FSI Hebrew Basic Course - missing page

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

FSI Hebrew Basic Course - missing page

Postby cjareck » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:59 pm

Does anyone have a copy of FSI Hebrew Basic Corse with page 272 and could provide me with a scan of it? I would be very grateful since my pdf does not include it.
0 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Speakeasy

Re: FSI Hebrew Basic Course - missing page

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:30 pm

Hello, cjareck. What big eyes you have, grandma! I downloaded my own copy of the FSI Hebrew Basic course a couple of years ago from the FSI-Languages.yojik website and it, too, is missing page 272. Some other possible sources are:

U.S. Government E.R.I.C. website
https://eric.ed.gov/?q=hebrew&pg=38&id=ED014050
I located what-appears-to-be the entry for the FSI Hebrew Basic course but, unfortunately, the PDF file is pending restoration. If you were to contact the administrators of this website, they might be in a position to accommodate you by either: (a) moving forward the restoration of the complete file and rendering it available to the public, or (b) sending you a copy of the missing page.

Live Lingua Project website
https://www.livelingua.com/fsi-language-courses.php
My understanding is the Live Lingua Project is, effectively, a "mirror" of the FSI-Languages.yojik website. Still, it's worth checking out.

Resellers of FSI courses
There are still a number of resellers of PDF/MP3 versions of the FSI and DLI courses on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=FSI+Hebrew&_sacat=0
While there is a remote possibility that one of these vendors has a complete copy of the FSI Hebrew Basic course manual, it is more likely that they simply downloaded their copies from the FSI-Languages.yojik website.

FSI-Languages.yojik website UPDATE?
Should you be successful in your search for the missing page or should you locate a complete copy of the FSI Hebrew Basic course, I suggest that you inform the owner/administrator of the FSI-Languages.yojik website and arrange for an UPDATE of the current file.

Good hunting!

EDITED:
Typos!
2 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:58 pm

As an addendum to my initial reply, here are a couple of additional sources of the FSI Hebrew Basic course:

Audio-Forum
http://www.audioforum.com/search/?lang=1&s=1&q=128
Audio-Forum was once one of a small number of companies which prepared their own reprints/editions of the FSI courses beginning in, I believe, the mid-to-late 1970's. Jeffery Norton Publishers was the parent company and they prepared their own reprints of the physical copies of the FSI courses from materials they had purchased from the U.S. Government. Accordingly, had the copy of the FSI Hebrew Basic course that they purchased from the U.S. Government been complete, it is quite likely their resulting reprint would be as well.

Owing to changing tastes, the development of the Internet and, more importantly, the deployment of the FSI courses on the FSI-Languages.yojik website, a number of years ago, the original Audio-Forum ceased operations. If I remember correctly, a couple of years ago, the current owners of the most recent incarnation of Audio-Forum purchased the remaining inventories of the original company, including its copyrights, its website, et cetera, and set up shop in Seattle, Washington. I have done business with them a couple of times and, on each occasion, I was thoroughly satisfied with the product and the customer service.

iTunes
https://itunes.apple.com/us/audiobook/fsi-language-courses-hebrew-unabridged/id544980982
Everybody is getting into the game of selling the vintage FSI/DLI language courses, even iTunes. Although Apple's iTunes sales arm offers a truck-load of interesting material, the ultimate sources of these treasures are not always evident. In other words, there is no guarantee that the vendor, who may be using iTunes as a window to sell his wares, did not download the files from the FSI-Languages.yojik website. Caveat emptor!

Amazon / Audible / AbeBooks / whatever ...
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=FSI+Hebrew+Basic+course
A few months ago, while searching Amazon's website, I noticed that they, too, had entered the game of selling the vintage FSI/DLI language courses. Same caveat for iTunes! Nevertheless, there is presently a physical copy of the course manual for the FSI Hebrew Basic course for sale (most likely a reprint).

Bingo!
You could purchase a physical copy of the course manual, scan the missing page, and sent it Ericounet for insertion in the version that is presently on the FSI-Languages.yojik website.
3 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)

Postby cjareck » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:01 pm

Speakeasy wrote:Hello, cjareck. What big eyes you have, grandma!

Hello! I had not only downloaded but printed it some time ago! Now I put every drill into Anki, and because of that I go from page to page, and that is why I found this problem.

Speakeasy wrote:U.S. Government E.R.I.C. website

I contacted them, but I do not expect any success. Maybe this time ;)

Speakeasy wrote:Live Lingua Project website

I assumed that it is simply a copy of yojik, but didn't check. After your answer I checked, and their copy also lacks this page.

Speakeasy wrote:Resellers of FSI courses

This is not an option mainly because of the very low probability of success, comparing to the relatively high costs.

I hope that any of the users simply have a hard copy of the book and will make scan/photo and share it with me. Maybe a little bit naive, but why not. I asked once and received a missing volume of the DLI Arabic Course ;)

Speakeasy wrote:FSI-Languages.yojik website UPDATE?
Should you be successful in your search for the missing page or should you locate a complete copy of the FSI Hebrew Basic course, I suggest that you inform the owner/administrator of the FSI-Languages.yojik website and arrange for an UPDATE of the current file.

If only I will find it and I will receive permission, I will certainly do this, as I did with the aforementioned Arabic volume.

Speakeasy wrote:Good hunting!

Thanks!
0 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:09 pm

Speakeasy wrote:As an addendum to my initial reply, here are a couple of additional sources of the FSI Hebrew Basic course:

Those sources sell the book quite expensive with no guarantee of receiving the missing page. So this still is not an option. Germans use to say that Pole is not a nationality, it is a job ;) So I have Plan B already. I will put the audios that I have to hi Native and ask for translation and script. This should work. For DLI Arabic Sound and Script I had to do the reverse - there are no audios for Lessons 7 and 8 (there are files with that names, but these are other lessons, unfortunately). I am only one exercise away of gathering all the necessary reading for that :)

Nevertheless, I have about two weeks to find a solution to the missing page problem. I will not need it earlier.
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:19 am

I wonder if we can get it via FOIA request? I mean, not all you non-Americans :) I wonder if it counts as a "record". I'd think so. I'm not against FOIA-ing page 272 of Hebrew basic.
3 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:35 am

Ani wrote:I wonder if we can get it via FOIA request? ...
This might actually work!
FOIA.PNG
However, with a view to "focusing their attention" on the request, I propose that the FOIA be accompanied by a Class Action Suit asserting that, as a direct effect of the denial of access to this information, irreversible psychological trauma has been incurred by the entire membership of the LLORG and the HTLAL. We could settle out of court for a few million $US each.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:07 am

That's a great idea. We can use the Equal Justice Act to pay for our suit... I've definitely suffered greatly without page 272...

cjareck wrote:.

If you want to double check that there are no other pages missing I'll submit the FOIA request. No guarantees about how long it will take, although they should at least answer in 20 days.
Even if the time line doesn't work for you, it'd be nice to correct the publicly available copies for the rest of the world.
2 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:41 am

Ani wrote:If you want to double check that there are no other pages missing I'll submit the FOIA request.

Of course I will check the pdf and let you know asap about the missing pages.
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:08 am

Ani wrote:That's a great idea. We can use the Equal Justice Act to pay for our suit... I've definitely suffered greatly without page 272...

cjareck wrote:.

If you want to double check that there are no other pages missing I'll submit the FOIA request. No guarantees about how long it will take, although they should at least answer in 20 days.
Even if the time line doesn't work for you, it'd be nice to correct the publicly available copies for the rest of the world.

Wow! If that works, maybe it could be used to get all the other missing courses and bits of courses. There are a number of courses that are missing some tapes, have some very poor quality audio, are missing books or are perhaps just missing all together.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”