Production Practice Problems for Introverts, or Woe Is Me

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Re: Production Practice Problems for Introverts, or Woe Is Me

Postby arthaey » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:35 pm

Serpent wrote:That's something most people can relate to. Do you get more energized from being around people or alone?

Alone. Hands down.

This year in Mexico has taught me that I could be a very happy hermit, so long as I had internet. ;)

Even when I'm hanging out with my closest friends and we're all speaking in English and the conversation topics are interesting and engaging, it's like I have an "interaction meter" like a battery meter, and once it's been "too long", I need to go be myself to re-energize.
2 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

arthaey
Brown Belt
EN (native);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)

Postby arthaey » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:38 pm

garyb wrote:Same for spending time alone: sometimes it can help me recharge but other times it's tiring and I feel the need to be around people. I seem to need a balance of both.

I would expect that, like any bell curve–ish thing, many people need more of a balance. I suspect that few people are on either end of the extreme. (From talking with others, I seem to be on the extreme introvert side, thus this thread venting. ;))
2 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:43 pm

Me too :lol: And no I don't need to be saved :P :twisted: 8-)
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

arthaey
Brown Belt
EN (native);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)

Postby arthaey » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:50 pm

Serpent wrote:Me too :lol: And no I don't need to be saved :P :twisted: 8-)

:introvert-fistbump: Introverts unite!! ...but not frequently. That gets tiring. ;)
9 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:16 pm

I am also a rather introvert person, and it certainly means that I get less speaking practice than I otherwise would. I prefer being with one person at a time rather than in a group, I am not good at initiating small talk with people I don't know (like in coctail parties), and if I have the choice between having lunch in the cafeteria with colleagues or a sandwich in my office browsing the internet, I often prefer the second option. I consider myself lucky not to be in an open-space office. Also at home, when I am with wife and kids, I need a period of being alone - luckily I like to cook, and I don't let anyone into the kitchen when I am making dinner - instead I put on the radio or listen to some Russian pop music.

I have missed som great opportunities to practise Russian because of this. I have Russian colleagues, but so far I have not tried to speak Russian with any of them - I probably would only do so if I were already at a C1 level. I know this is not just about being introvert, but also about having the "courage" to make a fool of yourself ;) And I could have made Russian acquaintances on holiday several times, but I am not the person to walk up to a stranger and initiate a conversation. I normally stay put with my nose in a book.
1 x
Ich grolle nicht

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:48 pm

Ogrim wrote:I have missed som great opportunities to practise Russian because of this. I have Russian colleagues, but so far I have not tried to speak Russian with any of them - I probably would only do so if I were already at a C1 level. I know this is not just about being introvert, but also about having the "courage" to make a fool of yourself ;) And I could have made Russian acquaintances on holiday several times, but I am not the person to walk up to a stranger and initiate a conversation. I normally stay put with my nose in a book.

When I travelled to Italy I carried a notebook which I marked down the number of Italian conversations and people I spoke to. I had created myself a target and held myself accountable. I'm not an extrovert by nature, but this type of thing forces you out of your shell if you're going to hit your targets!
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:27 pm

tarvos wrote:It happens to everyone if you speak a language a lot that you aren't used to speaking. What that means is you need more practice and to keep on truckin'.

I'm going to second the person who replied and said it isn't an issue of needing more practice, it's an issue of just being around and talking to people. This isn't something that is unique to language learning or functioning in an environment that isn't in your L1. For me it's an issue of both introversion and depression, I have friends for whom it's just an issue of introversion, others who attribute it to their social anxiety, etc etc.
4 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Polyclod
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish, French, German (Intermediate)
Learning: Russian
Hit List: Brazilian Portuguese, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1181

Postby Polyclod » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:50 pm

I grew out of a lot of my shyness, something seemed to happen when I hit 30 and I just felt more confident/comfortable in my own skin, but that sense of being more at ease alone is definitely there. There are many times my friends have to drag me out, when I'd be much happier spending a quiet night at home.

I'd say don't force yourself too much. Honestly it may be that the people you're taking to just aren't that interesting. Quality over quantity and all that. I try to speak as much Spanish and French throughout the day as possible, but I'm not heading to the mall anytime soon to chat up strangers. :D
1 x
Bücher:

Star Trek The Next Generation Tod im Winter: 82 / 348

Русский

Assimil Russian: 30 / 100

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:38 pm

There's also a great book about this called Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain.
2 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:24 pm

rdearman wrote:When I travelled to Italy I carried a notebook which I marked down the number of Italian conversations and people I spoke to. I had created myself a target and held myself accountable. I'm not an extrovert by nature, but this type of thing forces you out of your shell if you're going to hit your targets!

I'm going to be in Russia for the first time in October. One of the things I want to do, is to start using the language outside the safety net of talking with tutors or Russians who are learning English. I was thinking of setting up a series of "missions" that will involve me talking to real people in real situations to help tackle this problem (any suggestions welcome). Striking up conversations with strangers and small talk are not really my strongpoint, so having some kind of plan is essential.
3 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”