When do you add another language?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: When do you add another language?

Postby Serpent » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:09 pm

aabram wrote:PS. Will we have offtopic/rant/random musings forum?

The consensus seems to be that ramblings should be restricted to the non-English threads :P

My article mentioned that learning multiple languages is a lifestyle choice (comparable to veganism or gothic subculture :lol: ), whereas one at a time can be treated as a hobby, much like knitting, painting or whatever. You can take a break when you're busy etc. Well, of course you can also take a break from all your languages, but you'll lose more.
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Rum
Languages: French (B2), English (B1), Mandarin (B2), Japanese (A1)

Postby Rum » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:16 am

I'm trying to do 4 languages at the time...I would rather be focused on my English but there's not much choice due to time restraint. I used to speak English like a native back in the days(Kindergarten days) but lost my English accent to French one due to environmental changes. That was really scary and now I'm learning English back from ground zero without remembering a single thing. Thanks to Memrise and working through summer workbooks, it didn't take more than apriority . and take through the intermediate level. In the meantime, I took 2 more languages due to family pressure.

In that saying, it's not hard and SRS was an extremely important contribution. But without it I wouldn't be able to maintain the other 2 languages which aren't set as my top priority.

2 languages at a time is the sweet spot, there are others that could be added but count them more as being stalemated.
0 x

pir
Orange Belt
Languages: Groks fluently: English, German
Dutch (C2~)
Swedish (B2~ on hold)
Romanian (B1~ on hold)
Swahili, Wolof, Esperanto, Russian (A1 on hold)
Studies: French (B1~), Japanese (A1), Spanish (A0)
~ means ++passive than active knowledge.

Corrections: YES!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1132

Postby pir » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:05 pm

It never occurred to me that there might be a problem with learning more than one language at a time before hearing Americans express surprise and disbelief -- I learned English, French, and Russian while in high school, and that wasn't an issue. Now, I did not pursue them all afterwards, but that had more to do with life happening while I made other plans. Later on I learned Swahili and Wolof (they're not similar) at the same time (because I was working as a programmer for the African Studies Department of a university), and got both of them to A1 without problems -- I had access to native speakers, and we were developing computer-based language lessons 25+ years ago -- eat your heart out, Duolingo. I am a disciplined self-studier; I study much better now than I did in high school; I'm more efficient, more knowledgeable, more motivated.

I am currently studying French, japanese, and Spanish at the same time. I know this will slow me down in each of them, but I actually have sufficient free time, and maybe not sufficient lifespan left, and I rather learn about more cultures now than maybe never. So I am actually planning to add two more romance languages as an experiment.

French I restarted as a false beginner (learned it in high school, wanted to love it, hated the teacher); I have a considerable passive vocabulary (I can read newspapers), but my listening and production are very, very sad (A1). I've also just started to learn to read/write in Japanese, which is unusual in that I learned my first words of the language from listening, and where I understand just enough of your average high school anime to keep up. And I added Spanish a month ago, on a whim -- I started to get interested in Costa Rica, and sometimes that's all it takes for me (these days I no longer head to foreign countries for a visit and then just stay). I was wondering whether I'd get in trouble because I am learning two Romance languages, but no, no problem. I'm getting good cross-fertilization, but no confusion. So I thought, hey, why not milk the Romance cow for all it is worth?

But when I tried to add Portuguese a few days after Spanish, that did not work well at all. So now I'm thinking I'll wait until I have maybe 500 words or so under my belt in Spanish and then try again. If I am not learning the same vocabulary at the same time, it will hopefully go as well as it's going with Spanish and French. And then maybe Italian. It's an experiment; I don't feel I have to do any of this, and if it doesn't work, oh well, I'll drop it.

Adding German to Serbian should be no problem confusion-wise. The bigger question is how much time can you make for it, and whether will it take away from your Serbian studies (and if so, do you care).
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”