How many languages do you actively maintain and study at the same time?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!

How many languages in total do you actively maintain and study. [b:24gj4on1]Native language(s) included.[/b:24gj4on1]

8%
14%
24%
27%
7%
7%
4%
No votes
No votes
10 or more
8%

Total votes: 84

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Re: How many languages do you actively maintain and study at the same time?

Postby tarvos » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:13 pm

Honestly, I barely choose which languages should be C-level beforehand. They end up being that because they end up being used due to other circumstances, not due to meticulous prior planning.
5 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt
Languages: Currently Studying: Korean (Intermediate) KSL (Beginner) Mandarin (Beginner) Danish (Beginner) Classical Chinese (On Hold)

Interested in: Mongolian, Finnish, Turkish, Russian.

Previously Studied: Latin, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Turkish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=165080

Postby RachelMeier » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:41 pm

Decided to count Mandarin and Classical Chinese separately so including English I’m at 4. I think my eventual goal is probably 7, definitely adding Turkish which I’m still upset I don’t have time for, and then the remaining two still up in the air.
0 x

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:24 pm

iguanamon wrote:It's debatable whether or not it's more worthy to prioritize one's time in a second language over one's native language. There are pros and cons both ways. For example, earlier this year I read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen in Portuguese and Spanish translation, alternating chapters for the most part. I've never even read her in English and she's one of the great authors in my native tongue. Somehow, I've got to the point where I feel as if I can't justify reading her in English. Why is that? I should not have to justify to myself or anyone else reading in my native language. That's odd, isn't it?

I've been doing the same thing, and I agree: it's odd! To the point where I think I'm going to stop doing it. One of the joys of language study for me is that I've been able to discover some of the world's great authors in their native language, and to hear their 'voice' for the first time. And so it's ironic that I'm now doing the reverse, and losing the voice of English authors by reading them in translation.
3 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”