German sie vs Sie

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
AML
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

German sie vs Sie

Postby AML » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:42 pm

A German friend of mine (native German speaker from Hamburg) was translating some English to German for me, and I noticed that he always uses "sie" in situations where I always thought it should be "Sie" (formal/polite). For example, "Sie zahlen mir jetzt den ganzen Betrag, wenn ich den Tisch für sie reservieren soll." I thought that you ALWAYS use "Sie", with the capital S, in formal/polite situations like this. He insists that it's "sie" (lower case). I'm so confused.

I asked him about this, and he said that you only use "Sie" (capitalized) when the author is speaking directly to the reader (like when you sometimes see Du or Dir in the middle of a sentence).
0 x

Doitsujin
Green Belt
Languages: German (N)

Re: German sie vs Sie

Postby Doitsujin » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:20 pm

AML wrote:I asked him about this, and he said that you only use "Sie" (capitalized) when the author is speaking directly to the reader (like when you sometimes see Du or Dir in the middle of a sentence).
The explanation is utter nonsense. The spelling of formal personal pronoun is alway Sie with a capital S.
BTW, I don't know what the original English sentence was, but I find the translation a bit rude. (It does reflect actual spoken German, though.) ;)
3 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:24 pm

"für Sie reservieren" : he adresses a single person, the guest is alone
"für sie reservieren": the person adressed as "Sie" is reserving a table for a group": "sie" meaning
"für Sie und Ihre Freunde"
Last edited by Kraut on Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Postby SGP » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:25 pm

AML wrote:A German friend of mine (native German speaker from Hamburg) was translating some English to German for me, and I noticed that he always uses "sie" in situations where I always thought it should be "Sie" (formal/polite). For example, "Sie zahlen mir jetzt den ganzen Betrag, wenn ich den Tisch für sie reservieren soll." I thought that you ALWAYS use "Sie", with the capital S, in formal/polite situations like this. He insists that it's "sie" (lower case). I'm so confused.
In that example, both occurrences of "Sie" are the same. It is simply the formal way of addressing someone you wouldn't call "du".

I asked him about this, and he said that you only use "Sie" (capitalized) when the author is speaking directly to the reader (like when you sometimes see Du or Dir in the middle of a sentence).
In the example above, the waiter is speaking to the customer in a very direct way. Addressing him/her as "Sie", just as another person would be addressed as "du".

"sie" without capitalization is (the female 3rd person singular, and also) the 3rd person male/female plural. We use the capital S to make it clear that it is meant as an Anrede (way of addressing someone), rather than a way of speaking about someone in the 3rd person.

However, a lot of us natives mix up those things every now and then. There is a very wide-spread sign that can be seen in places of construction (Baustellen). It says, "Eltern haften für ihre Kinder.". I.e., "parents are responsible for their children". However, I have seen way too many of those signs with a capital I instead. "Eltern haften für Ihre Kinder." is more about "(Any) parents are responsible for (your, yes, your!) children" :roll:...
1 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

Kat
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (advanced), Dutch (intermediate)

Postby Kat » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:33 pm

AML wrote:A German friend of mine (native German speaker from Hamburg) was translating some English to German for me, and I noticed that he always uses "sie" in situations where I always thought it should be "Sie" (formal/polite).

What's the pronoun in the original English sentence? You or they?
0 x
Transcription challenge: 1. episode of De Ijzeren Eeuw (The Iron Century)
Minutes: 6 / 43

Philipp
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N); English (what you see); Spanish, Norwegian, French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8347

Postby Philipp » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:37 pm

Your friend is mixing up the rules for Sie and du. Du/Ihr can be capitalized when speaking to some directly, e.g. in a letter.

According to the Duden:

https://www.duden.de/sprachwissen/sprac ... von-sieSie
https://www.duden.de/sprachwissen/sprac ... und-ihrIhr
0 x
Corrections are welcome!

AML
Orange Belt

Postby AML » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:46 pm

Kat wrote:
AML wrote:A German friend of mine (native German speaker from Hamburg) was translating some English to German for me, and I noticed that he always uses "sie" in situations where I always thought it should be "Sie" (formal/polite).

What's the pronoun in the original English sentence? You or they?

You.
Speaking to one man.
0 x

Kat
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (advanced), Dutch (intermediate)

Postby Kat » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:56 pm

AML wrote:You.
Speaking to one man.

In that case your friend is mixing something up. "Sie" should definitely be capitalized.
Otherwise, I'd assume that the waiter means a group of other people or a female but not the man he is actually talking to.

I like this overwiew:

Beispiele zur Groß- und Kleinschreibung von "Sie" und "sie"

"Haben Sie [= Ihr Gegenüber] die Leute an der Ecke gesehen? Es kommt mir so vor, als hätten sie [= die Leute] Sie [= Ihr Gegenüber] nicht gegrüßt."
"Haben Sie [= Ihr Gegenüber] die Leute an der Ecke gesehen? Es kommt mir so vor, als hätten Sie [= Ihr Gegenüber] sie [= die Leute] nicht gegrüßt."
"Kennen Sie [= Ihr Gegenüber] die Telefonnummer der Werkstatt? Ich würde gerne dort anrufen, um einen ihrer [= Mitarbeiter der Werkstatt] Mitarbeiter zu sprechen."
"Wie geht es Ihnen [= Ihr Gegenüber] heute? Der Besuch ist da. Können sie [= der Besuch] reinkommen?"

https://praxistipps.focus.de/sie-klein- ... -ist_98954

It might look a bit confusing at first but I think it explains the different options and meanings pretty well.
2 x
Transcription challenge: 1. episode of De Ijzeren Eeuw (The Iron Century)
Minutes: 6 / 43

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Postby SGP » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:33 pm

Kat wrote:I like this overwiew:

Beispiele zur Groß- und Kleinschreibung von "Sie" und "sie"[...]

It might look a bit confusing at first but I think it explains the different options and meanings pretty well.
Confusing? Yes, maybe. Rather information-dense. Requoting your source with some color-coding added ;) #ColorCodingIsADoubleEdgedSword #SomeMayBenefitSomeMayNot.

[https://praxistipps.focus . de/sie-klein-oder-gross-wann-welche-schreibweise-richtig-ist_98954] ; emphasis The Color Coder's :lol: wrote:Beispiele zur Groß- und Kleinschreibung von "Sie" und "sie"

"Haben Sie [= Ihr Gegenüber] die Leute an der Ecke gesehen? Es kommt mir so vor, als hätten sie [= die Leute] Sie [= Ihr Gegenüber] nicht gegrüßt."

"Haben Sie [= Ihr Gegenüber] die Leute an der Ecke gesehen? Es kommt mir so vor, als hätten Sie [= Ihr Gegenüber] sie [= die Leute] nicht gegrüßt."

"Kennen Sie [= Ihr Gegenüber] die Telefonnummer der Werkstatt? Ich würde gerne dort anrufen, um einen ihrer [= Mitarbeiter der Werkstatt] Mitarbeiter zu sprechen."

"Wie geht es Ihnen [= Ihr Gegenüber] heute? Der Besuch ist da. Können sie [= der Besuch] reinkommen?"
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

AML
Orange Belt

Postby AML » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:27 am

Update:
I chatted with him, and he admitted that he made a mistake. Indeed, the polite/formal Sie should be capitalized...as everyone but him knew... :lol:
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”