Kick-starting my French endeavours for upcoming move to France

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Kick-starting my French endeavours for upcoming move to France

Postby rdearman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:00 pm

Since you're in the UK you might want to consider Charity Shops. I picked up Assimil New French with Ease at a charity shop for £1.50 and I have found literally dozens of paperback books in French. If you're in the city of London then you'll be spoiled for choice for French novels in charity shops in South Kensington area which is filled with French speakers.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

bretagne
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8845

Postby bretagne » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:03 pm

rdearman wrote:Since you're in the UK you might want to consider Charity Shops. I picked up Assimil New French with Ease at a charity shop for £1.50 and I have found literally dozens of paperback books in French. If you're in the city of London then you'll be spoiled for choice for French novels in charity shops in South Kensington area which is filled with French speakers.

Great idea - thank you. I do keep an eye out but to be honest I'm never that thorough. Guess who's paying a visit to the charity shops of South Ken tomorrow! ;)
0 x
1: 666 / 10000 Clozemaster 10,000 French Fluency Fast Track Cards
2: 11 / 100 Assimil New French with Ease (100 lessons)

SM11
White Belt
Languages: French Native
Fluent in English and Portuguese
Learning Chinese mandarin

Postby SM11 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:05 am

Hello bretagne ! (beautiful region by the way :D )

I'm not sure you realize how lucky you are to have a French partner to practice French with!

You know, sooo many people struggle because they don't have anyone to practice French in their daily environment, and they are too scared or lazy to step out of their comfort zone and find one on internet or mobile apps.

I assume you are already living together if you are moving to France right? So there's no better way to improve your French than talking in French the whole day ^^ You have to be clear with him, "today we are talking only in French, period". It doesn't have to be every day like this, but maybe you can choose some days of the week. If you can do that, you will see how quick you will progress.

Of course, you should also study grammar, conjugation, vocabulary... by yourself as well. I think the best thing would be a course that has everyday life dialogues, with their written transcriptions and audio recordings. Something like Assimil is pretty good, but the way they explain doesn't always correspond to current modern spoken French.

Once you have listen to a dialogue, it's important to repeat it out loud, and if possible do it with your partner so that he can correct your pronunciation. If you study together, maybe you will feel more and more at ease to speak French with him.

For real, it would really be a pity not "use" your partner to help you learn.

I'm sure you can do it, bon courage !
5 x
articles about French language, French culture & motivation here

munyag
Yellow Belt
Languages: Shona (N), Spanish (Beginner), French (Beginner)

Postby munyag » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:48 pm

rdearman wrote:Since you're in the UK you might want to consider Charity Shops. I picked up Assimil New French with Ease at a charity shop for £1.50 and I have found literally dozens of paperback books in French. If you're in the city of London then you'll be spoiled for choice for French novels in charity shops in South Kensington area which is filled with French speakers.

From where I live to South Kensington is a good 60-70 mile drive. Might take a train in and make a day of it in London. Thanks for that tip.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”