Question about a word in Māori

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
LeilanisKeeper
Languages: Hawaiian
Māori
Spanish
German
Japanese

Question about a word in Māori

Postby LeilanisKeeper » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:53 am

The Māori word "pākoro" is defined in this way on http://maoridictionary.co.nz:

1. (noun) storing place (for potatoes, etc.), small fenced enclosure, pigsty.

Ka riro taua whare hei kītini mahinga kai, muri iho ka noho hei pākoro parareka, paukena hoki (TP 10/1905:10). / That building was used as a kitchen to prepare food, and later it became a storehouse for potatoes and pumpkins.

I have found some other resources that give slightly different or even significantly different definitions (one definition I found translates pākoro to mean "pigsty", for example) so I'm trying to clarify the meaning here, and I want to know if pākoro can be used to describe containers for storage, such as, tumblers and also coolers. I need to know this for a project I'm working on.

Hoping someone who speaks Māori may be able to help me.
0 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Re: Question about a word in Māori

Postby Teango » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:41 am

E komo mai, e LeilanisKeeper!

Sadly I'm not a Māori speaker, but I'm pretty sure I've heard the word pākoro being used to refer to a "shed" before.

It's interesting that you found "pigsty" among the translations in Māori, as (although it can mean so many things) is more often than not used to refer to a fenced or walled enclosure in Hawaiian (e.g. yard). And it may simply be an amusing coincidence, but I've also heard Hawaiian farmers call out "Kolo kolo kolo!" to livestock when it's feeding time...maybe I'm just reaching here though. :)
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”