FSI Italian - FAST, Headstart or Programmatic

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak, Ukrainian
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Re: FSI Italian - FAST, Headstart or Programmatic

Postby Chung » Fri May 25, 2018 3:11 pm

Cavesa wrote:
reineke wrote:
Cavesa wrote:Sure, Italian has fewer high quality free resources and fewer English based resources than the FIGS. No wonder.

The "I" in FIGS does not stand for Icelandic.

Yeah, I meant to write "the rest of the FIGS", sorry :-D

But wouldn't it be fun, if it stood for Icelandic? Or Inuktikut!

And here I was thinking all along that the "I" stood for Inari Saami... :oops:
1 x

Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; ita & fra B2+, ell & deu B2-, ísl B1 (spa & swe A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Postby Neurotip » Fri May 25, 2018 7:23 pm

Chung wrote:
Cavesa wrote:
reineke wrote:
Cavesa wrote:Sure, Italian has fewer high quality free resources and fewer English based resources than the FIGS. No wonder.

The "I" in FIGS does not stand for Icelandic.

Yeah, I meant to write "the rest of the FIGS", sorry :-D

But wouldn't it be fun, if it stood for Icelandic? Or Inuktikut!

And here I was thinking all along that the "I" stood for Inari Saami... :oops:

Eet eez for Inglish no?
2 x
Corrections welcome here

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: Taking a siesta from this site for the rest of 2024.

Postby lavengro » Mon May 28, 2018 1:22 am

Grazie a tutti! Much appreciated, and super helpful!

Cavesa, if it were convenient for you to dig up the names of material you particularly liked, that would be awesome, but only if not too much trouble. Reineke, the site you reference looks really good for material which I find is particularly useful for me (straightforward, level-appropriate text with clear, slow audio), thanks.

I have decided to take a quick run through the DLI Headstart material, as tourist-oriented material is what I desperately need in the super near future (pending vacation in Italy for the first time), and then will buckle down to a more systematic approach on my return (if I safely survive the driving there in our rental car - colleagues here are betting on either side of that occurring).

Grazie ancora!
0 x
This signature space now dedicated to Vancouver's best - but least known - two person female power rock band:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbymC_M1AY, ,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Av4S6u83a0

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:13 am

Copied from the “Has anyone completed FSI?” discussion thread:
Lysander wrote: … Seems like a good time for a "definitive ranking of all FSI courses ever" thread, haha. It seems from Speakeasy that we can go ahead and slot in Italian at the very bottom.
Speakeasy wrote: No, that is not quite what I said. There are two legacy FSI Italian courses for which the texts and audio recordings are available. Whereas “FSI Programmed Italian” is amongst the very worst courses that I have ever encountered, the “FSI Italian FAST” is an excellent, comprehensive course which greatly surpasses the scope of the others in the FAST series. Regrettably, when people speak of “FSI Italian”, the reputation of the latter is unjustifiably tarnished by the deservedly bad reputation of the former.

Rather than continue the discussion of FSI Italian in this thread, so that you might have a better idea of the DLI/FSI Italian courses and add your own comments if you so wish, I will reopen the discussion thread “FSI Italian - FAST, Headstart or Programmatic” of May, 2018, which you will find in the Practical Questions and Advice sub-forum.

Lysander, my comments on DLI/FSI Italian are located on page 1 of this thread. ;)

EDITED:
Formatting.
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”