Resources for Canadian French

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Diama
Languages: Russian (native) Ukrainian (native) English (C2) Spanish (C1) French (B1) Japanese (A1)

Postby Diama » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:58 pm

Hi guys,
I'm looking for recomendations on Canadian French resources. Anything goes! It's a job related necessity, so major focus on listening/speaking. Thank you!
0 x

Speakeasy

Re: Resources for Canadian French

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:51 pm

Welcome to the Forum!
Hello, Diama, welcome to the forum! I look forward to reading your comments on many of the numerous subjects in the forum.

Canadian French versus Metropolitan French
My personal experiences with “Canadian French” suggest to me that it is, at the very most, a minor dialect of “Metropolitan French” or “Standard International French” and that the major differences between the Standard version and the Canadian version(s) are related to pronunciation. Yes, there are definitely minor differences in vocabulary. In addition, there exist numerous idiomatic expressions that are unique to each variant; however, in the vast majority of cases, a native speaker of French would have absolutely no difficulty understanding the sense of such expressions even though he might never have heard them before. An analogous situation exists when comparing English as it is spoken in the United Kingdom to the variant spoken in the United States. Ditto for Spanish and Portuguese in Europe versus the Americas.

Broadly speaking, native-speakers of “Canadian French” and “Metropolitan French” speak and write the same language, they use the same grammatical structures, they share a common vocabulary and, in those instances where they have difficulties understanding one another, the differences are most often due to the lack of acclimatization to their interlocutor’s accent. The French-language textbooks used in the Québec education system are, for the most part, published in France.

Finally, it should be noted that, as French is one of the two official languages of Canada, it is studied as a compulsory subject in most Canadian Elementary and Secondary schools. Nevertheless, the variant studied in Canadian schools is “Standard International French.” Now then, while many non-Francophone-Canadian students may complain that, after having studied French for a period exceeding six years or more, they cannot understand “Canadian French”, this should not be taken as confirmation that a huge chasm separates Canadian French from Standard International French. Sadly, despite the massive investment in resources devoted to French language instruction in Canadian schools and universities over the past six decades, the outcomes have been no better than the dispiriting results witnessed by many other foreign language programmes throughout the Western world. That is, the Canadian students' lack of understanding of "Canadian French" has nothing to do with the latter's differences from its parent; they have similar, if not identical, difficulties in understanding "International French" upon completion of their language studies.

So then, what does any of what I wrote above mean for resources for Canadian French? Well, the quick answer would be “there aren’t any” or, if you prefer, “they are as rare as hen’s teeth.” I have copied/pasted below, a few of my previous comments of the subject …

Books for the Teaching of French, Published in Québec
There must be hundreds of books from Québécois publishing houses for the teaching of French at Elementary Schools, High Schools, Colleges, Universities, for the Public Sector, for language schools, for private firms, for individuals, et cetera. However, the language presented in these books would be Standard International French. They just happen to be published in Québec.

Books for the Teaching of the French-Canadian or Québécois language
Perhaps you were referring to books from Québécois publishing houses, or publishing houses from outside of Québec, that teach the French-Canadian or Québécois language? I have come across perhaps a dozen-or-so books, whether published in Québec or in France, that make an honest effort at presenting a large number of vocabulary items and idioms that have a unique sense in Québec as opposed to their equivalent, or to non-existing terms, as used in France. There are also a number of works that make either serious or humorous self-deprecating attempts at explaining the uniqueness of the Québécois culture, life styles, world view, cursing, et cetera. That is, such works are specialized glossaries and the like. However, I have never come across any "courses" that purport to teach the French-Canadian or Québécois language as a variant that is distinct from Standard International French. Yes, there are some distinct features in the manner by which French is spoken in Québec; however, the common conventions governing the conjugation of verbs, the use prepositions, the agreement of adjectives and all other elements of grammar are respected in Québec. Of course, you'll come across people whose spoken French is in a register that has some surprising differences from that of Parisian French, but you can find examples of this throughout France, including Paris.

Le québécois en 10 leçons
I absolutely shudder at the thought that someone might take the admittedly-admirable-and-well-intentioned attempts by the author of “Le québécois en 10 leçons” as being fully representative of “Canadian French” in all its contours. Nevertheless, because you asked, and although I am filled with the greatest possible reservation, I am providing the link: http://www.je-parle-quebecois.com/bons-plans-promotions/le-quebecois-en-10-lecons.html

Ultimately, if you want to learn "Canadian French", I suggest that you concentrate on achieving a CEFR C1-C2 level in "Standard French" and that begin watching some Québécois television programmes. Please bear in mind though, that the quality of such programming reflects the same standards that you will have already encountered anywhere else! C'est-à-dire, c'est affreux!
Last edited by Speakeasy on Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

dgc1970
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)

Postby dgc1970 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:55 pm

Diama wrote:Hi guys,
I'm looking for recomendations on Canadian French resources. Anything goes! It's a job related necessity, so major focus on listening/speaking. Thank you!

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/

You might need to use a VPN if you aren't in Canada.
0 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: Taking a siesta from this site for the rest of 2024.

Postby lavengro » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:22 pm

In addition to the other recommendations, there are a number of videos available on the youtube that may be of interest to you - search variations of "French Canadian Metropolitan France" so that you can compare the French skills you already have with French as it may be spoken in Canada. Here is a fun one - the segment on compressed pronunciation beginning at 1:58 struck home for me, as that is how French always sounded to me during occasional visits to Montréal in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae913QSPsAk
0 x
This signature space now dedicated to Vancouver's best - but least known - two person female power rock band:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbymC_M1AY, ,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Av4S6u83a0

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:04 am

I agree with Speakeasy except that you can sometimes find programs with Canadian French audio. The first French learning book I ever bought "French for dummies" had a CD with it recorded in a strong Canadian accent. (This was a really long time ago.. no idea what the current edition contains). You can also sometimes find songs for children.

Still, I don't see the point in seeking out specific learning resources unless you are mostly looking for media suggestions? Study standard French and consume lots of Canadian tv and radio.
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

kulaputra
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Kannada (semi-native, illiterate), Spanish (~C1), Hindi (A2 speech, B1 comprehension), French (A1 speech, A2 listening, >=B1 reading), Mandarin Chinese (~A1)

Postby kulaputra » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:27 pm

OP, do you live in Quebec?
0 x
Iha śāriputra: rūpaṃ śūnyatā śūnyataiva rūpaṃ; rūpān na pṛthak śūnyatā śunyatāyā na pṛthag rūpaṃ; yad rūpaṃ sā śūnyatā; ya śūnyatā tad rūpaṃ.

--Heart Sutra

Please correct any of my non-native languages, if needed!

nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Postby nooj » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:40 am

One of the best non-professional websites I've ever found for information about the varieties of Canadian French:

https://quebeccultureblog.com/

Made by an average-joe with an above-average interest in the French language in his country.

Canadian French is stunningly diverse, so many varieties are very poorly represented. Case in point: people are only familiar with 'Québec French' (and yet, within Québec, there are many many varieties of French) and are unfamiliar with e.g. Manitoban French or Ontarian French or the many varieties of Acadian French.

This website is also a godsend for French from Québec, although it does deal with other varieties of French in Canada from time to time.

https://offqc.com/
3 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”