A Language Learner's Forum Book Club 2018

Practice your target languages here.
MamaPata
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Russian (B1), Spanish (A2).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Re: A Language Learner's Forum Book Club 2018

Postby MamaPata » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:49 am

On the topic of Emma, there are a few adaptations that people might like to watch (and perhaps boost super challenge numbers). I don't know how easy it is to find dubbed versions, so might be for people with English as a TL.

Emma (film), ft Gwyneth Paltrow. - Honestly I think this is pretty terrible, but as far as I know it was reasonably successful.
Emma (TV, BBC), ft Romona Garai and Johnny Lee Miller. - I think this is great and would absolutely recommend it. It's pretty faithful to the book as I remember and very watchable. Plus, they're both very attractive.
Clueless (film). - For anyone who hasn't come across Clueless, it's a modern adaptation of Emma, set in a US high school. It's great fun. It stands alone as a film and I think a lot of people didn't know it was an adaptation (the plot changes quite a bit, though the fundamentals are the same I would say).
2 x

DaveAgain
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native), French (intermediate), German (beginner).

Postby DaveAgain » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:13 pm

Mista wrote:Who will be reading Emma, and in which language?

I'll be reading it in English. I generally like to read books in the original language (in fact, it's one of the reasons I'm into language learning), and I'm not even halfway with last month's book, so I think this is the only way I can do both.
I had intended to try reading it in german while listening to english audio (I recently watched a Prof Arguelles video where he suggested that among other things), but I've just downloaded an english language copy from a german library (?), so I'm taking that as *A SIGN*, and I'll read in english. :-)
0 x

DaveAgain
Orange Belt

Postby DaveAgain » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:02 am

I'm enjoying Emma. Every chapter seems to provide one or two slightly odd phrases that jump out at me, today's were:

"...and when he had drank his tea"

That was jarring. So WRONG.

"...and Emma was quite in charity with him."

(Chapter 15).

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/158
1 x

kanewai
Green Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: French, Italian, Spanish
Studying: German, Japanese,
Inactive: Turkish, Arabic, Indonesian, Chuukese (Micronesian)
Very Inactive: :Latin, Ancient Greek

Postby kanewai » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:57 am

Can you explain more? “And when he had drunk his tea” sounds like standard spoken American English to my ears.
0 x
El bosque oscuro: 10 / 100
Le metamorfosi: 0 / 100
Le comte de Monte-Cristo III: 11 / 27
Ulysses: 10 / 25

DaveAgain
Orange Belt

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:38 pm

kanewai wrote:Can you explain more? “And when he had drunk his tea” sounds like standard spoken American English to my ears.
Yes, that's what I would have expected, but that's not what Ms Austen wrote.
0 x

MamaPata
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Russian (B1), Spanish (A2).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:09 pm

Yeah, the first sounds really wrong these days. The second though, sounds archaic and I wouldn't ever say it, but doesn't sound wrong to me.
0 x

DaveAgain
Orange Belt

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:17 pm

MamaPata wrote:Yeah, the first sounds really wrong these days. The second though, sounds archaic and I wouldn't ever say it, but doesn't sound wrong to me.
No the second was just odd. I had to look up charity in the dictionary to decide quite what she might have intended. :-)
charity |ˈtʃarɪti|
noun (pl.charities)
1 an organization set up to provide help and raise money for those in need. the charity provides practical help for homeless people.
• [ mass noun ] the body of organizations viewed collectively as the object of fundraising or of donations: the proceeds of the sale will go to charity.
2 [ mass noun ] the voluntary giving of help, typically in the form of money, to those in need. the care of the poor must not be left to private charity.
• help or money given to those in need: an unemployed teacher living on charity.
3 [ mass noun ] kindness and tolerance in judging others: she found it hard to look on her mother with much charity.
• archaic love of humankind, typically in a Christian context: faith, hope, and charity.
0 x

Return to “Multilingual Room”