French: Grammar Glue Words [Language hacking]

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Re: French: Grammar Glue Words [Language hacking]

Postby SGP » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:18 pm

Cainntear wrote:
SGP wrote:
Cavesa wrote:I still can't see what is the connection with language hacking, perhaps I am just too tired. And to get just the most common ones, you can google them by cefr level or look in any beginner/intermediate grammar book.

If you wanted to do so, you could decide to re-read both of my first post and my reply to your previous post afterwards. Sometimes things really become more clear after one already has slept. ;)

It wouldn't make much of a difference, because in neither of those posts do you ever define what you mean by "language hacking".

It is true that I didn't define it there in the way of "language hacking means ... to me". But I did define this thread's query, leading to the same result. ;)

To me, "language hacking" is a trademark owned by a person I really don't like much, whose advice to language learners is vague, empty and useless, and a series of language learning books by said person which are full of errors and plain old bad teaching.

And as for me, while not knowing his books, I have a "middle course" point of view related to his way of teaching. There is at least one thing I nevertheless learned from him (not by meeting him in person of course). And this is that sometimes the use of Tarzan speech, like using the infinitive forms of verbs, is a workaround that can help. (Not doing it for the likes of French, but if I needed to speak some of my beginner level languages, I possibly would do it that way when needed).

Other than that... I used the term "language hacking" because this thread is about a certain type of shortcut, explained in the first post. ;)

I know the term evolved out of the idea of "life hacks", which sometimes are sometimes useful, sometimes silly, and sometimes just how the damn thing was designed to work in the first place. For example, I once saw a "life hack" video that promised to teach me a way to tie my shoelaces so they would never fall off. The guy literally proceeded to tell me what my mother and my primary 1 teacher taught me when I was a child, and he genuinely believed he was telling me something new.

Now that is plainly weird... it also happened to me that I read about some of the (So-Called) Genuinely Super Mega Nifty Life Hacks... only to discover that it was fully 101 (= basic). Reminds me of ... you know what? That entirely nonsensical How To Tear A Piece Of Paper tutorial... :lol:

What you're talking about isn't something new or special, it's what literally thousands of teachers and millions of learners have been doing for a long, long time.

Yes it isn't something new.

The only thing that makes it different is that you are asking for what comes quickest to us as individual learners, but I don't think that's a particularly helpful approach. What makes us in particular especially useful? Does it matter whether we use them appropriately? (Certainly, if there's anything we overuse, that's going to jump to mind first.)

Well, the query wasn't about asking others for usage examples, but only for those words. Other than that, the query is meant to be something like a collective brainstorming.

If you want to know which words come to mind quickest for a large number of people, the place to start is a frequency list. There is a direct relationship between the frequency of use of a word and the speed of recall -- the more we use or are exposed to a word, the better we know it and the easier and quicker it becomes to recall; the better we know a word and the easier and quicker it is to recall, the more likely we are to use it. That's self-sustaining.

As for frequency lists, well I do know about their existence (as I said either in this or the Spanish thread)... but what I am striving for still is something that is even more real-world-ish. Because at least some of them are based on subtitles, others on certain web content, and so on. This differs from the purpose I intended by opening this thread.

SGP wrote:As for me, I doubt that those two methods would yield the very same results:
- Citing a full list of those words from a grammar textbook, for example
- Asking the French learners about those of those words that they can remember very easily and without additional thinking

No, because a good textbook would yield better results than asking random French learners what they've learned, because the book would be written by someone who has dedicated a not-inconsiderable amount of time to finding out what is most immediately useful.

I do confirm that those textbooks usually are written by someone more experienced.
At the same time, those I looked at (and they weren't just one or two) are too academical for the purposes of, for example, myself, even those that are written to be a practical course for daily life conversations. This is about the traditional medieval time (literally) approach of learning grammar, many/most publishing houses still stick to it, using some minor modifications at most... And it is also about something else, including, but not limited too, teaching a multitude of words simply because "everybody teaches them". As for me, I am more of a subset loving person. ;)
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:05 pm

Thank you, Cainntear, you have worded my points much better than I could have and added a lot more to it.

I simply don't understand why so many people all over the internet and real life alike hate list memorisation and then just ask for such lists and call it "language hacking". They refuse to learn grammar from any reliable source, but they learn it from random posts by other learners, and that is suddenly more palatable, as it is "language hacking" now. They avoid coursebooks and frequency dictionaries based on tons of native sources, but instead trust chaotic websites, low level apps, and other learners which all drew from the coursebooks and dictionaries in the first place, and it is "language hacking".

I think the term "language hacking" is just what Cainntear describes. And on top of that, I think its effect on the language learning community has shifted a lot. It could be perhaps summed up as an approach of avoiding anything that is perceived boring, going just for the fastest speaking skill no matter how neanderthalish, and the belief that being an extrovert overcomes every obstacle and anyone not extrovert enough needs to change their personality and their problems will disappear.

At first, language hacking and similar attitude brought something new. The rather passive teaching was the majority and the internet with all the resources and opportunities was new. But it is no longer so. And the "language hacking attitude" has grown out of the borders of usefulness. It creates a very stupid stigma on coursebooks, grammarbooks, or any learner who does not fit the ideal image of an excited extrovert just going out into the wilderness and speak fluent neanderthalish. And it is a problem. From one extreme of a fear to speak and make a mistake, the community has moved to the other extreme of not caring about mistakes at all without any regards for the people they are talking to, which I find arrogant, disrespectful, and damaging to anyone wishing to get to a high level eventually.

And to my point of the whole list of connecteurs appearing here in just a few posts: that was definitely a realistic idea. Three or four advanced learners + a native or two would think of them all, so no "usefulness selection" would happen with this method.
5 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:24 am

I think OP is just after interaction. They have made a lot of posts that indirectly encourage or directly request interaction.
3 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:55 am

Here’s some interaction (copied from notes which are directly copied from : FLE : Production écrite - Niveaux C1/C2 par Mariella Causa and/or (i can’t recall which book I got this all from (or whether it was both):Didier : Réussir le Dalf : Niveaux C1 et C2 par Didier

EXAMEN C1 (l’écrit) :
---------------
Tableau récapitulatif des connecteurs qui structure l’écrit (16) :
---------------

1 Ajouter une idée pour renforcer la précédente (7) :
1 Par ailleurs, ...
2 En outre, ...
3 De plus, ...
4 D’une part, ... d’autre part, ...
5 En effet, ...
6 D’ailleurs, ...
7 Du reste, ...

2 Atténuer l’idée qui précède (la rendre moins forte) (1) :
1 Du moins, ...

3 Attirer l’attention sur un événement en citant ou en illustrant (6) :
1 Notamment...
2 En particulier...
3 Quant à...
4 À propos de...
5 Au sujet de...
6 Pour ce qui concerne...

4 Concéder (accepter une idée d’autrui, une situation) (2) :
1 Certes... mais...
2 En effet, ...

5 Annoncer, affirmer, mettre l’emphase sur un événement particulier (faire ressortir un événement, une situation) (2) :
1 En fait, ...
2 En réalité, ...

6 Émettre des réserves ou apporter une explication contraire ou opposée à la précédente (3) :
1 Toutefois, ...
2 Cependant, ...
3 Néanmoins, ...

7 Exclure (ne pas prendre en considération une situation particulière (5) :
1 Excepté...
2 À l’exception de...
3 Sauf...
4 Mis à part...
5 Hormis...

8 Expliquer les conséquences d’une action, d’une situation ou d’un événement (7) :
1 De ce fait, ...
2 C’est pourquoi, ...
3 Par conséquent, ...
4 En conséquence, ...
5 Pour toutes ces raisons, ...
6 Aussi (+ inversion verbe / sujet), ...
7 Ainsi, ...

9 Opposer une idée à une autre (5) :
1 Or, ...
2 Contrairement à...
3 En revanche, ...
4-5 Au contraire/Bien au contraire, ...

10 Présenter chronologiquement les faits afin de les rendre indépendants les uns des autres et de les hiérarchiser (5) :
1-2 Avant tout/Tout d’abord, ...
3 Ensuite, ...
4 De plus, ...
5 Enfin, ...

11 Présenter dans la même phrase plusieurs idées, opinions, avis ou une alternative (2) :
1 D’une part..., d’autre part...
2 Soit... soit...

12 Illustrer (2) :
1 Ainsi, ...
2 Par exemple, ...

13 Se référer à un événement ou aux paroles d’une tierce personne (3) :
1 Conformément à ...
2 Selon ...
3 Suivant ...

14 Résumer des faits, des idées, une décision (3) :
1 En bref, ...
2 Finalement, ...
3 En définitive, ...

15 Récapituler (3) :
1 De toute façon, ...
2 Quoiqu’il en soit, ...
3 Bref, ...

16 Conclure (2) :
1 Donc, ...
2 Enfin, ...

EXAMEN C1 (le discours)
---------------
Tableau récapitulatif des connecteurs qui structure le discours (10) (taken from :
---------------

1 Pour introduire un premier argument, une première idée (7) :
1 avant tout
2 d’abord
3 dans un premier temps
4 en premier lieu,
6 initialement
5 premièrement
6 tout d’abord

2 Pour introduire une série ou une suite d’éléments (7) :
1 après
2 deuxièmement
3 troisièmement
4 ensuite
5 mais aussi
6 puis
7 dans un deuxième temps

3 Pour introduire un élément final (5) :
1 en définitive
2 enfin
3 finalement
4 somme toute
5 bref

4 Pour introduire un argument contraire /
Pour exprimer une opposition (17) :
1 cependant
2 il n’empêche que
3 mais
4 néanmoins
5 pourtant
6 toutefois
7 au contraire
8 à l’opposé
9 à l’inverse
10 alors que
11 tandis que
12 mais
13 or
14 d’autre part
15 d’un autre point de vue
16 en revanche
17 par ailleurs

5 Pour exprimer une concession (3) :
1 certes
2 certes... mais
3 il est vrai que

6 Pour ajouter ou renforcer une idée (7-8) :
1 d’autant plus que
2 de plus
3 en plus
4 également
5 en outre
6 non seulement
7-8 mais encore / mais en plus

7 Pour introduire une explication, une justification (8) :
1 assurément
2 car
3 effecitivement
4 en effet
5 dans la mesure où
6 étant donné que
7 parce que
8 puisque

8 Pour marquer une conséquence un enchaînement (13) :
1 ainsi
2 alors
3 aussi
4 donc
5 c’est pourquoi
6 de ce fait
7 de la sorte
8 d’où
9 si bien que
10 de telle sorte que
11 en conséquence
12 en conséquent
13 par conséquent

9 Pour introduire une reformulation (2) :
1 c’est à dire
2 autrement dit

10 Pour résumer (2) :
1 en un mot
2 bref
2 x

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:24 am

Now I am surprised.
PeterMollenburg, merci beaucoup à ... toi for this big list of Entirely Fancy Grammar Glue Words. ;)

And I am not even adding them to my first post. Because now, it seems that there isn't much (if any) left for this thread's purpose.

Once again, there was some surprise at my side. Maybe the "secret" was partially related to using a French book which also has been written by native speakers, as opposed to one of the many textbooks which are written by non-natives who studied French at the university.

When I was reading this list, I recognized many of those words that I already have met several times, and I knew without too much additional thinking that they really are High Freq and Real World Conversational.
0 x

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:26 am

And as for your post, Cavesa, there are several or even many aspects where I do agree to what you wrote.
As for some others, I could say something more about them, but I decided not too ;) .
All the best.
0 x

Log

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:07 pm

SGP wrote:Once again, there was some surprise at my side. Maybe the "secret" was partially related to using a French book which also has been written by native speakers, as opposed to one of the many textbooks which are written by non-natives who studied French at the university.

...I believe one of the two possible sources was written by an Italian. Might be wrong.

Anyway, the main thing is that (as I said) there are good books and there are bad books -- I imagine there's more bad than good out there, but it's a mistake to think that all books are bad and that anything that avoids experts is better than something written by experts.
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”