Recommend a book about Polynesian mythology

Practice your target languages here.
Versus
White Belt
Languages: Serbian, English

Recommend a book about Polynesian mythology

Postby Versus » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:26 pm

Can you recommend some online books about Polynesian mythology? My son would like to know more about Maui but I did not find enough to answer his questions.
0 x

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Re: Recommend a book about Polynesian mythology

Postby kanewai » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:39 am

For Hawai`i, the books that get the most respect are:

Hawaiian Mythology. Martha Warren Beckwith (1940) (Has a chapter on Maui)

The Legends and Myths of Hawai`i. David Kalākaua (1888). A collection by the last king of Hawai`i. He was the one who reversed the Christian ban on hula.

Hawaiian Antiquities: Mo`olelo Hawai`i. David Malo (1838). People still refer to this book a lot; David Malo was born in the old religion and converted to Christianity. The book deals a lot with culture and practices, but contains a fair amount of mo`olelo (stories)

The Epic Tale of Hi'iakaikapoliopele. Puakea Nogelmeier. 2012. This is the epic 500-page story of the battle between the goddesses (and sisters) Pele and Hi`iaka for the love of the mortal Lohi`au, who was apparently the hottest guy ever. This was originally serialized in Hawaiian newspapers; Puakea made the first English-language translation in 2012. There have been hulas, plays, musicals, and modern dance interpretations; a group is currently working on developing a version for Broadway! (we saw some early previews). It's a very popular story here.

There are probably on-line public-domain versions out there of the older books.

Nā Kau a Hiʻiaka (with English subtitles)

Part 1

Part 2
9 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

Versus
White Belt
Languages: Serbian, English

Postby Versus » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:09 pm

Thank you very much Kanewai.
0 x

seanoconaill
Languages: Français (locuteur natif), espagnol (avancé), allemand (intermédiaire), japonais (débutant), irlandais (débutant), latin (débutant), arabe (débutant), ojibwé (débutant), portugais (débutant), italien (débutant), hébreu (débutant)

Postby seanoconaill » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:25 pm

Eteroa : mythes, légendes et traditions d'une île polynésienne, (Trad. du tahitien par Michel Brun. Préface d'Edgar Tetahiotupa, avant-propos et notes de Michel Brun) collection « L'aube des peuples », Gallimard, 2007.

et

Mythes tahitiens (Textes réunis par Teuira Henry. Trad. de l'anglais par Bertrand Jaunez. Édition d'Alain Babadzan), collection « L'aube des peuples », Gallimard, 1993.
0 x

Return to “Multilingual Room”