Weekly allocation of hours

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Shapebuster
Languages: English (N) German (A2) Mandarin Chinese (A2)

Weekly allocation of hours

Postby Shapebuster » Tue May 29, 2018 10:09 am

Hi guys

So I'm aiming to go to Munich next year (July 2019) to study on exchange. I'd consider myself about A2 in German at the moment. My speaking is crap because i haven't practiced. My writing and listening is good thought.

Anyway. I've got a year and I want to get to B1 by October 2019. I'll probably do 2 months of intensive german courses from August - October 2019.

But for now, IF i allocate 14hrs per week to german (2hrs per day in the morning) what is the best allocation of this time, i.e. how many hours should I allocate to speaking, reading and writing? (I didn't include listening in this because I always listen to german content when i'm not doing anything important, for example, while driving or at work.

Also if anyone can suggest good study resources and dictate how long should be spent on them. So for example, I'm using Assimil at the moment and for that I could say : Assimil for the first 3 months, then (insert text) for the next 2 months etc etc.

Thank you!
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: Weekly allocation of hours

Postby Ani » Tue May 29, 2018 11:14 pm

This is super individual. As long as you stick with it, you should be fine. A2-> B1 in a year is pretty reasonable even without the intensive program. Just being consistent is the most important.

Maybe aim for 1-2 hours a week of speaking with exchanges or italki lessons, and fill in the rest however suits you?
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”