How to include phrases and expressions in my daily speaking?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
MarianoM
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (Native), English (Advanced) German (Beginner)

How to include phrases and expressions in my daily speaking?

Postby MarianoM » Sat May 19, 2018 12:15 pm

I have a list of phrases and expressions that I took from movies, speeches, etc. And I have been trying to include them in my vocabulary and start using them but despite the fact that I understand them and I have even memorized them, I simply don't use them when I am speaking English. I don't know what else to do in order to make them part of my active vocabulary.

Any idea about how to adopt them? Below I leave you some examples:

No wonder
Right off the bat
Let alone
If you will
On top of that
How come you (didn't know that)
Never mind
Etc.
0 x

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Re: How to include phrases and expressions in my daily speaking?

Postby NoManches » Sat May 19, 2018 12:57 pm

In Spanish during my online language exchanges I would write terms down on a "sticky note" and put it on my computer. I would try really hard to remember to look at my phrases and try to use them during the conversation.

In addition to this, I'd recommend dedicating an entire day to one of those expressions. Make it your goal that day to use one expression as often as you can (without sounding like a crazy person). This was helpful for me in Spanish because I would get overwhelmed with lists of words and would end up only using a few words from my list anyway. Dedicating one day to a word can get it added to your active vocabulary pretty easily.
5 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

Hank
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate), Welsh (studying)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1833

Re: How to include phrases and expressions in my daily speaking?

Postby Hank » Sun May 20, 2018 1:46 pm

What I do is come up with a few sentences for each expression and then actively look for opportunities to use them.

As an example, I come up with the sentence: It's no wonder that didn't work. Later on maybe I'm trying to fix something and it isn't going well. I can say "It's no wonder that didn't work. I was using the wrong tool." Eventually it becomes more natural and you can use the expression in more contexts. The big point is actively looking for opportunities to use the expression.

I also like to use this method with funny or silly phrases that I hear. It's a good way to work them into conversations.

My wife: I finally finished that book I was reading.
Me: Now you're on the trolley!

It's silly and nobody actually uses that expression, but it's funny. Well...nobody uses that expression except me! :lol:
1 x
Future travel plans:
2020: Cruise to Dominican Republic, Turks and Caicos, Bahamas

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”