How do I make my own anki decks for Hebrew?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
sporedandroid
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (heritage/intermediate), Hebrew (A2-B1)

How do I make my own anki decks for Hebrew?

Postby sporedandroid » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:27 am

So I’m having some issues with Hebrew in particular. It has no vowels, so I pretty much need sound for it. I know Asian languages have it worse, but they are a lot more popular than Hebrew. I’m using shared decks at the moment but they are boring. I know they’d be a lot more interesting if I created them myself.
0 x

Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Re: How do I make my own anki decks for Hebrew?

Postby Saim » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:36 am

You can check forvo, pealim.com (often shows plural and possessive forms, not just verbs), morfix or milog for pronunciations. For the latter two you have to know Hebrew vowel diacritics.

I use sentence cards exclusively and record myself for the audio after checking the pronunciation, but if you don't want to do that you can add Romanisation on the back side of your card.
1 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:01 pm

I had issues making decks for Hebrew also and had to develop a few work arounds.

For sound, I use recording in Forvo to download a file and paste into a sound field in Anki. My other sound sources are recordings from learning material Pimsleur, Assimil or FSI. I use Audacity to "chop" these up.

Because of the absence of vowels, some of my cards also include pronunciation/romanisation (IPA or my own). And because I want to be able to read both print and script, my cards also have a field to auto-generate cursive text. You can find that method outlined here: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=5744

Feel free to ask questions if you need details on any of this.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

AML
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby AML » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:41 pm

sporedandroid wrote:So I’m having some issues with Hebrew in particular. It has no vowels, so I pretty much need sound for it. I know Asian languages have it worse, but they are a lot more popular than Hebrew. I’m using shared decks at the moment but they are boring. I know they’d be a lot more interesting if I created them myself.

I 100% understand the problems you're having.

1. The online dictionary Rav-Milim is great and gives you nikkud even for conjugated words. It costs money, but hey, good things often cost money. It's the best online Hebrew dictionary by far because of this feature.
2. The free, but great, website TeachMeHebrew have tons of examples and they all have transliteration (including word stress) and audio. They also have free Anki decks with transliteration and audio.
0 x

sporedandroid
Blue Belt

Postby sporedandroid » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:01 pm

AML wrote:
sporedandroid wrote:So I’m having some issues with Hebrew in particular. It has no vowels, so I pretty much need sound for it. I know Asian languages have it worse, but they are a lot more popular than Hebrew. I’m using shared decks at the moment but they are boring. I know they’d be a lot more interesting if I created them myself.

1. The online dictionary Rav-Milim is great and gives you nikkud even for conjugated words. It costs money, but hey, good things often cost money. It's the best online Hebrew dictionary by far because of this feature.
2. The free, but great, website TeachMeHebrew have tons of examples and they all have transliteration (including word stress) and audio. They also have free Anki decks with transliteration and audio.

I’m using teachmehebrew decks at the moment. They’re helpful, but a bit boring. Any way to spice them up?
0 x

AML
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby AML » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:57 am

sporedandroid wrote:
AML wrote:

I’m using teachmehebrew decks at the moment. They’re helpful, but a bit boring. Any way to spice them up?

Get a speaking partner and create sentences based on your conversations. Your speaking partner could even provide audio for you.
0 x

sporedandroid
Blue Belt

Postby sporedandroid » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:06 am

AML wrote:
sporedandroid wrote:
AML wrote:

Get a speaking partner and create sentences based on your conversations. Your speaking partner could even provide audio for you.

How do you find a speaking partner? I kind of have social anxiety and awkwardness in general. I’m also embarrassed about learning Hebrew because I’m just a gentile who’s interested in learning about Judaism.
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.

Postby zenmonkey » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:47 pm

sporedandroid wrote:
AML wrote:
sporedandroid wrote:
AML wrote:

How do you find a speaking partner? I kind of have social anxiety and awkwardness in general. I’m also embarrassed about learning Hebrew because I’m just a gentile who’s interested in learning about Judaism.

Go to italki and sign up. All sorts of people will reach out to you to exchange your language for Hebrew. No need to be embarrassed, lots of people learn Hebrew for a variety of non-religious reasons.
0 x

sporedandroid
Blue Belt

Postby sporedandroid » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:18 pm

So I have the Hebrew from scratch deck, but it doesn’t work on ankiweb. What’s a good way to fix that deck? It looks super helpful.
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:28 pm

sporedandroid wrote:So I have the Hebrew from scratch deck, but it doesn’t work on ankiweb. What’s a good way to fix that deck? It looks super helpful.

"At this time, it is not possible to add shared decks directly to your AnkiWeb account - they need to be added from the desktop then synchronized to AnkiWeb."

Try that first.
You may need to then add a font file and edit your cards to use that font.

Which of the four Hebrew from Scratch decks are you tying to use?
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”