Does anyone have any experience making Goldendict dictionaries?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
indeclinable
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), German (C1), Latin (C1), French (B2), Ancient Greek (B1), Italian (A2).

Want to study: Japanese & Russian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8803

Re: Does anyone have any experience making Goldendict dictionaries?

Postby indeclinable » Tue May 15, 2018 6:35 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll keep you guys updated on the results. Two questions though, will it be an issue when searching if the lemma have macrons?

Say

Code: Select all

ā
<p><b>6</b>.34 v.<a  href="bword://ab" >ab</a></p>

ab|ā
<p><i>prp+abl</i> <b>5</b>.48; <b>6</b>.34,62; <b>12</b>.125; <b>13</b>.13,36,40; <b>16</b>.51; <b>33</b>.23</p>

Or in the case of Latin adjectives when the inflections are almost always "us-a-um", will it always look for the first inflection (or should I add them as a definition)?

abditus|-a-um
<p><b>52</b>.154</p>

vs

abditus
<p>-a-um, <b>52</b>.154</p>
0 x
Omnis lingua usu potius discitur quam praeceptis, id est audiendo, legendo, relegendo, imitationem manu et lingua temptando quam creberrime. – Iohannes Amos Comenius

Doitsujin
Green Belt
Languages: German (N)

Re: Does anyone have any experience making Goldendict dictionaries?

Postby Doitsujin » Tue May 15, 2018 7:41 pm

indeclinable wrote:Thanks for the info. I'll keep you guys updated on the results. Two questions though, will it be an issue when searching if the lemma have macrons?
StarDict doesn't have a built-in parser. You'll have to add all variants as inflections. For example:

amīcus|amicus|amīcī|amici
<p>friend</p>

indeclinable wrote:Or in the case of Latin adjectives when the inflections are almost always "us-a-um", will it always look for the first inflection (or should I add them as a definition)?

If you want a search for abdita to display the entry for abditus, you'll have to add all inflections. For example:

abditus|abdita|abditum
<p>hidden, concealed, secret</p><p>removed, set aside, banished</p>

Of course, you could also add -a-um to the definition.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”