Proposal: Starting a Modern Greek Study Group!

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
zjones
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1-certified), Spanish and Greek (abandoned)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9860

Proposal: Starting a Modern Greek Study Group!

Postby zjones » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:02 pm

Hi! I really don't know where to ask this -- and I didn't want to clutter anyone's log -- so hopefully I can ask it here.

I've noticed there are a few forum members learning Modern Greek and I'd like to see a study group started. It would be fun to share resources and advice in one tidy place, because it's fairly difficult to search for Modern Greek resources or logs on the site (sorting through all the stuff that pertains to the various kinds of Ancient Greek can be a pain). I'm not sure if there are any requirements to set up a study group, or if someone in particular needs to run it.

How would I go about getting one started or having someone set it up?
Last edited by zjones on Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: How to set up a Modern Greek study group?

Postby iguanamon » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:18 pm

I started the Spanish Group and Haitian Creole Group here. Have a look at the first page of study groups for some ideas. Basically, it's a gathering place for members to share tips, links and resources for learning a language.

The forum is a great place for learners to come and learn from others. It can be difficult to follow everyone's logs. One of the things I ask Spanish Group members to do is to share their tips, links and resources that they may write about in their logs and not everyone sees. In the study group, all of this information can theoretically be kept in one place. Of course, it doesn't always happen, but enough gets shared that it is useful for current members as well as future members.

You have already taken the first step. You can either start a new thread, something along the lines of "Modern Greek Study Group Proposal" or edit the title of this thread to gauge interest. Whoever starts the group should be intending to remain in the forum for the long term in order to update the resource links post, but the groups pretty much run themselves. It helps other learners to pool and share their knowledge. I think there certainly is enough interest on the forum for a Modern Greek Study Group, good idea!
1 x

zjones
Green Belt

Re: How to set up a Modern Greek study group?

Postby zjones » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:58 pm

iguanamon wrote:You have already taken the first step. You can either start a new thread, something along the lines of "Modern Greek Study Group Proposal" or edit the title of this thread to gauge interest. Whoever starts the group should be intending to remain in the forum for the long term in order to update the resource links post, but the groups pretty much run themselves. It helps other learners to pool and share their knowledge. I think there certainly is enough interest on the forum for a Modern Greek Study Group, good idea!

Thank you for your nice reply, iguanamon! I'm very interested in having a Modern Greek Study Group on the forum, so I'll edit the title of this post to gauge the interest (no need to clutter the forum with another post).

For those who are interested in a Modern Greek Study Group, please post below stating your interest. If you think you'd be interested in starting the group, let me know, and be sure to read the quoted post above. I don't foresee any potential issues if I were to start the study group (I have a lot of free time and I plan on staying on the forum long-term), but it's likely there's someone more qualified than me. :D
2 x

rfnsoares
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: Portuguese
B2/C1: English, French, Italian, Spanish and Russian
A2/B1: Romanian, German
A2: Polish, Greek, Hungarian
Dabbling: Croatian, Czech, Swedish, Norwegian, Lithuanian, Finnish, Turkish, Hebrew...

Re: Proposal: Starting a Modern Greek Study Group!

Postby rfnsoares » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:42 pm

I'm in! I'm very interested in Greek.
I've been (seriously) studying Greek for about three months now, after dabbling in it for many years.
I've completed Colloquial Modern Greek and Assimil (lessons 1-50 only) courses and now I've been trying to increase my (stilll poor) vocabulary reading newspapers (mainly kathimerini.gr) and Wikipedia articles and saving the new words on a Excel spreadsheet for reviewing later.
I believe the Greek language sounds very beautiful. The grammar poses some challenges that deserve to be discussed. But, in my opinion, the hardest thing in learning Greek is the vocabulary. It's just too hard!
Well, as I said, I'm in, although Greek is not my priority at the very moment. That will be English and Russian.
Thank you for starting this group!
1 x
100 Russian novels : 33 / 100

zjones
Green Belt

Postby zjones » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:12 pm

rfnsoares wrote:I'm in! I'm very interested in Greek.
I've been (seriously) studying Greek for about three months now, after dabbling in it for many years.
I've completed Colloquial Modern Greek and Assimil (lessons 1-50 only) courses and now I've been trying to increase my (stilll poor) vocabulary reading newspapers (mainly kathimerini.gr) and Wikipedia articles and saving the new words on a Excel spreadsheet for reviewing later.
I believe the Greek language sounds very beautiful. The grammar poses some challenges that deserve to be discussed. But, in my opinion, the hardest thing in learning Greek is the vocabulary. It's just too hard!
Well, as I said, I'm in, although Greek is not my priority at the very moment. That will be English and Russian.
Thank you for starting this group!

Awesome! I'm glad you are interested. The actual study group will be created in the "Study Groups" section of the forum, once enough interest has been expressed. I'll be sure to post a link when it is set up.
1 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:02 am

Thanks! I was thinking of starting one but I never got around to it.

What I'd find useful:
- Resource recommendations for beginners. It would be good to have an answer to "where do I start with Greek?".
- Upper beginner / intermediate resources: podcasts and Youtube material (aimed at learners, or easier native ones), courses, etc.
- Discussion of films, series, books, etc.

The second two are very much "aspirational" for now as I'm still firmly at the beginner stage, but it would be nice to know what the next steps might be. As for most languages, there's a lot of material out there but it can be hard to separate out the quality stuff.

I can contribute: my experience with the resources I've used so far - Michel Thomas, Language Transfer, GreekPod101.
1 x

Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; ita & fra B2+, ell & deu B2-, ísl B1 (spa & swe A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Postby Neurotip » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:35 pm

zjones wrote:I've noticed there are a few forum members learning Modern Greek and I'd like to see a study group started.

Definitely up for that. I haven't started learning Greek yet but have concrete plans to do so from January 2019. Very happy to share experiences and links.
1 x
Corrections welcome here

zjones
Green Belt

Postby zjones » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:10 am

rfnsoares wrote:I'm in! I'm very interested in Greek.

garyb wrote:Thanks! I was thinking of starting one but I never got around to it.

Neurotip wrote:Definitely up for that. I haven't started learning Greek yet but have concrete plans to do so from January 2019. Very happy to share experiences and links.

I finally created the Modern Greek Study Group. I'm excited to get this started! Please join and introduce yourself! :D
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”