Better to study Russian w/Textbooks or Self-Study Products (Assimil, etc.)?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
issemiyaki
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N); Spanish (Fluent); French (Fluent); Russian (hoping to reach fluency his year!)

Better to study Russian w/Textbooks or Self-Study Products (Assimil, etc.)?

Postby issemiyaki » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:41 pm

I'm currently using Assimil to learn Russian, (my 3rd language).

But, I'm looking to compliment my efforts by using a more traditional Russian textbook with an iTalki tutor.

Basically, I'll purchase the teacher's manual and scan the chapter I want to work on to the iTalki tutor ahead of the time.

I have always wanted to use Assimil with a teacher, but I could never figure out how, especially since Assimil gives you all the answers.

However, I feel that some textbook might be a bit more dynamic and holistic, but you need a teacher to play along with the tasks and to tell you if you're doing it right or wrong.

This is the book I'm thinking of using: https://www.tochkaru-book.com/en/
And this was the review it received by a Russian teacher online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDdH5TCULkE

So, what do you think? Waste of time? Stick with Assimil?

Thanks
0 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Re: Better to study Russian w/Textbooks or Self-Study Products (Assimil, etc.)?

Postby Xmmm » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:40 am

removed at the request of rdearman
Last edited by Xmmm on Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
6 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:23 pm

Agree with the above. I'd spend some time wallowing in self-study world before introducing a tutor so you can guide the lessons to what you know you need. I never did Modern Russian but based on the way it's talked about, it's probably great. For fewer drills, you could also use the freely available Cortina course with audio, and if you enjoy the drills and feel that you need further work, then by all means move to the more dense MR. If you dislike drills, you'll have to find other means to improve grammar.
1 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:41 pm

Xmmm wrote:… I've said it before and I'll say it again (because it drives Speakeasy up the wall)…
La pluie de vos injures n’atteint pas le parapluie de mon indifférence ... et ... Être mis au ban de la société, c’est une récompense! :D Speakeasy is quite aware that he has both supporters and detractors, he is comfortable in his beliefs and accepts that neither group truly understands him. No offence taken, seriously! ;)

EDITED: Translations
La pluie de vos injures n’atteint pas le parapluie de mon indifférence ... et ... Être mis au ban de la société, c’est une récompense!

The rain of your insults does not reach the umbrella of my indifference … and … To be ostracized by society is a reward.
Last edited by Speakeasy on Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3 x

jack
Languages: French(beginner), Russian(beginner), Spanish (beginner)

Re: HELP! Better to study Russian w/Textbk & Teacher or Self-Study Products (Assimil, etc.)?

Postby jack » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:27 am

I used a free high school Russian course that was put on by Dallas schools in Texas in the 1990"s call "Russian World 1" and also 2 and 3. There's about 70 lessons in 1 and 2 and several in Russian World 3. It is basic but good building block taught by a Russian teacher now living in the states . You can find the textbook often on ebay or used book sites. She uses the textbook "Russian for Everybody", 6th edition 1992. by Russy Yazyk Publishers , Moscow . There was an adaptation by a Robert L Baker from Middlebury College, one of the most better private language schools in Vermont. Just google Russian World 1 and go from there. I have down loaded her lectures and now am on my record review of them. Take notes and practice the hand written letters and well as printed letters. This will help you know some background when you get on Skype with instructors and trudge thru Assimil
0 x

issemiyaki
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N); Spanish (Fluent); French (Fluent); Russian (hoping to reach fluency his year!)

Postby issemiyaki » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:55 pm

Thank you Jack for your feedback.

I'm just so stunned that people aren't contributing to this discussion.

This is a major issue. The way textbooks are layout, versus the very rote and list-like way self-study material is laid out ... just might make a difference in how one holistically assimilates the information.

Anyway, I have since spoken to a tutor who seems like he has his act together. He has already suggested to ME a textbook that he uses. It was written BY RUSSIANS, IN RUSSIA, and it's ALL IN RUSSIAN. And this iTalki teacher is in RUSSIA. So, fingers crossed. It's already a better start to the previous tutor who looked at me like I was crazy when I asked him for homework. If I'm your teacher, I want to know WHEN I'm going to see you again, and WHAT you are going to be doing until we next meet! Anyway, that's a topic for another thread.
0 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:54 pm

issemiyaki wrote:Thank you Jack for your feedback.

I'm just so stunned that people aren't contributing to this discussion.

Removed at the request of rdearman
Last edited by Xmmm on Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:20 pm

issemiyaki wrote: Thank you Jack for your feedback. I'm just so stunned that people aren't contributing to this discussion.
issemiyaki, as I noted in your “reposted” version of your questions, which is now locked, both Xmmm and David1917 replied to your initial post, above. If you cannot read their posts, then I would assume that either (a) you have flagged their Usernames as “foe”, in which case you cannot see them, or (b) you are experiencing some form of technical problem, which I would advise you should bring to the attention of the Moderators.
1 x

issemiyaki
Orange Belt

Postby issemiyaki » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:18 pm

Speakeasy, I already saw Xmmm and David 1917's comments, and I thanked them for it.

But, I usually get 15, 20 people helping me collaborate on issues, not just 2 people.

And, some of my go-to people haven't even commented, EMR, and others.

So, I'm still on hold until I hear from them, hopefully sooner than later.
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:50 pm

Issemyaki, I do not think that you should take the lower-than-anticipated level of response as a callous of lack of concern for your predicament. There are numerous posts to this forum which draw zero participation from the other members, including many of my own, welcome to club! I assume that members respond to other members’ posts according to a variety of factors: the level of interest they have for the subject under discussion, whether or not they have seen and participated in (repeatedly) similar discussions in the past and whether or not they have become weary of the topic, personal feelings towards the OP, finding time for the multitudinous demands that their real lives make on them, and many more. If you have received a higher level of response to other posts, it is possible that the members simply found them more interesting.
5 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”