Focusing on a Heritage Language

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
zmbrk
Languages: Finnish (N), English (fluent), Russian (heritage), Swedish (B2), German (B2)

Focusing on a Heritage Language

Postby zmbrk » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:37 pm

Hi there,

I was born in Russia, grew up in Finland, and went through university studies in the US.

I've always spoken Russian with my family members, but I have the same heritage language symptoms as many others: slow reading speed, small vocabulary, difficulty writing, and weak grammar. Nevertheless, few people realize I'm a heritage speaker, so I guess I'm quite good at faking it in a conversation. ;)

Russian is still the family language for me. In other words, I could not imagine speaking Finnish or English to my future kids, for example. Because of this, I feel like it is my obligation to get my Russian to a native (or near-native) level.

So far I have used LingQ for reading news articles and books. It has helped my vocabulary and reading quite a bit within a year and I will definitely keep using it daily.

Has anyone here been in a similar situation? What did you try, and what worked? Any recommendations?

Thanks a lot! :)
4 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt
Languages: Japanese(JLPT N3), Finnish(beginner), English(native)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=721

Re: Focusing on a Heritage Language

Postby cathrynm » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:28 pm

Not quite, but I'm also learning heritage language. I grew up mono-lingual English household in the USA, but I did have some Finnish spoken at me by my grandmother, but I never picked up much. My father is Japanese, and grew up speaking the language, but I was exposed to less of this. So now, mostly I'm kind of muddling along trying to learn both these best I can -- doing it the hard way as an adult. I'm not super successful at this, though I think partly it's just both of these are kind of difficult. Anyway, good luck!
0 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:02 pm

I have Polish as a heritage language. When I finally get around to learning it, I will want to learn it to a high level so I can expose my kids to it.

I grew up with my parents speaking phrases to me, but unless they translated them for me, I did not know what they meant. My mom tried to speak Polish to me as a three year-old with fluent English skills, and gave up when I wouldn't respond to her in Polish.

So I'm not exactly in your situation, but I can relate because it does have some similarities being that it is a heritage language we're talking about.

Forum member @Saim learned Serbian, his heritage language, up to a high level. You might try contacting him to see if he has any tips. It might be especially useful since that language is Slavic. @StringerBell is also learning Polish, the language of her heritage. @Snowflake too is learning her heritage language, Chinese. Would that help?
2 x

Chmury
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Castellano (Adv)
German (Int)
Dutch (Int)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1516

Postby Chmury » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:02 am

Well firstly, you already actually speak Russian with your family members which is awesome and they respond to you in Russian also, so you should have absolutely no problem in getting up to C2 level, since the language is already in your DNA so to speak.

I grew up in a household where everyone spoke a dialect of Dutch (Twents) and occasionally Polish to each other, with the exception of myself, whom they spoke English to. So I got a lot of exposure to Dutch/Twents, but they never once encouraged me (but speaking Dutch/Twents to me) to speak the language. So in my mid twenties, I decided to improve my Dutch so that I could speak it with my family and so connect more with that cultural side of me and in a way become closer to my family. Despite at least two years of effort on my part, in which my Dutch improved considerably, my family still refused, albeit unconsciously, to speak Dutch/Twents with me, as they were so used to speaking English, and it either felt weird for them to now start speaking the home language with me, or they simply didn't want to make the effort. This is why I think your in a great situation as your family already speak to you in Russian, and even if they're not aware of what that action means, supporting your future improvement in the language.

What would I recommend you do in order to get better? What every other language learner does. Find materials that suit your level and go for it! If you've already got a lot of the basic grammar intuitively down, find those grammatical points which you're unsure about and drill them until they are second nature. It might be worth simply going over intermediate and advanced grammar books a few times and becoming familiar with how certain structures are formed, if those grammatical structures aren't already instinctive to you. And by the sound of things you're already capable of understanding native materials, so read and listen a hell of a lot, and when you come across something you don't understand, write it down, figure out what it means, continue, and repeat. I find the only difference between heritage language learners who have some previous exposure to their language is that their starting line is a bit ahead of everyone else (or quite ahead, depending), having already learnt some of the language growing up and so already being somewhat attuned to it. And of course their motivation for learning the language is usually much more intrinsic.

You're in a really great position and I envy you, having people who have always spoken Russian with you. So it's just a matter of time and effort really, and I'm sure you'll have no problem reaching C2 very quickly if people already don't know after speaking with you that you aren't fluent in the language.

Oh and another thing, tell everyone in your family who you like speaking to that you're trying to improve your Russian and simply talk with them as much as you can!! They might get really involved in your project and you might get calls daily where you'll be able to try out new words and structures you've learnt, and even pick up new ones. Also write letters and postcards to family members if you get the chance. Writing is another excellent way of giving yourself the opportunity to try out new vocab and structures you've learnt, and also to refine what you already know.

All the best!
5 x
Hindernisse und Schwierigkeiten sind Stufen, auf denen wir in die Höhe steigen

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:48 pm

I would suggest reading this thread on overcoming a language plateau, as I think many of the suggestion would also be useful in your situation. The way I see it, you are a native speaker, but one who has been hampered in your language development by not having a wide range of contact with other native speakers and by not being educated in the language. You have certain advantages over foreign learners in that you probably have perfect or near perfect pronunciation and intonation and a good ear for what sounds right gramatically. But like other learners, you haven't grown up going to school in the language and you probably have mostly only talked to a very limited number of people (family members in your case) rather than the wide range of people you would have had to talk to growing up in the country. Now you have to make up for that. So, try to recreate what you missed. Find the sort of grammar and exercise book that Russians use in junior high school / high school / equivalent. Read the kinds of books they would have to read, and write the kinds of papers they would have to write. Find some native speakers you can talk to on a wide range of topics and not just everyday domestic small talk. You will probably still have some small holes, but we all have those. Multilingual people just notice them more than monolinguals because we have different holes in different languages.
6 x

Daniel N.
Green Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), English (C1), German (beginner)

Postby Daniel N. » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:31 am

Are you able to follow a movie or TV news in Russian? What about reading web sites or novels?
1 x
Check Easy Croatian (very useful for Bosnian, Montenegrin and Serbian as well)

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”