How to translate this German sentence?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
aquarius
White Belt
Languages: German (N), English, French, Italian, Spanish (a bit), Catalan (a bit), Polish (learning), Slovak (a bit)

Re: How to translate this German sentence?

Postby aquarius » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:01 pm

flabbergasted wrote:Thanks a lot! I must have left it out when I was typing. Now I corrected it to the full version. One thing is not clear: "in the antecedent and broader society to be made". If the society is antecedent, i. e. coming BEFORE, why is it "to be made", i. e. coming in the future?

Which part of the sentence would you translate "to be made"?
0 x

aquarius
White Belt
Languages: German (N), English, French, Italian, Spanish (a bit), Catalan (a bit), Polish (learning), Slovak (a bit)

Postby aquarius » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:07 pm

flabbergasted wrote:I have read it up to this point. The subject is the foundation of a new type of society for which there won't be any distinction between written and spoken speech.

... where there won't be any distinction between our written and spoken speech on the one hand and our actions on the other.
0 x

flabbergasted
White Belt

Postby flabbergasted » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:13 am

aquarius wrote:
flabbergasted wrote:Thanks a lot! I must have left it out when I was typing. Now I corrected it to the full version. One thing is not clear: "in the antecedent and broader society to be made". If the society is antecedent, i. e. coming BEFORE, why is it "to be made", i. e. coming in the future?

Which part of the sentence would you translate "to be made"?

Thanks a lot for your explanation! Here I was referring to another member's attempt to translate the passage:

Likewise, it may be considered, how such a society can be awoken and established, where one in an appropriate fashion speaks and writes plainly, where speaking and writing achieve the same ends, and how this Speaking and Writing can achieve the same aims more broadly, namely in the antecedent and broader society to be made, which, although the larger, should not judge the smaller, the smaller being more the society par excellence.
0 x

Doitsujin
Green Belt
Languages: German (N)

Postby Doitsujin » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:45 pm

Even though I'm a native speaker I had a hard time understanding the sentence. BTW, a good German word to describe such sentences is verschwurbelt.

As far as I understand the sentence, what he meant to say was:

Wir sollten auch darüber nachdenken, wie man [am besten] eine solche [ideale] Gesellschaft erschaffen könnte, in der alle sagen [und schreiben], was sie meinen und ihre Worte in Taten umsetzen. Dies muss auch außerhalb dieser [idealen] Gesellschaft in der sie umfassenden vorgängigen Gesellschaft geschehen, und obwohl die vorgängige Gesellschaft größer ist, sollte sie sich nach dieser [idealen] Gesellschaft richten und [sie] zum Vorbild nehmen.

patrickwilken wrote:Here's my poor translation (context would probably help a lot):
Likewise, it may be considered, how such a society can be awoken and established, where one in an appropriate fashion speaks and writes plainly, where speaking and writing achieve the same ends, and how this Speaking and Writing can achieve the same aims more broadly, namely in the antecedent and broader society to be made, which, although the larger, should not judge the smaller, the smaller being more the society par excellence.
Your translation is actually pretty good, however, you mixed up "richten" [= to judge] with "sich richten nach" [= sich orientieren an = to follow s.o.'s example].
3 x

flabbergasted
White Belt

Postby flabbergasted » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:18 pm

Great adaptation! Thanks!
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”