How many languages do you actively maintain and study at the same time?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!

How many languages in total do you actively maintain and study. [b:24gj4on1]Native language(s) included.[/b:24gj4on1]

8%
14%
24%
27%
7%
7%
4%
No votes
No votes
10 or more
8%

Total votes: 84

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: How many languages do you actively maintain and study at the same time?

Postby Serpent » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:01 am

That's 27 hours of L2 assuming their L1 is considered maintained. Depending on one's situation, about a half of that can be done during lunch breaks and commuting. (more if you are really unlucky with your commutes)
I'm also curious who these voters are :)
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:09 am

devilyoudont wrote:I too kind of find it strange that some people don't seem interested in maintenance... like, what was the point of climbing the mountain if you don't get to enjoy the view...

I find you have to reach a certain level before 'maintenance' becomes possible. I put a lot of time and energy into Ancient Greek, for example. When I slowed down, and could only put in a few hours a week, I started rapidly losing ground. I was regressing instead of maintaining. With other languages I've been able to reach that magical level.

I've actually wondered a lot what that point might be, that level where you can sustain a language without actively studying it.
1 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Postby Axon » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:11 am

I also disagree with the figure of three hours a week, but I stuck to it and so only marked 3 languages including English. My French, for instance, has somehow slowly improved from zero to high beginner in the last four years with something like 30 minutes on a good week.

Although I've become more accustomed to tracking study time since my first 6WC in April of this year, I hadn't really thought about setting an actual hourly minimum for each language. An hour a week sounds good to me.
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:29 pm

I maintain everything in my profile (and more). If it's a good week, I may reach 2 hours in a language (that's ~15 minutes per day, plus a little extra during the weekend).
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:56 pm

I voted 1 - English. I think it would be wrong count my native language as a language I maintain because I'm kind of living in it. I use Russain every day and all day long. And my Italian isn't at the level when there's something to maintain. Besides, I'm still in the process of learning how to handle two foreign languages at the same time.
2 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:08 pm

10 or more. I use so many I don't even know how I do it.
1 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

harikishore
White Belt
Languages: Tamil (N)
Telugu (N)
English (Fluent)
Spanish (Beginner)

Postby harikishore » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:33 pm

I voted 4 (English, Tamil, Telugu and Spanish). Of the four, the.most.comfortable and fluent language for me is Tamil and that confused me. Read on.
I spend time learning Spanish everyday ; At work English ; At home Telugu, so pretty straightforward. I can't say I use 3 hours of Tamil every single week. The only Tamil is when I talk to my Tamil friends and when I watch Tamil movies. But even if I'm not exposed to Tamil for say one whole year, I'm pretty sure the language will still be my most comfortable language :) So, as most others mentioned, 3 hours of usage per week shouldn't be applied to Native (or Native level) language.
1 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:41 pm

aaleks wrote:I voted 1 - English. I think it would be wrong count my native language as a language I maintain because I'm kind of living in it. I use Russain every day and all day long. And my Italian isn't at the level when there's something to maintain. Besides, I'm still in the process of learning how to handle two foreign languages at the same time.
I'm afraid that's not the point of this poll. If the OP wants to find out how many languages people use/study for at least 3 hours a week, you shouldn't exclude your L1, nor Italian (if you study it for 3 hours per week, regardless of the level reached).
For the purpose of this thread, monolingual people spend their whole life maintaining (and hopefully improving) their L1.
3 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:13 pm

Serpent wrote:
aaleks wrote:I voted 1 - English. I think it would be wrong count my native language as a language I maintain because I'm kind of living in it. I use Russain every day and all day long. And my Italian isn't at the level when there's something to maintain. Besides, I'm still in the process of learning how to handle two foreign languages at the same time.
I'm afraid that's not the point of this poll. If the OP wants to find out how many languages people use/study for at least 3 hours a week, you shouldn't exclude your L1, nor Italian (if you study it for 3 hours per week, regardless of the level reached).
For the purpose of this thread, monolingual people spend their whole life maintaining (and hopefully improving) their L1.

It's hard to tell how much time I spend on Italian per week because it depends. For example, the last week I covered these 3 hours in one run day, but sometimes it's just 15 min here 15 min there. I thought of voting "2 languages" but couldn't help but feel like a liar. But technically I guess I'm really maintaining (i.e. doing something in) two languages now. Hmm... :roll:
0 x

BalancingAct
Orange Belt
Languages: Mandarin, Cantonese, English (Prof.), French (Adv. - Prof.), Italian (Adv.), German (Adv. receptive), Spanish (Int. receptive)

Postby BalancingAct » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:36 pm

There is no difference between maintain and actively maintain?
The poll is meaningless as some people don't seem to make the distinction.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”