Anki multiple cardtypes at once

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Anki multiple cardtypes at once

Postby Ccaesar » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Hello everyone
I have been trying to create my own card types including a "recall, write, and cloze" phase". However I have managed to get all but the "writing the answer" card type to work. Do you have any ideas why?
This is what's on them:
first card is this:
front:
{{la parola}}

{{audio#1}}

Back:
{{traduzione}}
<hr id=answer>

2nd card is
front:
Scrivere la parola
<br>
{{type:la parola}}

back:
{{FrontSide}}
{{la parola}}

3rd:
should be reversed from the first card.
For some reason I can't make it create the 2nd type of card :S
0 x
Hiragana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Katakana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Kanji : 50 / 2000
Assimil Japanese with Ease : 27 / 100

Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Re: Anki multiple cardtypes at once

Postby Ccaesar » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:28 pm

Hello again everyone, I hope you might be able to assist me. :?:
I wish to make a deck where creating one card creates multiple to save time.

I.e.
I want the word let's say "cane" and the context on card one. - recognition
I want a field where I add the word and article, (I found out how to add media easily, but not how to make it copy it to other cards) This should be a recognise card

Card 2 should be the context without the word (cloze card). - recall

Card three should be type the example sentence or word (since I think actually typing it will make it an active part of my vocabulary). - produce

I am sking for your help, since I have little to no experience with programming/coding, and have googled several times. I found some of the deck types on fluent forever, but they are not exactly what I want (I am going to use their Japanese deck), but for my European languages I want it a bit different. Do any of you have any advice?

Thank you for reading! :) :D
0 x

Philipp
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N); English (what you see); Spanish, Norwegian, French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8347

Postby Philipp » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:16 pm

I‘m not sure if I understand your question but you can create multiples cards by defining different card types. (Tools -> Manage Note Types -> select Note Type you‘re using for deck -> cards).

Anki takes these Card Types (like a pattern) to make your cards. A set of information is called a Note in Anki and a single piece of information a Field. For example, you want a deck with a word, a translation and a picture. You create a Note Type with three Fields for these items. Then you can create multiple Card Types. One that shows you the word on the front, one that shows you the picture on the front, etc.
0 x
Corrections are welcome!

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:55 pm

1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:20 pm

Thank you very much, that looks like something!

:D :D :D
1 x

jonm
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv.)
Bangla (int.)
French (passive)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9402

Postby jonm » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:00 am

Hi Ccaesar, I wrote a response and only then noticed that this thread is two weeks old. You may have already figured everything out, but I'll post this anyway, just in case it's still helpful (or in case someone with similar questions finds this thread in the future).

First, two quick things...

In the code for the "type in the answer" card, you want the name of the field that contains what you'll type. So let's say you have a field named "Word", and in that field you're putting things like "la parola" and "il cane". The code for that would be {{type:Word}} on both the front and back of the card.

And for audio, you also want the name of the field. So let's say the field that contains the sound file is called "Audio". You would put {{Audio}} anywhere you want the sound file to play. You can include it on multiple cards, front or back or both.

And then you mentioned wanting to make a note type that would generate multiple cards, one of which would be a cloze card. There's kind of a catch-22 here: I'm pretty sure the "Cloze" note type that comes with Anki doesn't let you to make multiple cards. And note types that do let you make multiple cards (basically any other note type, including ones you create yourself) won't let you use Anki's cloze function. However, there are ways you can work around this.

To do what you described, you could create a new note type that generates three cards.

For the cloze card, you could more or less replicate the cloze function using two fields. One field would be the complete example sentence: for example, "Il cane ha inseguito il gatto". And the other field would be the same example sentence, this time with the word you're learning blanked out: "_____ ha inseguito il gatto". When adding a new note, you would paste your example sentence into both fields, and then in the second field, since you can't use Anki's cloze function, you would make your own blank with underscores.

The front of the cloze card would have the blanked-out sentence—{{Blank Sentence}} or whatever you decide to name that field—and the back would have the full sentence.

There is one situation where the cloze card type that comes with Anki really makes things easy, and that's if you want multiple cloze items in the same sentence: for example, if you wanted to practice both "il cane" and "il gatto" in "Il cane ha inseguito il gatto".

I don't know it that would be useful for you, but it's possible to make your note type do that as well, if you don't mind having a lot of fields and a lot of cards. For each additional cloze item, you would need an additional blank sentence field (containing "Il cane ha inseguito _____", for example) and an additional card showing that blank sentence on the front. And you only want Anki to actually generate those additional cards when they're needed for additional cloze items (for a sentence with two cloze items, make two cloze cards, but for a sentence with one cloze item, only make one). For that, you can use something called conditional formatting. If you had a field called "Blank Sentence 2", you would have a corresponding card with this on the front:

{{#Blank Sentence 2}}
{{Blank Sentence 2}}
{{/Blank Sentence 2}}

That tells Anki to show what's contained in the field "Blank Sentence 2", but only if that field is not empty. If the field is empty, then Anki won't generate this additional card (it knows not to generate a card if the front of the card would be empty).

Anyway, the long and short of it is, you can definitely do what you described. Hope that's helpful, or that you were already able to figure out a solution!
2 x

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:45 pm

Hello trippingly and thank you for a very informative and useful reply! Sorry for not responding earlier, but for some reason I didn't get a notification about your post
trippingly wrote:Hi Ccaesar, I wrote a response and only then noticed that this thread is two weeks old. You may have already figured everything out, but I'll post this anyway, just in case it's still helpful (or in case someone with similar questions finds this thread in the future).

First, two quick things...

In the code for the "type in the answer" card, you want the name of the field that contains what you'll type. So let's say you have a field named "Word", and in that field you're putting things like "la parola" and "il cane". The code for that would be {{type:Word}} on both the front and back of the card.

And for audio, you also want the name of the field. So let's say the field that contains the sound file is called "Audio". You would put {{Audio}} anywhere you want the sound file to play. You can include it on multiple cards, front or back or both.

And then you mentioned wanting to make a note type that would generate multiple cards, one of which would be a cloze card. There's kind of a catch-22 here: I'm pretty sure the "Cloze" note type that comes with Anki doesn't let you to make multiple cards. And note types that do let you make multiple cards (basically any other note type, including ones you create yourself) won't let you use Anki's cloze function. However, there are ways you can work around this.

To do what you described, you could create a new note type that generates three cards.

For the cloze card, you could more or less replicate the cloze function using two fields. One field would be the complete example sentence: for example, "Il cane ha inseguito il gatto". And the other field would be the same example sentence, this time with the word you're learning blanked out: "_____ ha inseguito il gatto". When adding a new note, you would paste your example sentence into both fields, and then in the second field, since you can't use Anki's cloze function, you would make your own blank with underscores.

The front of the cloze card would have the blanked-out sentence—{{Blank Sentence}} or whatever you decide to name that field—and the back would have the full sentence.

There is one situation where the cloze card type that comes with Anki really makes things easy, and that's if you want multiple cloze items in the same sentence: for example, if you wanted to practice both "il cane" and "il gatto" in "Il cane ha inseguito il gatto".

I don't know it that would be useful for you, but it's possible to make your note type do that as well, if you don't mind having a lot of fields and a lot of cards. For each additional cloze item, you would need an additional blank sentence field (containing "Il cane ha inseguito _____", for example) and an additional card showing that blank sentence on the front. And you only want Anki to actually generate those additional cards when they're needed for additional cloze items (for a sentence with two cloze items, make two cloze cards, but for a sentence with one cloze item, only make one). For that, you can use something called conditional formatting. If you had a field called "Blank Sentence 2", you would have a corresponding card with this on the front:

{{#Blank Sentence 2}}
{{Blank Sentence 2}}
{{/Blank Sentence 2}}

That tells Anki to show what's contained in the field "Blank Sentence 2", but only if that field is not empty. If the field is empty, then Anki won't generate this additional card (it knows not to generate a card if the front of the card would be empty).

Anyway, the long and short of it is, you can definitely do what you described. Hope that's helpful, or that you were already able to figure out a solution!
1 x

jonm
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv.)
Bangla (int.)
French (passive)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9402

Postby jonm » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:02 pm

Ccaesar wrote:Hello trippingly and thank you for a very informative and useful reply! Sorry for not responding earlier, but for some reason I didn't get a notification about your post

Your response is actually pretty timely! My post only went up today (I posted it yesterday when I first came across this thread, and I think it had be approved before showing up). Anyway, glad it was helpful! I've been practicing with Anki cards that are pretty similar to what you described, so I've been figuring out some of the same features. Happy to help with anything if you're still making changes to your Anki setup.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”