The English Past Perfect in Bulgarian

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: The English Past Perfect in Bulgarian

Postby Iversen » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:50 pm

When I first saw the Polish endings I only knew one Slavic language, namely Russian (and badly!). And Russian had long ago dropped their auxiliary, so it looked as if the Poles just had added personal endings to the participle. Maybe that's why it hasn't ever occurred to me that the Polish endings could be the result of fusion with a real existing word, namely the auxiliary. The end result is of course the same, but in terms of how the Poles got there the explanation of Aquarius is much more convincing.

By the way, I have decided to revise my green grammar sheets for the Bulgarian verbs. The LanguageGulper nomenclature from the previous page is much more logical than the one I have taken over from my Francophone book.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”