What's the reasoning behind the metaphorical expression "as still as salt"?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Jamee Zhao
White Belt
Languages: Chinese(N), English(beginner)

What's the reasoning behind the metaphorical expression "as still as salt"?

Postby Jamee Zhao » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:46 am

I encountered the expression "as still as salt" in the novel Peter Panby J. M. Barrie. I vaguely understand it means the environment is very quiet at the moment, somehow I couldn't figure out the reasoning behind this metaphor. What is the connection between "salt" and "still"?I would very much appreciate your help.
Last edited by Jamee Zhao on Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Re: What's the reasoning behind the metaphorical expression "as still as salt"?

Postby Jaleel10 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:33 am

Hi, Jamee!

First I must stress that this is NOT a common expression. I've never heard nor used it in my life.

As for the reasoning behind it it. Nothing obvious comes to mind but it might have something to do with Lot's wife, a biblical person from the Book of Genesis, who became a pillar of salt after she looked back at Sodom. If she is a pillar of salt, well then I guess she can't move or speak haha ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Other than that, I have no clue :lol:
4 x

Jamee Zhao
White Belt

Postby Jamee Zhao » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:52 am

Jaleel10 wrote:Hi, Jamee!

First I must stress that this is NOT a common expression. I've never heard nor used it in my life.

As for the reasoning behind it it. Nothing obvious comes to mind but it might have something to do with Lot's wife, a biblical person from the Book of Genesis, who became a pillar of salt after she looked back at Sodom. If she is a pillar of salt, well then I guess she can't move or speak haha ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Other than that, I have no clue :lol:

It is very helpful to me. Thank you :P
1 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:43 am

Jamee, as for yourself and Jaleel10, I have never before encountered the expression “as still as salt”; nevertheless, as salt is an inanimate substance, I fully agree that its presence in the phrase “as still as …” evokes calmness, tranquillity, quietness, lifelessness and the like.

J.M. Barrie may have learned this otherwise remote expression in his youth in Scotland or, as an very imaginative writer, he could have just as easily devised it himself. He was known to play with the language as in “’Curiouser and curiouser’ cried Alice.”

Most languages are pervaded by thousands of popular metaphors, aphorisms, colloquiums, and idiomatic expressions the meanings of which, for a native-speaker, are often immediately clear upon first encounter. The authors of these flavourful particles are rarely credited.

As an aside, your ability to grasp the works of J.M. Barrie suggests to me far too much modesty in your self-evaluation as a “beginner” in English.

EDITED:
Typos!
Tinkering.
1 x

patrickwilken
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2+), Spanish (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8886

Postby patrickwilken » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:18 am

Sounds like someone else had the same question a few years ago on another forum. People were equally stumped.

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/thre ... ll-as-salt
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:28 am

Patrick, very nice catch, indeed!
0 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:59 am

Speakeasy wrote:J.M. Barrie may have learned this otherwise remote expression in his youth in Scotland or, as an very imaginative writer, he could have just as easily devised it himself. He was known to play with the language as in “’Curiouser and curiouser’ cried Alice.”
Quick correction: Alice was Lewis Carroll, an Englishman, not J. M. Barrie.
2 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:08 pm

Deinonysus wrote: Quick correction ...
How embarrassinger and embarrassinger!
2 x

drmweaver2
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (A1/A2), German (A1/A2)
Spanish(HS/college, maybe A2- now extinct), Japanese(lvl-0, even that's long forgotten), Thai (absolute beginner...not even A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8997

Postby drmweaver2 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:44 pm

It appears Barrie used the same phrase in both Peter Pan and The Minister.
From what I can find, it appears to be a reference dating back to at least the 1600s in Scotland.

"Your Antinomians, Familists, Socinians, Antiscripturists, the Gideons, and Saviours of the land of whom the maids in their dance sing, they have slain their thousands, and their ten thousands, when both Kingdoms were in the post way toward Babylon were as men buried, and in the congregation of the dead, and as still as salt, we heard nothing then, not one sound, nor the least still whisper of the wars of the Lamb, of a two edged sword in the hands of the Saints."
A brotherly and free Epistle to the patrons and friends of pretended Liberty of Conscience.
By SAMUEL RUTHERFURD Professor of Divinity in the University of St. Andrews in Scotland
https://www.truecovenanter.com/anti_toleration/rutherfurd_epistle_against_pretendedlibertyofconscience.html (Footnotes all reference things between 1640 and 1646)

Mr. Rutherford was apparently a member of the Covenanted Reformed Presbyterian Church
"..the Covenanter Church is not a new organization, nor a distinct independent religious body. It is a part of the proper ‘Holy Catholic Church’ adhering to the Protestant Reformation. And it is a part of the Reformed Church adhering to the Covenants which formerly united Scottish Presbyterians and other Reformed Christians in the 1600s." https://www.truecovenanter.com/editor/about_the_covenanter_church.html

Edited to add: first sentence
2 x
I'm going to read Lord of the Rings in Russian - Me (some time ago)
Never say something is impossible. Everytime, there is a moron who doesn't know it's impossible, so he goes and does it.-Cavesa -Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:45 pm

Jamee Zhao
White Belt

Postby Jamee Zhao » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:25 am

drmweaver2 wrote:It appears Barrie used the same phrase in both Peter Pan and The Minister.
From what I can find, it appears to be a reference dating back to at least the 1600s in Scotland.

"Your Antinomians, Familists, Socinians, Antiscripturists, the Gideons, and Saviours of the land of whom the maids in their dance sing, they have slain their thousands, and their ten thousands, when both Kingdoms were in the post way toward Babylon were as men buried, and in the congregation of the dead, and as still as salt, we heard nothing then, not one sound, nor the least still whisper of the wars of the Lamb, of a two edged sword in the hands of the Saints."
A brotherly and free Epistle to the patrons and friends of pretended Liberty of Conscience.
By SAMUEL RUTHERFURD Professor of Divinity in the University of St. Andrews in Scotland
https://www.truecovenanter.com/anti_toleration/rutherfurd_epistle_against_pretendedlibertyofconscience.html (Footnotes all reference things between 1640 and 1646)

Mr. Rutherford was apparently a member of the Covenanted Reformed Presbyterian Church
"..the Covenanter Church is not a new organization, nor a distinct independent religious body. It is a part of the proper ‘Holy Catholic Church’ adhering to the Protestant Reformation. And it is a part of the Reformed Church adhering to the Covenants which formerly united Scottish Presbyterians and other Reformed Christians in the 1600s." https://www.truecovenanter.com/editor/about_the_covenanter_church.html

Edited to add: first sentence

Thank you for providing such a solid reference. Frankly speaking, the passage above is too hard for me to follow, for I know little about the Presbyterian Church and history of Scotland, but at least it does prove the expression has a religious origin.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”