[English] Is omitting pronouns seen as tacky or confusing in writing (or speech)?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
devilyoudont
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), EO (C), JA (B), ES (A)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16424

Re: [English] Is omitting pronouns seen as tacky or confusing in writing (or speech)?

Postby devilyoudont » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:59 pm

I hardly ever drop pronouns--feels kind of rude to me. But it isn't incorrect to do so.
4 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Re: [English] Is omitting pronouns seen as tacky or confusing in writing (or speech)?

Postby Adrianslont » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:28 pm

Morgana wrote:I drop first person singular all the time when writing informally, but not as often in speaking.

Do other people drop any other pronouns? It doesn’t seem like anyone has emphasized it’s only first person singular that gets dropped, or maybe it’s assumed everyone knows that. (Though maybe other people do drop other pronouns, so I am genuinely asking.)

I guess you must be writing formally here! :D.

About your question, “do other people drop any other pronouns?” - second person gets dropped a lot in questions in the world of advertising eg. “Looking for the best bank loan? Come and talk to us at ...”
2 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:24 am

rpg wrote:Agree with everyone else's comments re: tone/perception.

I see what you did they. Not gonna let it slide! ;)
1 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:22 am

Thanks for everyone's responses! I really enjoyed reading through each of them.
1 x

Daniel N.
Green Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), English (C1), German (beginner)

Postby Daniel N. » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:42 am

I hear it in pop/rock/rap songs all the time. But I got an impression that we can be also left out.

The first entry in Helen Fielding’s novel Bridget Jones’s Diary includes the lament: “Cannot quite believe I am once again starting the year in a single bed in my parents’ house.”

Why Do We Delete the Initial Pronoun From Our Sentences? Glad You Asked.

Maybe English is slowly going Non-French-Romance/Western&South Slavic. Welcome :D
4 x
Check Easy Croatian (very useful for Bosnian, Montenegrin and Serbian as well)

Daniel N.
Green Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), English (C1), German (beginner)

Postby Daniel N. » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:20 am

It's interesting how languages are moving in both directions. We know the ultimate parent language of English, Spanish, Russian, Greek etc. (Proto-Indo-European) didn't have mandatory subject pronouns.

Common Slavic didn't have it either, and Old Russian (as far as I know) didn't. But today's Russian is moving (esp. in speech) into more and more subject pronouns used, even though it's obvious from verb endings who the subject is. All Western and South Slavic languages omit subject pronouns unless really needed (there are complex rules).

Latin didn't have mandatory subject pronouns: Spanish and Italian don't have them today. But French moved in the mandatory direction. Portuguese uses a lot of them in speech.

All Germanic languages have mandatory subject pronouns, but English is moving in the free direction as we speak.

Finnish didn't have mandatory subject pronouns, but today spoken Finnish has (almost?) mandatory subject pronouns.

In this map you can see mandatory subject pronouns (red dots) are actually a North European and Western African areal feature, almost unknown in other parts of the world:

WALS map: Feature 101A: Expression of Pronominal Subjects

The blue dots (endings on the verb) is the most common way in almost all parts of the world.
3 x
Check Easy Croatian (very useful for Bosnian, Montenegrin and Serbian as well)

MrsStarez
Yellow Belt
Languages: I can read and write French, but my spoken capabilities are limited. I'm looking to develop further, especially in a business sense, as I'm getting increasingly asked if I would be able to use French at work.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=8933

Postby MrsStarez » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:24 pm

I’m a native English speaker, and I do have a tendency to do this sometimes in emails or WhatsApp-ing with friends. It’s not something I’m particularly proud of - it’s just a bad habit that has crept in and that I’m trying to stop.

In my opinion, it’s not great practice, and definitely not something for more formal communications.
1 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:20 pm

As a native speaker (USA), I would strongly recommend not doing things like the example in the OP. It is common to drop a pronoun or two when writing informally, but a whole paragraph like that just sounds weird regardless of the context. And even dropping pronouns at all is more like something you would do when texting your friend than emailing someone you don't know, with the exception of the common situations already noted in the thread where pronouns are dropped.

So yes, I would describe the initial example as tacky.
4 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:28 pm

golyplot wrote:So yes, I would describe the initial example as tacky.

Completely agree. :-)
2 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

Soclydeza
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Actively Studying:
German (B2)
Italian (False beginner)
Norwegian (Beginner)

Dormant:
French (Lower intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9066

Postby Soclydeza » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:05 am

Depends on the context, that original example is maybe how I might text a friend in a short message or something, but if I encountered that in a more business/professional environment I would think person isn't taking whatever he/she's writing about seriously, it wouldnt look good.

As for confusing, your example worked out well because you ("I") were the subject throughout the whole thing, but if you were telling a story like that where the subject changes and you didn't at least introduce the he/she/they/you/it before each change, I would be really confused. In some languages (Italian for example) it works because the verb gets conjugated in enough different ways to tell you who/what the subject is, but English only conjugates 2-3 different ways, not enough information.

Your English is very good though, so you really just have to practice and make it a habit.
1 x
END OF YEAR
: 108 / 108 Babbel Italian (Beginner)
: 47 / 47 Babbel Italian (Intermediate)

CONTINUOUS
: 27 / 100 Assimil Italian

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”