Learning Related Languages - too soon for Russian?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Re: Learning Related Languages - too soon for Russian?

Postby reineke » Sun May 27, 2018 1:54 pm

drp9341 wrote:
reineke wrote:It's OK to ask. You've also brought up some interesting issues. Languagers will have all kinds of opinions on this matter. I agree that "pronunciation is important". However, the auditory memory is slow and your trip is around the corner.

I would wait until the Polish exam is over. Belarus is not far from Poland. If this exam is something you can easily take and retake you can do whatever you like.

Re: "the mental wall"
https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 259#p53259

I read some of the study you linked to. It's interesting. I wonder if something similar woud occur if I would start to progress in Russian even though I am using Polish frequently.

The more you stuff up there the more crowded it gets. Language co-activation will cause disfluencies. Inhibitory skills vary among individuals. If you're satisfied with your Romance languages don't worry about Russian.
1 x

drp9341
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: English (US)
C1/C2: Spanish, Italian
B2+: Portuguese
B2: French, Polish
A1: Russian, German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=5978

Re: Learning Related Languages - too soon for Russian?

Postby drp9341 » Mon May 28, 2018 2:02 pm

Axon wrote:
I've never learned a language as fast and as well as you have, but one thing is that I do believe in the importance of time. Even though your level in Polish is already quite high, I'm betting that there will be interference just because it's only been about a year since you started learning it.

I 100% agree with you. I remember back towards the end of June 2011, I talking with an uncle of mine, who is one of the smartest people I've met. We were at big family party and I had just finished a really long conversation in Italian with an old aunt and uncle of mine I hadn't seen in a while.

I had started seriously studying Spanish in January of 2011, so it had been about 6 months by then. I was "fluent" in Spanish, however I remember telling him, "When I hear Italian, it just sounds like someone is talking to me, there's nothing exotic about it unless the person has an exotic accent I'm not used to. When someone talks to me in Spanish, though, I understand them no problem, (unless they're from the Caribbean,) but it sounds like a foreign language to me. It's the same as the difference between someone speaking to me in with Bronx or 'TV' accent, and someone speaking in an Australian accent."

To give you an example, last Thursday I stopped studying Polish and was working on other languages. I of course used it for basic things, but I wasn't doing anything challenging or that required effort. I just got back from getting a haircut, and my Polish was horrendous. I tried to ask the my barber about the right way to use shampoo, and it was just a mess. Completely.

I think it takes like 3 years for a language to get cemented into my brain. Even then, I can still get much worse if I take time off.

However, if I maintain a language at a strong "B2/C1 level" (I don't know what this level would be, but it's what the average person would consider "fluency" or to sum it up the level where...
1) It's just easy.
2) You make minimal mistakes
3) Literature for adults might still be hard, but interacting with people on forums / social media is easy.
4) you can actually hear all the words when you listen to the language, not just "understand everything" because you've gotten really skilled at deciphering what people meaning when you only heard 60% of what they said.)

If I can maintain a language at this level for 2 years, then I don't think I will ever forget it so much that I can't speak it; it just get's rusty.
If I reach this point and stay at this level for 3 months, then ignore that language for a year, then I will get worse. I need to (at least) maintain it at that level for 2 years for me to not fear that it will ever be forgotten.
3 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”