Obtaining French materials

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Re: Obtaining French materials

Postby Arnaud » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:09 am

Captvty to record all the replay TV.
It's probably working only in France, but if you have a VPN, perhaps it's also working...I don't know, just let me know...
0 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: Obtaining French materials

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:18 am

Sayonaroo wrote:be sure to check out your local library in case they carry buffy dvds, french movies, etc.

if you decide to get foreign dvds, you do not need to change the region of your computer. you can use VLC player to play foreign dvds.

I second this comment. VLC is free, and it requires no special expertise to use. I think but I am not sure it plays DVDs from any region. I know from personal experience that it definitely plays French DVDs made for the French region (whatever region that is), while I live in the USA. You can download VLC here: https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Also, I don't know how far along you are in French, but if you search for the term Documentaire français in your browser the results will lead to a number of sites with documentaries in French. If you search for that same term in YouTube, the results will be a number of documentaries there. I like documentaries because their content is meatier than most TV shows and because the narrators are (usually) easier to follow than dialogues in TV programs and movies. Plus, they are totally free. Currently I am watching a series of programs narrated in French about World War 2. I'm learning more about the war than I need or want to know, but at the very least it is not dull. I can understand most everything the narrator says, whereas in regular TV and movies I am often lost. There are of course documentaries on many other subjects, but the WW2 seriies is the one I happened on first.

Following emk's suggestion, I too watched Buffy. Just the first season I think, but it was definitely helpful.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”