How to understand the expression "it is not as if"?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Jamee Zhao
White Belt
Languages: Chinese(N), English(beginner)

How to understand the expression "it is not as if"?

Postby Jamee Zhao » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:58 am

Hi, everyone. I have been reading the novel A Bear Called Paddington recently,and I came across the following passage:

"I don't think that will be necessary at all," said Mrs. Brown hurriedly. "It's not as if he had to go to work in the city, so he doesn't want anything too smart. I think this woolen beret is very nice. The one with the pom-pom on top. The green will go well with his new coat, and it'll stretch so that he can pull it down over his ears when it gets cold."

The background to this passage is that Mrs. Brown wanted to buy a hat for Paddington bear, so the salesman put a pile of different hats on the counter. But there was a tricky question of Paddington's ears because they stuck out a lot. The salesman suggested that some holes could be cut in the hat to allow room for his ears, but Mrs. Brown didn't accept his advice, saying it was not necessary at all like we have seen above.

My question is that I am confused if Mrs. Brown meant that because Paddington didn't work in the city, he didn't need a hat too smart or that Paddington could wear a smart hat since he didn't work in the city? Will you be so kind as to explain why? Thank you for your help.
3 x

patrickwilken
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2+), Spanish (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8886

Re: How to understand the expression "it is not as if"?

Postby patrickwilken » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:12 am

Jamee Zhao wrote:if Mrs. Brown meant that because Paddington didn't work in the city,

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
0 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:32 am

Hi, Jamee

I am bad at explaining grammar but I'll try my best :)

You can use the phrase it's not as if when giving a reason that can't be the real one because it isn't true.
eg.
"Barry lost his job, you know?"
"I wonder why? It's not as if he's lazy."

So in your passage I'd interpret just like you did: Mr brown didn't need a smart hat because he doesn't work in the city. :D
2 x

Jamee Zhao
White Belt

Postby Jamee Zhao » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:48 am

Thank you. I now understand the usage of "it is not as if", but somehow I am still confused by the whole passage. For me, the beret is as smart as any other hats. Why did Mrs. Brown describe it as a less smart one?
0 x

Jamee Zhao
White Belt

Postby Jamee Zhao » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:01 am

Jaleel10 wrote:Hi, Jamee

I am bad at explaining grammar but I'll try my best :)

You can use the phrase it's not as if when giving a reason that can't be the real one because it isn't true.
eg.
"Barry lost his job, you know?"
"I wonder why? It's not as if he's lazy."

So in your passage I'd interpret just like you did: Mr brown didn't need a smart hat because he doesn't work in the city. :D

Thank you. I now understand the usage of "it is not as if", but somehow I am still confused by the whole passage. For me, the beret is as smart as any other hats. Why did Mrs. Brown describe it as a less smart one?
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:05 am

Jamee Zhao wrote:Thank you. I now understand the usage of "it is not as if", but somehow I am still confused by the whole passage. For me, the beret is as smart as any other hats. Why did Mrs. Brown describe it as a less smart one?

in the author's view a wool beret isn't as smart as other hats...

mens-hat-styles.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Jamee Zhao
White Belt

Postby Jamee Zhao » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:14 am

zenmonkey wrote:
Jamee Zhao wrote:Thank you. I now understand the usage of "it is not as if", but somehow I am still confused by the whole passage. For me, the beret is as smart as any other hats. Why did Mrs. Brown describe it as a less smart one?

in the author's view a wool beret isn't as smart as other hats...

mens-hat-styles.jpg

LOL. Got it.
0 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:39 pm

The beret would be considered a “casual” hat rather than “formal”, and “smart” is a synonym for formal here.
3 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:59 pm

"smart" can also mean "fashionable" but in American English it is a very old-fashioned way of speaking and no one uses this word with this meaning anymore. I'm not sure about British English. If you were to watch an American movie from the 1950s or read a novel from that time period (which is when Paddington Bear was written), you would hear the word "smart" (meaning fashionable) often. It used to be common for women in that time period to complement each other's clothing by calling it "smart".

However, it doesn't seem to be used anymore, and I doubt that younger generations are even familiar with this meaning.
2 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:30 pm

Google "smart casual" to see the latest fashion disaster from the UK. I don't think it affects women, but for men you are supposed to wear suits 3 sizes too small, and not wear socks. And have 3 days growth of beard at all times.

I went to a wedding where that was the dress code. It confused the heck out of the American guests (some just showed up in slacks and button down shirts with no ties, because they understood the casual part but not the smart part).

I did my research and knew what it was, but couldn't bring myself to humiliate myself by dressing like a circus clown, so I went with what the Italians call 'sportivo.' I didn't match with the young people, but was happy to see the father of the bride went 'sportivo' also ...
5 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”