FSI Hebrew Basic Course - missing page

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: FSI Hebrew Basic Course - missing page

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:38 am

cjareck wrote:
Ani wrote:If you want to double check that there are no other pages missing I'll submit the FOIA request.

Of course I will check the pdf and let you know asap about the missing pages.

You are missing pgs 272, 383, 388.
3 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:53 am

And, as I've been meaning to get a copy of this, I just ordered an old paper version. As soon as I get it, I'll print the relevant pages, if they are there. (I won't have it until 17.08.18 when I next go to the US.)
1 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:56 am

zenmonkey wrote:You are missing pgs 272, 383, 388.

Thanks! I just woke up (or rather was waken up by my children) and wrote quickly before getting up. Now I was going to check all the pages but thanks to you I do not need ;) I confirm that the abovementioned sheets are missing. Thanks again!
0 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:19 am

Brun Ugle wrote:
Ani wrote:That's a great idea. We can use the Equal Justice Act to pay for our suit... I've definitely suffered greatly without page 272...

cjareck wrote:.

If you want to double check that there are no other pages missing I'll submit the FOIA request. No guarantees about how long it will take, although they should at least answer in 20 days.
Even if the time line doesn't work for you, it'd be nice to correct the publicly available copies for the rest of the world.

Wow! If that works, maybe it could be used to get all the other missing courses and bits of courses. There are a number of courses that are missing some tapes, have some very poor quality audio, are missing books or are perhaps just missing all together.

Most of that *should* be at the National Archives and is probably most cost effective for someone to go get directly from there. I think they'll do a few things by email too, but no where near as full service as the other route :) I'll definitely post whatever the result is, but if it works well FOIA can be used for the missing bits. It does have some research and copying charges over.. I think 2h and 100 pages? But I have no idea how steep it would be to get several hundred pages. Might not be bad if they're in a single document..

I plan to visit DC in the fall.. I'll have to plan a trip to the National Archives now.
3 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:22 am

Ani wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:
Ani wrote:That's a great idea. We can use the Equal Justice Act to pay for our suit... I've definitely suffered greatly without page 272...

cjareck wrote:.

If you want to double check that there are no other pages missing I'll submit the FOIA request. No guarantees about how long it will take, although they should at least answer in 20 days.
Even if the time line doesn't work for you, it'd be nice to correct the publicly available copies for the rest of the world.

Wow! If that works, maybe it could be used to get all the other missing courses and bits of courses. There are a number of courses that are missing some tapes, have some very poor quality audio, are missing books or are perhaps just missing all together.

Most of that *should* be at the National Archives and is probably most cost effective for someone to go get directly from there. I think they'll do a few things by email too, but no where near as full service as the other route :) I'll definitely post whatever the result is, but if it works well FOIA can be used for the missing bits. It does have some research and copying charges over.. I think 2h and 100 pages? But I have no idea how steep it would be to get several hundred pages. Might not be bad if they're in a single document..

I plan to visit DC in the fall.. I'll have to plan a trip to the National Archives now.

Is there a list of the missing material?

FOIA requests at State usually take close to a year to complete. I'm guessing you are talking about doing a request to SLS via FSI via State?
If you are going to do that, try to get newer courses :lol: ;)
4 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:45 pm

zenmonkey wrote:

FOIA requests at State usually take close to a year to complete. I'm guessing you are talking about doing a request to SLS via FSI via State?

Wow that's super long. I know other agencies aren't that far behind but I guess State is probably most frequently FOIA-d. National Archives is probably a better idea for the Hebrew pages. I'll see what I can find.
We should try and get new courses.. I wonder if anyone has State contacts that can give some clues as to what we're looking for. I don't know if they still make them themselves or are contracted out now (which would probably make them not releasable) . It's worth a shot though. Doesn't cost anything to make the request.

We could also get the teachers' lesson plans that go with the lab material. I did find record numbers where lesson plan materials were sent to the National Archive.
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)

Postby cjareck » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:08 pm

I have just received the following email:
This document was removed from the ERIC collection due to readability issues. I was, however, able to find page 272 to send you. It isn't the best copy but it is the best I can do. I am not able to forward the entire document. I hope this is helpful.

I regret deeply asking only about page 272. Today I have to go to sleep, but tomorrow I will thank for it and ask for more ;) I have the pdf od the missing page!
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:19 pm

Ani wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:

Wow that's super long. I know other agencies aren't that far behind but I guess State is probably most frequently FOIA-d. National Archives is probably a better idea for the Hebrew pages. I'll see what I can find.
We should try and get new courses.. I wonder if anyone has State contacts that can give some clues as to what we're looking for. I don't know if they still make them themselves or are contracted out now (which would probably make them not releasable) . It's worth a shot though. Doesn't cost anything to make the request.

We could also get the teachers' lesson plans that go with the lab material. I did find record numbers where lesson plan materials were sent to the National Archive.

Well, it took me a bit to find it had to go to Library of Congress site and then drill down to Hathi.
Here it is - pg 273 can be download but not the full document from here.

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000982085
3 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:27 pm

zenmonkey wrote:
Well, it took me a bit to find it had to go to Library of Congress site and then drill down to Hathi.
Here it is - pg 273 can be download but not the full document from here.

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000982085

Well aren't you good at this :)
2 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:33 pm

Zenmonkey Thank you very much!
So I will just thank for the page and not harras about the other ones ;) I have downloaded them, and I will send them to Eric, perhaps he will be able to update the pdf.
I checked the copy on the archive.org page and it also lacks those pages.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”