katakana deck anki

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

katakana deck anki

Postby Ccaesar » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:43 am

Hello everyone I've been searching the net for a deck containing these (since there's no reason to re-invent the wheel), however all of the ones I've found tend to put a hiragana on the back side (which I find counter productive and may lead to me mixing the two and mistaking them.
Do any of you know of a deck where the letters of the katakana is in romanji?-- seems more constructive to me :) stroke order isn't needed since I won't be writing by hand (I tried, my handwriting is not made for writing hiragana and katakana hahahah :D)
0 x
Hiragana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Katakana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Kanji : 50 / 2000
Assimil Japanese with Ease : 27 / 100

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: katakana deck anki

Postby rdearman » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:51 pm

I know zero about Japanese but couldn't you just download the deck you want, export to CSV, remove the column you don't want and then import it again?
0 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:18 pm

There are free web-based katakana-romaji convertors. They also convert other Japanese things.
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:24 pm

If you aren't absolutely married to Anki, I would recommend https://realkana.com/. It's a website where you can choose the set(s) of hiragana and/or katakana syllables that you want to study (based on consonant, so each set contains up to 5 syllables). You are given symbols from the set(s) you chose, and you type corresponding rōmaji.

They also have an app for iThingy, but I haven't tried it. If you want to use it on an Android product you would need to use your browser.
0 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Postby Ccaesar » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:40 pm

Thank you for your answers everyone!
Sorry for not replying sooner for some reason I wasn't notified of your replies :S
0 x

rstfk
Languages: Native: English
Learning: Japanese

Postby rstfk » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:29 pm

I second Deinonysus's recommendation. For me it only took about a week of practicing with that website 20-30 minutes each day to feel reasonably comfortable with the kana. And you'll get plenty of practice by reading Japanese text.
1 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:36 pm

Ccaesar wrote: however all of the ones I've found tend to put a hiragana on the back side (which I find counter productive and may lead to me mixing the two and mistaking them.

I think you'll find Japanese writing mixes the two quite a lot :shock: so you might as well get used to it now ...

If you find yourself confusing one kana for another it just means you need to work harder on some of them.
0 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:39 pm

dampingwire wrote:I think you'll find Japanese writing mixes the two quite a lot :shock: so you might as well get used to it now ...

If you find yourself confusing one kana for another it just means you need to work harder on some of them.

While I agree that being comfortable with themselves mixed together is an important end goal, I also think it's reasonable for a rank beginner to learn each set separately, so they aren't shaky on which is which.

When I learned them, I printed out handwriting charts hiragana, practiced them ad nauseum, then made flashcards from what I'd learned, then did the same for katakana.

After all that, yeah, start mixing up your studies with some real world stuff!
1 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:40 am

What I meant was on one side there'd be the hiragana "a" and on the other the katakana "a" and good idea indeed, I've printed out the table of the basic 46 katakana and put it infront of me, I intend to add phrases from my assimil to anki (including kanji- which I found out can be quite tricky yesterday just the word "time" mamma mia was that a lot of kanji!)

I ended up spending more time making my anki cards plesant to the eye (changed the background colour to a nice deep green, made the font bigger (which makes reading the Japanese characters a lot easier) :)
arthaey wrote:
dampingwire wrote:I think you'll find Japanese writing mixes the two quite a lot :shock: so you might as well get used to it now ...

While I agree that being comfortable with themselves mixed together is an important end goal, I also think it's reasonable for a rank beginner to learn each set separately, so they aren't shaky on which is which.

When I learned them, I printed out handwriting charts hiragana, practiced them ad nauseum, then made flashcards from what I'd learned, then did the same for katakana.

After all that, yeah, start mixing up your studies with some real world stuff!
0 x

jonathanrace
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (A2), Mandarin (A1)

Postby jonathanrace » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:02 am

I think some kind of "kana tester" that others have mentioned here would be far more useful than an anki deck. I love anki and I use it for so much but when I started out I just kept practicing writing them out from memory and used a few websites for testing. It comes on in a few weeks to a month so I wouldn't be too concerned about a deck (that being said I know there are some who have found a deck to be useful).
0 x
Level up your English!

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”