Clozemaster question about languages with a case system

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Clozemaster question about languages with a case system

Postby StringerBell » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:05 am

I'm not sure exactly how to phrase this question, so hopefully it's not too confusing.

For those who have a paid/premium Clozemaster account and are using it with a language that has a case system: Is it possible to choose sentences with a specific case/declension, and if so, can you choose to only get sentences with nouns / adjectives of a specific gender and number?

Example: Could I choose to get a group of sentences that all have feminine singular nouns in the Accusative? Or a group of sentences that all have neuter plural nouns in the Genitive?

What kind of control do you have in determining the sentences that Clozemaster shows you?
0 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Re: Clozemaster question about languages with a case system

Postby lingua » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:22 am

If you pay you have a Cloze Collection option (it's in beta) where you can use the bank of sentences they have or add your own (by uploading a file or manually). If you choose from the bank you can do a search. It might be a little tedious. I only checked the options and it's not something I've ever tried to use. You give your collection a name and can have as many as you want. You also have the option of making them public for others to use. It looks like you can have them in random order if you choose that option. Otherwise I assume it goes in the order you added them.
1 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:46 am

I did not know you could upload your own sentences. That might make the Pro version worth it, if I can get it on sale again, as I mostly use it right now or practicing Celtic languages and all the courses for Celtic languages there lack the nice bits and bobs you can get with other courses (only Welsh has a listening option at the moment). The Scottish Gaelic course has a depressingly pithy 499 sentences (for me it's only 491, because I reported 7 as containing errors and a 8th because it was in Irish and not Scottish Gaelic, and apparently reporting sentences removes them from your queue). Welsh isn't any better--it only has 405 sentences. Breton has over 750 sentence, but many were entered sloppily, or written either very colloquially or in a dialect I'm not familiar with (that is, if they're not simply incorrect).

All and all, it's not exactly making me eager to give Clozemaster my money, but another holiday discount in the future plus being able to add my own sentence make tempt me...provided of course if this option is available for all courses.
0 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:01 pm

I am not interested in inputing my own sentences, I am interested in potentially using Clozemaster as a way to source a huge list of sentences that have very specific grammatical points (singular feminine nouns in the Accusative case, for example). I'm just not sure if with a premium account I'd be able to select the kinds of sentences that I'm looking for.
0 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:34 am

With the Cloze Collection, you can add all of your sentences from the existing bank of sentences but it would be a tedious exercise since you'd have to search and add them.
1 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:36 pm

Thanks, Lingua. So maybe Clozemaster isn't what I'm looking for, after all.
0 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:43 pm

StringerBell wrote:I am not interested in inputing my own sentences, I am interested in potentially using Clozemaster as a way to source a huge list of sentences that have very specific grammatical points (singular feminine nouns in the Accusative case, for example). I'm just not sure if with a premium account I'd be able to select the kinds of sentences that I'm looking for.

No.

Clozemaster's material is drawn from Tatoeba.org -- you can get the database from Tatoeba for free, but there is no grammatical tagging in the database -- just sentences in translation. They've done a bit of basic analysis to make a good approximation of easy->hard (picking the most common words first, starting with smaller sentences) but Clozemaster (last I looked) was always pretty basic.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”