Anki specific question about creating cards

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Uncle Roger
Orange Belt
Languages: Italian (Native), English (as good as you see me write it here?), Norwegian (C1?), French (B2), Swedish (B1?)

Anki specific question about creating cards

Postby Uncle Roger » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:30 pm

Hello!

I thought I might ask here since there are many anki lovers.

I want to create a deck that has

- three field cards: Italian, English, explanation (with the last two being unveiled only after the specific action)
- the reverse of the above card, so English, Italian, explanation (with the last two being unveiled only after the specific action)
- audio for Italian

Looking for quick ways to do this, especially the audio.

At the moment I have built something on Excel. I write cards on three columns and the English+explanation is effectively the back of the card with a fancy
———————
in the middle. I then mix them to obtain the English, Italian+explanation.

I upload on Anki and record audio, but being I, E+exp and E, I+exp two different cards (i.e. the latter is not really the back of the former, otherwise I'd have E+exp, I), I have to record the same audio twice. a bit time consuming.

Looking for quicker ways to do this.

Thanks
0 x
«If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.»
Frank Zappa

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: Anki specific question about creating cards

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:27 pm

What I do for audio is record a whole set of words in a single run in Audacity - then put labels and export. You can then edit a deck and just drag and drop the recordings into the audio field.

To create cards where the reverse is different from the front, just go to Tools / Manage Note Types and clone the "Basic and Reverse" Note Type - edit this and apply it to your deck. The fields and front and back for going in one direction do not have to match going in the other direction.

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 22.28.20.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 22.28.30.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

jonm
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv.)
Bangla (int.)
French (passive)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9402

Postby jonm » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:12 pm

zenmonkey has covered just about everything, but in case it's helpful, here's an example of what your cards might look like...

Sounds like for each note you'll need four fields, which we could call Italian, English, Explanation, and Audio (of course, you could use any names). And for each note you'll need two cards, which we could call Forward and Reverse. As zenmonkey said, these don't actually have to mirror one other.

Your Forward card might look something like this...

Front:

Code: Select all

{{Audio}}
{{Italian}}

Back:

{{FrontSide}}
<hr>
{{English}}
<br>
{{Explanation}}

Or if you didn't want to hear the audio again when flipping the card, you could change the first line on the back from {{FrontSide}} to {{Italian}}.

And your Reverse card might look something like this...

Front:

{{English}}

Back:

{{FrontSide}}
<hr>
{{Audio}}
{{Italian}}
<br>
{{Explanation}}

You'd probably want to make some adjustments to the above, but just wanted to give you a rough idea of how you could do it.
1 x

Uncle Roger
Orange Belt
Languages: Italian (Native), English (as good as you see me write it here?), Norwegian (C1?), French (B2), Swedish (B1?)

Postby Uncle Roger » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:16 am

Thanks guys, very helpful, I'll try to make this work!
1 x
«If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.»
Frank Zappa

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”