Taking naps to improve studying efficiency

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
William Camden
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (fluent), Turkish (fluent), Russian (fluent), French (semi-fluent), Spanish (semi-fluent), am studying Polish, have some knowledge of it, also studying modern Greek, basic knowledge of Arabic (mostly MSA, some exposure to colloquial dialects), basic knowledge of Latin and Italian, beginner in Scottish Gaelic.

Re: Taking naps to improve studying efficiency

Postby William Camden » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:46 pm

This isn't related to studying efficiency, but I occasionally doze off and probably do not fall asleep entirely because I can actually hear myself snoring, at which point I promptly wake up. I have been told I am quite a loud snorer which I can believe because of incidents like that. Most recently this happened when I was a car passenger.
1 x
: 4321 / 4321Greek Memrise

zatris
Yellow Belt
Languages: Portuguese (native), English (?), Latin (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 81&p=92296

Postby zatris » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:37 pm

Anectodal evidence etc., but in days when I'm feeling sleepy/mentally tired (whether because of having slept badly or any other reason), a 20-minute nap helps extremely. No need for polyphasic sleep or anything fancy, just a nap, and I'm a new man.

When I do this often - I mean, when I take a nap every day for a reasonable period of time - there's a good, unexpected side effect: I fall asleep much faster than usual after going to bed at night. It seems my brain trains itself to do it quickly because of the short time alloted, and that transfers to regular sleep time.
0 x
Corrections are welcome.

I have the patience of an ox. (Gustave Doré)

Peluche
Orange Belt

Postby Peluche » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:36 am

I am a bit confused by your post Cavesa, you are feeling tired after sleeping because you have vivid dreams?
Or are you not being able to sleep enough?
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”