A proposal for one-to-one Letter - Keyboard sign system

Practice your target languages here.
lowsocks
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner), German (beginner)

Re: Let's rename the Numbers/and the other Signs on the keyboard/

Postby lowsocks » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:20 pm

Speakeasy wrote:
SCMT wrote: For me in a 1980s semi-rural US middle school, the quick red fox jumped over the lazy brown dog. I guess you have to allow for regional differences in the colors of dogs and foxes.
You may be right here, the Wikipedia version seemed a little incomplete to me and I inserted "grey" from a rather shaky memory (my touch typing training dates from the early sixties). In addition, I remember typing "jumped", not "jumps" as in the Wikipedia version. As to the colour of the fox, I would leave it to our resident expert, reineike, to adjudicate the matter.
It seems that many people remember the sentence as using "jumped" rather than "jumps". But in fact, that doesn't quite work. You need "jumps" in order to have a sentence containing the letter "s". (Or else, change "dog" to "dogs"; or insert another word such as "sleeping", to give "...the lazy sleeping dog".)
0 x

SCMT
Orange Belt
Languages: Engilsh (N)
Spanish (Learning)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10551

Postby SCMT » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:30 am

lowsocks wrote:
Speakeasy wrote:
SCMT wrote: For me in a 1980s semi-rural US middle school, the quick red fox jumped over the lazy brown dog. I guess you have to allow for regional differences in the colors of dogs and foxes.
You may be right here, the Wikipedia version seemed a little incomplete to me and I inserted "grey" from a rather shaky memory (my touch typing training dates from the early sixties). In addition, I remember typing "jumped", not "jumps" as in the Wikipedia version. As to the colour of the fox, I would leave it to our resident expert, reineike, to adjudicate the matter.
It seems that many people remember the sentence as using "jumped" rather than "jumps". But in fact, that doesn't quite work. You need "jumps" in order to have a sentence containing the letter "s". (Or else, change "dog" to "dogs"; or insert another word such as "sleeping", to give "...the lazy sleeping dog".)

Yes, the exercise contained the word "jumps." However, I figured the fox vaulted the dog concurrently with my typing class in 1988, so I used the simple past to describe it. I believe the fox had jumped before, and I have heard the fox has jumped since, and I hope the fox will jump again. But that fox jumped then, as he probably jumps now. He would jump...

Ah, nevermind. I'm going to go review Spanish verb tenses again.
1 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish+ (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German+, Italian+
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian, Czech; Romanian+, Galician; Danish, Swedish
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Chaucer's English
+ means exploring the dialects/variants

Postby Serpent » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:49 am

Thread moved to the multilingual room.
waive15 wrote:When someone makes English subtitles of a movie, some WORDS are not allowed/permitted. Usually are used the odd signs on the keyboard but RANDOMLY. This is a kind of standardization. Probably not the best solution but a some solution of a simple task.

Phone numbers: for telephone prefixes. Intentionally all numbers are CONSONANTS so syllables can be made for easy pronunciation.

There are already various spelling systems https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_alphabet
However, this thread is not against the rules. If you don't think the system is useful, try your best to be constructive.

PS by the first part do you mean stuff like #%&(#% replacing insults?
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

waive15
White Belt
Languages: English

Postby waive15 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:42 pm

the post was of no good
Last edited by waive15 on Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish+ (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German+, Italian+
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian, Czech; Romanian+, Galician; Danish, Swedish
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Chaucer's English
+ means exploring the dialects/variants

Re: A proposal for one-to-one Letter - Keyboard sign system

Postby Serpent » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:06 am

yeah it was just a keymash lol.
Hmm I think in general the whole idea is that the insults or swear words swapped for characters like ¤#/)#% should not be readable. (Any euphemism eventually ends up being used as the word itself - a Russian example)
If a secret alphabet was necessary they would've created it already. When the audience needs to know which word it is, asterisks can be used: sn*w :lol:

In comic strips I've also seen punctuation characters used as unspecified swear words. This makes them easier to translate and also makes them accessible for a bigger audience, as everything is in the eye of the viewer :lol:
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “Multilingual Room”