The FORMER A Language Learner's Forum Book Club

Practice your target languages here.
Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Re: A Language Learner's Forum Book Club 2019

Postby Mista » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:40 am

I'll be reading Metro 2033 in Swedish (it's one of many books I bought in Uppsala last summer, and I haven't started on a single one of them since I came home).
2 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:26 pm

I think I'll join you guys on this one as I voted for Metro. I'll probably read it in Spanish, in ebook format.

As a side note, I am particularly interested in reading this book, because I am too much of a scaredy cat to play the videogame :lol:
2 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:36 pm

I saw Maiwenn's post in Les Voyageurs' thread. I'm in for Les Hirondelles de Kaboul (in French) for March as well as for Metro 2033 (in German) for February.
1 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

Maiwenn
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) & French
focusing on: MSA & Moroccan Arabic
backburner: German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7321

Postby Maiwenn » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:53 am

In case anyone else needs a reading schedule for Metro 2033, I thought I'd post mine here:

Sunday, February 3rd: Chapters 1-2 (~67 pages)
Sunday, February 10th: Chapters 3-8 (~218 pages)
Sunday, February 17th: Chapters 9-14 (~238 pages)
Sunday, February 24th: Chapters 15-20 (~222 pages)

It turns out Metro 2033 is on the longer side, so I personally will need these reading targets to keep me on track. I've chosen Sundays as there's the weekend to catch up if Monday-Friday were too busy for reading. This also leaves us the last few days of February to discuss the book in its entirety spoiler-free.
5 x
SC reading: 3819 / 10000 AR
SC reading: 3334 / 5000 FR
SC reading: 65 / 2500 DE :?

Corrections are always welcome. :)

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.

Postby Mista » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:59 pm

Ok, so as we were talking about on the other thread, I started a new thread for the book club, in the hope that it will be easier to find and clearer what we are doing. Unfortunately, that means a little bit of hassle in the process of moving over, my apologies for that. Here's the link:

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 21&t=10009

I hope everyone can just go over there and follow it straight away, so you get notified when people start posting.

Also, please let me know if you have any suggestions for how to make the introductory post better or make the book club more accessible.
1 x

WildGinger10
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2 - active study), Russian (A1 - dabbling), French (A2ish - hibernating)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 89#p128527

Postby WildGinger10 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:03 pm

Maiwenn wrote:In case anyone else needs a reading schedule for Metro 2033, I thought I'd post mine here:

It turns out Metro 2033 is on the longer side, so I personally will need these reading targets to keep me on track. I've chosen Sundays as there's the weekend to catch up if Monday-Friday were too busy for reading. This also leaves us the last few days of February to discuss the book in its entirety spoiler-free.

Holy moly - I just looked it up and the German edition is nearly 800 pages - I'll have to pass on it for now until I get much more comfortable reading at this level, don't want to drown on my first time in the pool!
0 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:43 pm

WildGinger10 wrote:
Maiwenn wrote:In case anyone else needs a reading schedule for Metro 2033, I thought I'd post mine here:

Holy moly - I just looked it up and the German edition is nearly 800 pages - I'll have to pass on it for now until I get much more comfortable reading at this level, don't want to drown on my first time in the pool!

Ok, that's interesting ... my Swedish translation has just 450 pages :shock:
0 x

rlnv
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby rlnv » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:48 pm

I'm reading Metro 2033 in French. It's shaping up to be an interesting read. Word count using Pages on Mac is 202,050.
2 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:09 am

The original Russian Metro 2033 is under 400 pages according to the Wiki page, and according to Amazon, the English paperback edition is 460 pages. Not sure why the German edition is listing as being so much larger, but I'm not having too much difficulty with it myself, so I'm still in.
2 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

David27
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
French, Spanish (advanced)
Russian, Portuguese, Italian, German (proficient)
Mandarin, Japanese, Dutch (low-intermediate)
Latin, Polish: (beginner)
Abandoned languages (for now) :( Greek, Czech, Bengali, Arabic, Norwegian

Postby David27 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:31 pm

Just downloaded it in Russian to my iPad. It was in my reading list so this is a great excuse to get into it. I’m wrapping up a detective book in russian (Boris Akunin- one of his Fandorin books), and I’m a slow reader in russian so I may fall behind, but I will be participating!
0 x

Return to “Multilingual Room”