What are the nuts and bolts of what you actually do?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Re: What are the nuts and bolts of what you actually do?

Postby StringerBell » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:05 pm

trui wrote: My method when it comes to grammar and vocab has always been to learn a piece of grammar/vocab, try out a sentence or two that uses it, and then get feedback from native speakers.

Thanks for that very detailed explanation! So far, this is more or less what I've started doing with Italian. For the longest time I had an impossible time using reflexive verb constructions correctly even though I could understand them whenever I heard or read them. So, I decided to take one specific example (to brush one's teeth= lavarsi i denti) and I made a list of as many different ways to say it as I could:

-I brush my teeth.
-I brushed my teeth already.
-Did you brush your teeth?
-I don't want to brush my teeth.
-I don't like to brush my teeth.
-I was brushing my teeth when the phone rang.

I made up about 20 or 30 of these, asked a native speaker to help me translate them and then I looked for patterns to understand what the construction is supposed to be. Then every day for a few weeks I practiced asking and answering teeth-brushing questions with a native speaker (which was boring as heck and probably sounded really silly) but after about 2 weeks, I was able to say pretty much any variation that involved brushing teeth. Now, when I need to use a reflexive construction, I automatically think about how I'd say a similar thing but with teeth brushing and then adjust the verb to what I actually want to say.

It sounds like I'm doing something similar to what you're doing (though I focused only on one specific verb until i could master it). That was a good suggestion about asking if something sounds natural vs. asking if it's "right"; I will definitely remember to do that in the future. So it seems like tackling one grammar concept at a time and doing a lot of practice sentences is the way to go.

When I first tried to learn Polish about 10 years ago, I started with a grammar approach first and it was a huge failure for me. That's why I didn't even want to look at grammar until I felt more comfortable with either language, and so far I feel good about that choice. With Polish, I'm starting now to focus on the case endings, but not in the traditional way (memorizing declension tables). Instead, when I start to notice some endings that seem like they might be a pattern, I start writing down the complete sentence. Then I group the sentences based on similar endings and try to figure out what the pattern actually is.

I've found that if I have to figure out what the rule is myself, it makes more sense and I automatically internalize it, but if I read that same rule in a textbook or someone tells me what it is, then it seems really confusing and impossible to use.

Additonally, I decided to finally tackle how to make a singular word plural (after 600 hours of exposure to the language) because it felt like a Wild West No-Rules At All Show when it came to plurals. So I started with one little piece at a time. In the past, I would have tried to memorize the rules for making every single word into a plural, then gotten completely frustrated and quit. This time, I chose just one group of words (neutral nouns) and once I understood how to make them plural, I focused on the next group of words. Doing it like that has made a huge difference for me.

After coming up with these ways to deal grammar, it occurred to me that other people here must have devised their own strategies for handling difficult grammar concepts, so if anyone does have some tricks up their sleeves, I'm all ears!
7 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

zjones
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1-certified), Spanish and Greek (abandoned)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9860

Postby zjones » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:44 pm

StringerBell wrote:Thanks for that very detailed explanation! So far, this is more or less what I've started doing with Italian. For the longest time I had an impossible time using reflexive verb constructions correctly even though I could understand them whenever I heard or read them. So, I decided to take one specific example (to brush one's teeth= lavarsi i denti) and I made a list of as many different ways to say it as I could:

-I brush my teeth.
-I brushed my teeth already.
-Did you brush your teeth?
-I don't want to brush my teeth.
-I don't like to brush my teeth.
-I was brushing my teeth when the phone rang.

I made up about 20 or 30 of these, asked a native speaker to help me translate them and then I looked for patterns to understand what the construction is supposed to be. Then every day for a few weeks I practiced asking and answering teeth-brushing questions with a native speaker (which was boring as heck and probably sounded really silly) but after about 2 weeks, I was able to say pretty much any variation that involved brushing teeth. Now, when I need to use a reflexive construction, I automatically think about how I'd say a similar thing but with teeth brushing and then adjust the verb to what I actually want to say.

Thanks for sharing this! I really love the idea of these homemade drills and I think I'm going to try them myself.
3 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:18 am

Very valid question! I think there's an "unconscious competence" element where more experienced learners don't put much thought into what they're doing as they've already figured out what works for them and they just do it, but this means that their descriptions and advice can be vague. I've tried to ask accomplished musicians for advice but they've often just told me things like "I just play the notes" or "I've always known how to sing", and I feel like the only loser who has to figure out what all that actually means. Back in languages, I'm not a hugely experienced learner but I've conquered the beginner and intermediate stages in a couple of languages so I'm probably guilty of it. I don't tend to go into the gory details on my log, but maybe that's what people would find useful...

Some of the things I do (but keep in mind that I study languages that are quite transparent for an English speaker and close to each other):

"Using Anki": I'll quote my reply from another thread, "Intermediate and Advanced use of Anki" (a title which I misunderstood as meaning using it at an intermediate/advanced level in a language, as opposed to knowledge of the software itself):

I only use Anki at intermediate and advanced levels; for a beginner, I think courses and input already cover the basic vocabulary adequately. I use two card types:

- Cloze deletions, usually partial words, usually with a hint which could be in the TL or English or another language, for words/expressions I'd like to be able to use. I try to keep them short, like a sentence or two; I've tried "massive" ones but I just get lazy and don't read the whole thing so it becomes counter-productive. Full-word clozes are usually too ambiguous to be helpful unless the hint is very clear, so I find things like Clozemaster useless.

- Basic cards with sentence or two with a highlighted word, for things I'd like to be able to recognise receptively but don't really care about using actively.

I also have a maximum interval of around 4 months, since intervals on Anki since version 2 get very long very quickly and they removed the nice ways to tweak them. I've tried playing with the other interval settings but never found them satisfactory.

Fairly simple and painless, and it does what I want - revising a bit of mid-frequency vocab for a few minutes per day - so I've settled on it. I got the ideas from other forum threads, emk's in particular.

My cards mostly come from electronic books (I highlight in Kindle then make cards later, and usually only highlight phrases from dialogue and avoid ones from narration), online articles, or speech in TV/videos/etc.

"Using transcripts and subtitles": My method has always been to listen and read at the same time, and look up unknown words either during or after. There are all sorts of possible permutations of listening before/during/after reading but it's probably six or half a dozen in terms of results.

Films and TV series: I usually watch with L2 subtitles if available, or no subs if I can mostly follow that way, or English subs as a last resort when L2 ones aren't available and it's too difficult without them or if it's at the cinema or on TV and I don't have a choice in the matter! I might rewind to catch a phrase I missed, or pause to look up a word or make an Anki card, but nothing more "intensive" than that. I believe the most important thing is to just pay proper attention.

Books: Another thing I avoid as a beginner but find very useful afterwards. I try to choose modern novels with plenty everyday language. I do read some more literary stuff in advanced languages, but I don't consider it a language learning activity as such; it's more for pleasure and cultural interest.

Writing: I keep "diary"-style documents in a couple of my languages. I try to write about a variety of subjects, even banal everyday stuff like work, as well as the typical "thoughts on life". This is personal so nobody sees it for correction, which I realise is limiting, but as a way to practise putting my thoughts into words in preparation for conversations it does the job.
9 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:05 pm

garyb wrote:Very valid question! I think there's an "unconscious competence" element where more experienced learners don't put much thought into what they're doing as they've already figured out what works for them and they just do it, but this means that their descriptions and advice can be vague. I've tried to ask accomplished musicians for advice but they've often just told me things like "I just play the notes" or "I've always known how to sing", and I feel like the only loser who has to figure out what all that actually means. Back in languages, I'm not a hugely experienced learner but I've conquered the beginner and intermediate stages in a couple of languages so I'm probably guilty of it. I don't tend to go into the gory details on my log, but maybe that's what people would find useful...

I think the gory details would be really helpful, not only for people just starting out in their language learning journey, but also for experienced learners.

I was a high school math teacher in a very high performing school for many years. One of the reasons it was so high performing was that the principal was always trying to support the teachers - even experienced ones - to become even better by trying new things. He required all of us to visit and observe each other's classes (didn't matter which subject) to get new ideas and insights and perhaps try something new in our own classrooms.

So even though I've been slowly designing my own language learning program over the last year and am happy with what I've come up with, I can't help but wonder exactly what others are doing, because maybe there are some really good ideas out there that I've never thought of. And maybe others would like to try something I've been doing that hasn't occurred to them.

For example, with my Polish reading I've been doing something really helpful (that isn't by any means revolutionary) but I never really see people talking about doing anything similar.

HOW I READ IN POLISH AT A LOW-INTERMEDIATE STAGE: I have a huge collection of fairly short stories (as PDFs) with accompanying audio (each one is about 5 minutes) as well as the Polish translation of one of my favorite novels (in ebook format) that I bought online from Empik (which is an amazing website for audibooks and ebooks in Polish). I personally HATE to look up words while I’m trying to read; it ruins the flow and if I go back to reread sections I may not remember those words and then need to look them up all over again. I find this to be a huge waste of time and a good way to make me hate reading.

So instead of using this approach, I copy and paste the digital PDF file into a Word document. Then I paste that file into google translate. In my Word document I seperate a chunk (about every 4 lines) with a space, and under each chunk I paste the corresponding translation from google translate. This process doesn't really take that long; maybe 5 minutes for a full page of text. As I read the text while listening to the audio, I color-code words and sentences. I reread/relisten to each story (or section of novel) at least 4-5 times before moving on, and I periodically return to older stories/sections of novel after a few weeks or months have passed.

This serves a few functions; if I lose my place while listening to the audio, as soon as I hear a familiar word or phrase, it’s easy to find my place again since everything is color-coded. Additonally, it helps me to pay attention what I think is important at the time. For example, I’m starting to focus a lot on verbs of motion, so every time I see mentioned that someone went somewhere, came somewhere, left a room, etc… I put those sections into a shade of blue. I automatically know that anything blue is a verb of motion. I’m also now starting to underline specific pronouns that correspond to certain verbs when I come across them.

This way, I can go back to read and/or listen to any old passages or stories and I have a color-coded translation ready for me in case I forget a word that I haven’t seen in a while and I don’t have to waste time looking it up again. I’m including a screen shot of a part of one of my stories so you can see an example of what I do.

I noticed that when I first started this process, I tended to color code individual words. Now that my comprehension is much better, I’m focusing on color coding phrases and larger parts of sentences, and rather than trying to learn individual words, I’m now trying to pay attention to when specific case endings or prepositions are used.

When google translate gives me a funky translation that seems really weird, I look up the word or phrase using Reverso Context, which is really good at dealing with idioms and expressions. I also re-arrange the translation so that the word order in English is as close as possible to the word order in Polish (unless it completely prevents me from understanding it) because the word order is one thing I find extremely difficult with Polish.

Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 12.14.56 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
12 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:09 pm

StringerBell wrote: maybe there are some really good ideas out there that I've never thought of. And maybe others would like to try something I've been doing that hasn't occurred to them.
The techniques category of the wikia is exactly for that :D https://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki ... Techniques New entries are always welcome!
I used to link to it in almost every thread but I don't bother anymore because nobody follows the link(s) :(
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:22 pm

Serpent wrote:
StringerBell wrote: maybe there are some really good ideas out there that I've never thought of. And maybe others would like to try something I've been doing that hasn't occurred to them.
The techniques category of the wikia is exactly for that :D https://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki ... Techniques New entries are always welcome!
I used to link to it in almost every thread but I don't bother anymore because nobody follows the link(s) :(

That link seems like it's good as a general overview for someone who is totally new to language learning and needs a "primer" for some of the basics, like what is SRS, extensive vs. intensive reading. I guess I'm more interested in the specific activities (the details) that people here are doing. In my case, color coding my reading is something that I've never seen anyone mention, but in my opinion it's the most important thing I do on a daily basis for Polish.

Or even the dictation practice that I do (#4 in my opening post) is an idea I came across after months and months of researching language learning activities when I felt like my routine was getting a little stale and I wanted to shake things up a bit. I'm generally not a fan of Fluent in 3 Months, but that's where I found the guest post explaining this technique: https://www.fluentin3months.com/transcr ... technique/

I (like many others here, I imagine) have a ton of fantastic target-language resources at my disposal, and every so often I find myself wondering, "what else can I do with what I have? How can I change up my routine or revisit something I read awhile ago in a new and exciting way?"
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:36 pm

Serpent wrote:

Don't give up, it will shortly be linked from the menu...
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:22 am

StringerBell wrote:I'm generally not a fan of Fluent in 3 Months, but that's where I found the guest post explaining this technique: https://www.fluentin3months.com/transcr ... technique/

here's why I've found it's not very useful to me:
Katherine Whitman wrote:Aim for 50-80% general understanding when you do a ‘test listen’

If that's native material, it's a very good B2 level she's talking about imo.
1 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:27 am

leosmith wrote:
StringerBell wrote:I'm generally not a fan of Fluent in 3 Months, but that's where I found the guest post explaining this technique: https://www.fluentin3months.com/transcr ... technique/

here's why I've found it's not very useful to me:
Katherine Whitman wrote:Aim for 50-80% general understanding when you do a ‘test listen’

If that's native material, it's a very good B2 level she's talking about imo.

But she's talking about choosing level appropriate material there?
Are you saying at B1 you can't find material where you understand 50% or more?

I now have a general understand of well over 80% of what I hear in German. I still consider myself and intermediate B2. Am I wrong here?
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:44 pm

StringerBell wrote:
Serpent wrote:

That link seems like it's good as a general overview for someone who is totally new to language learning and needs a "primer" for some of the basics, like what is SRS, extensive vs. intensive reading. I guess I'm more interested in the specific activities (the details) that people here are doing. In my case, color coding my reading is something that I've never seen anyone mention, but in my opinion it's the most important thing I do on a daily basis for Polish.

Or even the dictation practice that I do (#4 in my opening post) is an idea I came across after months and months of researching language learning activities when I felt like my routine was getting a little stale and I wanted to shake things up a bit. I'm generally not a fan of Fluent in 3 Months, but that's where I found the guest post explaining this technique: https://www.fluentin3months.com/transcr ... technique/
It goes from the basics to the more advanced/obscure techniques. Your colour-coded reading would be a great addition to the reading strategies page, for example!
Dictation is somehow much less common in the English-speaking world than outside of it (just my impression), I don't think we have any section on it but it would be welcome too :D
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”