Need your opinion on my accent

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Platypus
Languages: French (native), English B2

Need your opinion on my accent

Postby Platypus » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:18 pm

Hello everyone since I'm not a native speakers I'm worried about my accent/prononciation on my songs
Could you give me an honest feedback?
Thanks a lot

https://soundcloud.com/user-508298144/nightlights

https://soundcloud.com/user-508298144/still-breathing
0 x

kulaputra
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Kannada (semi-native, illiterate), Spanish (~C1), Hindi (A2 speech, B1 comprehension), French (A1 speech, A2 listening, >=B1 reading), Mandarin Chinese (~A1)

Re: Need your opinion on my accent

Postby kulaputra » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:56 pm

Songs are not a good medium for assessing accent quality. That being said: I think your biggest issue is with the pronunciation of English's two dental fricatives, both usually represented by "th," e.g. "math" or "than." If you fix that I would probably assume you spoke some regional accent of the United Kingdom rather then that you were a non-native speaker.
0 x
Iha śāriputra: rūpaṃ śūnyatā śūnyataiva rūpaṃ; rūpān na pṛthak śūnyatā śunyatāyā na pṛthag rūpaṃ; yad rūpaṃ sā śūnyatā; ya śūnyatā tad rūpaṃ.

--Heart Sutra

Please correct any of my non-native languages, if needed!

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:04 am

I don't have any linguistic background or musical background so sorry if this isn't precise:

1. I agree something is going on with the 'th' sound that doesn't sound quite right.
2. Parts of the songs sound like they could be song by a native speaker with some kind of regional accent (or trying to hide some regional accent).
3. Parts of the songs sound a little -- syrupy. I don't mean the songs, I mean the phraseology. Like there's some chorus that says something "I'm just a stupid boy who don't know what he ------- want". I think even if a native speaker chose to use "don't" as poetic license, they would still belt out WANTZZZZ. I'm missing all those explosive consonants.

I don't how important it is to have a perfect accent to sing a song in English? Falco did all right, as did Maurice Chevalier. Native speakers with regional accents make big names for themselves (Dolores O'Riordan, Peter Garrett of Midnight Oil from a while back). I find Laura Pausini quite irritating when she sings in English because it's 100% accent-free and it sounds like it comes from No Place. You might be better off singing boldly with an accent and making that your trademark (I don't know anything about the musical industry either).
1 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

kulaputra
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Kannada (semi-native, illiterate), Spanish (~C1), Hindi (A2 speech, B1 comprehension), French (A1 speech, A2 listening, >=B1 reading), Mandarin Chinese (~A1)

Postby kulaputra » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:59 pm

"Accent free" isn't a thing, language is accent and accent is language.
0 x
Iha śāriputra: rūpaṃ śūnyatā śūnyataiva rūpaṃ; rūpān na pṛthak śūnyatā śunyatāyā na pṛthag rūpaṃ; yad rūpaṃ sā śūnyatā; ya śūnyatā tad rūpaṃ.

--Heart Sutra

Please correct any of my non-native languages, if needed!

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:40 pm

kulaputra wrote:"Accent free" isn't a thing, language is accent and accent is language.

The sun also doesn't rise. It has to do with the rotation of the earth and the "rising" is an illusion. Maybe you can start correcting people when they say "I saw the sun rise" because they desperately need your help too.
6 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

Platypus
Languages: French (native), English B2

Postby Platypus » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:40 am

Thanks a lot you guys !
I've worked on it and tried to fix all my pronunciation mistakes !
I've released another song in a better english accent (I think so ?)

https://soundcloud.com/user-508298144/y ... ll-a-ghost

If you could let me know if i'm on the right path ! :)

Thanks again
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”