How can I get better at switching languages ala polyglot video method?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

How can I get better at switching languages ala polyglot video method?

Postby leosmith » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:40 am

My goal is to be able to switch seamlessly between my 10 languages. This comes in handy surprisingly often during my travels, especially but not limited to language exchange meetups. I've decided to train myself a bit using a "polyglot video" structure - record myself switching between the languages, approximately 1 minute intervals. I don't want to rehearse or do multi-takes because I won't have that luxury in real life. Questions:

1) I would love to have some sort of alarm system that's built into the video that would flash a new language every minute. I want to be able to see the new language name, and it should appear in the video too. I suppose a work around would be to hold a set of large randomly shuffled flashcards with language names on them, and show a new one while an external timer rings every 1 minute. Any suggestion on how to get this done?

2) Do you have any suggestions how to get good at this drill in general? I mean, I know I have some weak languages (especially Swahili and Tagalog to a lesser extent), but outside of fixing these any good general advice? I know many of you have made polyglot videos so I look forward to your advice.

2 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: How can I get better at switching languages ala polyglot video method?

Postby rdearman » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:22 pm

You might try an interval training app on your phone or PC. There is an android example below.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... abatatimer
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Postby SGP » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:13 pm

leosmith wrote:My goal is to be able to switch seamlessly between my 10 languages. This comes in handy surprisingly often during my travels, especially but not limited to language exchange meetups.
Any particular reason for them being ten exactly, rather than less or more?

(Asking as "Somewhat Geeky Polyglot" and as a fellow Swahili speaker :)).
1 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:43 pm

Very impressive!

Just practice - keep a card or a list on the screen on the languages/topics and run through it.
And relax, you were a little nervous but it was just nicely done.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Postby Axon » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:30 am

I have no advice other than "excellent work, keep doing the same thing" but I wonder if you could expand on how switching languages comes into use in your travels. Sometimes I'm surprised by someone speaking a language I didn't expect (Russian tourists, museum workers who speak no English but perfect French, German-speaking librarians) but that's pretty rare and I've never yet had to flip between several surprise languages.
1 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:35 am

rdearman wrote:You might try an interval training app on your phone or PC. There is an android example below. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... abatatimer

Thanks - I'll check it out.
SGP wrote:Any particular reason for them being ten exactly, rather than less or more? (Asking as "Somewhat Geeky Polyglot" and as a fellow Swahili speaker :)).

10 is all I've I got buddy :) I can no longer claim to be a fellow Swahili speaker...but I hope to rejoin your ranks by September. Incidentally, you and anyone else are welcome to join me to go to my school's opening ceremony in Tanzania in September. Karibu bwana!
zenmonkey wrote:Very impressive! Just practice - keep a card or a list on the screen on the languages/topics and run through it. And relax, you were a little nervous but it was just nicely done.

Thanks! I like your idea of having a list of languages/topics on the screen; I could even randomize it using an anki deck. But I’m hoping to find a way for that to (preferably automatically) show up on the video.
0 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:48 am

Axon wrote:I wonder if you could expand on how switching languages comes into use in your travels.

The place where I’m most likely to use all my languages in one sitting is in a language exchange meet-up. Meet-ups aren’t usually very good for practicing a single target language ime (unless your L2 is English), but I usually end up exchanging with native and non native speakers in several languages. Some people speak lots of languages, and it’s great fun for me.

Second most common time for several languages is a one-on-one language exchange. These people typically speak fewer languages, but better. In person or online. I remember once speaking with an incredible polyglot in Taiwan. If I recall, she spoke 3 asian languages and 4 European at a high level. And you may remember this open letter to angry girl, although it wasn't really a language exchange.

I often create my own opportunities when I travel. I talk to the locals a lot, they remark on my language skills, ask if I can speak any others, and sometimes speak their L2s. I sometimes help tourists, which is a total blast. I remember some Russian tourists, 2 pretty drunk young men and a striking young woman, jumping on the back of the local transpo that I was in with 2 cute Thai girls, and the inevitable happened. One Russian guy started hitting on a Thai girl, who was clearly flattered. She said something to him, he didn’t understand, so I blurted out the translation in Russian. The group of Russians were amazed that I spoke Thai, then a few minutes later when they realized I wasn’t Russian. I translated for the Thai girl too. They went separate ways though, haha. I tend to stick my nose in others peoples business if they truly need help. I like helping people, and it brings me out of my shell a bit.

For an average traveler who wants to mind his own business, it’s easy to avoid these situations. But I look for them when I’m in the mood. Opportunities are so plentiful I ignore 90% of them and still would find the ability to switch languages seamlessly very handy.
0 x

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Postby SGP » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:30 am

leosmith wrote:
SGP wrote:Any particular reason for them being ten exactly, rather than less or more? (Asking as "Somewhat Geeky Polyglot" and as a fellow Swahili speaker :)).
10 is all I've I got buddy :)
Maybe I should SGP-clarify this particular question :lol:. Was asking for reasons like: because we use the decimal system, people tend to consider 10 a "very complete number". But no need to re-answer if you would prefer not to. As I said... somewhat geeky.

Karibu sana sana. Nimefuraha kwa sababu ninakujua [*].

[*] This may or may not be an example of improvised Swahili (a.k.a. sligthy resembling Tarzan speak, but I am here for All Things Communication). "-ku-" is an object suffix here.
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”