Watching subtitles only (with/without audio)

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Watching subtitles only (with/without audio)

Postby Kraut » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:46 pm

I can receive English programmes here in Germany from the Astra 28 satellite. I have noticed that the subtitles of some Sky Pay TV channels are visible although the video and sound are scrambled. I also find that when picture, audio and subs are available together they don't allow full concentration on one element.

With VLC player the picture (and sound) can be removed and the size/colour of the text adapted to your needs.

This might be a way of tackling concentration/memorization/consolidation with an additional approach.
VLC player also allows A-B repeat of passages.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Re: Watching subtitles only (with/without audio)

Postby golyplot » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:29 pm

If you're just going to be reading anyway, I'd rather read articles or books.
1 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:34 pm

The idea is if the subtitles are stripped of visual (and audio) context - you must have seen the complete video before - concentration and memorization might be more intense. The more different channels you use for practice the better.
It's worth a thought, but I don't know.
0 x

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Postby Axon » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:16 am

Watching same-language subtitles for a video on mute has been a slight help in improving my reading of Chinese and Russian. I learned to understand these two languages much faster than I learned to read them, so sometimes if I'm watching a subtitled video I just skim the subtitles and let my listening take the brunt of the work. With the sound off it suddenly becomes an exercise in speed-reading. I think it's better to try increasing reading speed with oral language like subtitles instead of book language because you'll get a lot more repetition.

I've never integrated this into any kind of study routine and I wouldn't really suggest it as a regular activity, but it could be a fun little test to switch things up.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”