"will be very soon" or "will very soon be"

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
joao.cfaria
Languages: Portuguese (Native)
English (B2)
Spanish (B2)

"will be very soon" or "will very soon be"

Postby joao.cfaria » Tue May 29, 2018 1:16 pm

Heys guys,

Can you please help me to find the correct way to express an idea like this one?

"they will be very soon an active member" or "they will very soon be an active member".

Thank you!
0 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Re: "will be very soon" or "will very soon be"

Postby Systematiker » Tue May 29, 2018 2:49 pm

They’re both correct, with different nuance. I’d say the first emphasizes the speed of the change, the second emphasizes the change in status.
1 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Wed May 30, 2018 9:06 am

joao.cfaria wrote:Heys guys,

Can you please help me to find the correct way to express an idea like this one?

"they will be very soon an active member" or "they will very soon be an active member".

Thank you!

The first one sounds quite unnatural to me, and the sort of thing someone whose first language is a Romance language would say. ;-)

What's happening here:
In Romance languages, adverbs tend to be straight after the verb and before the object, which why they're called adverbs. In English, our adverbs tend to be at the end of sentence and modify the whole sentence. This gives us another option "they will be an active member very soon".
However, we have a special case in English: adverbs of time and frequency go between the two verbs (they will soon be) or before the verb if there is only one (I always eat breakfast before work) (unless the verb is "be", which it comes after -- I am always late).

If this isn't clear, let me know and I'll write something longer to explain. But for now, I'm heading to the office.
2 x

Dylan95
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Currently Studying
Russian C1
Uzbek B1
Ukrainian B1~

Previously Studied and mostly forgotten
French
Italian
Latin

Postby Dylan95 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:18 pm

Personally I would say "they will be an active member very soon." This is the only variant that doesn't sound awkward to me.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”