Speaking Feedback

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; ita & fra B2+, ell & deu B2-, ísl B1 (spa & swe A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Re: Speaking Feedback

Postby Neurotip » Thu May 10, 2018 9:37 pm

OK, a few more comments having listened to the 'English and German' recording:
'J' as in 'objective' has the same articulation as 'ch', but voiced. Yours comes out either as in 'pleaSure' or as 'ch'.
'I don't only want to...' >> 'I don't just want to'
'Word' rhymes with 'bird' or 'heard', not with 'ward'. I appreciate this isn't obvious :)
The 'boot' vowel is an odd sound in English, often a diphthong starting from a more central vowel, around 'foot' or even schwa. Yours is still a very pure [u:].

You do realise that knowing every single word of the language is not a realistic goal even for a native speaker who has studied the language professionally their whole life? :)
1 x
Corrections welcome here

MarianoM
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (Native), English (Advanced) German (Beginner)

Postby MarianoM » Sat May 12, 2018 12:34 pm

Neurotip wrote: You do realise that knowing every single word of the language is not a realistic goal even for a native speaker who has studied the language professionally their whole life? :)

Yes I know :D

I meant every single "relevant" or even "relatively relevant" word, because I realize that despite the fact I'm fluent in English, there are a lot of important words that I don't know. Let me give some examples of words that I have learnt recently:

Irksome
Shunt
Cajole
Avow
Rosemary
Dill

Thanks for all!
1 x

MarianoM
White Belt

Postby MarianoM » Sat May 19, 2018 12:07 pm

Hi people! Here I have a new audio that I just recorded, if someone wants to give me his/her opinion, feedback or corrections, It will be very helpful for me.

I'm working particularly on my pronunciation and accent, although I'm sure there are some grammar mistakes too.

https://soundcloud.com/user-848291766/h ... nized-part

Thanks!

Mariano
0 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Sat May 19, 2018 3:49 pm

MarianoM wrote:I'm working particularly on my pronunciation and accent

No offense, but there seem to be many issues with this recording that have already been brought up in previous recordings. How exactly are working on your pronunciation? Are you making sure you can pronounce all the individual sounds correctly? Are you repeating native sentences? You didn't leave a script again, but it might be useful for you to have someone here record it in native English.
0 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

MarianoM
White Belt

Postby MarianoM » Sat May 19, 2018 4:05 pm

leosmith wrote:
MarianoM wrote:I'm working particularly on my pronunciation and accent

No offense, but there seem to be many issues with this recording that have already been brought up in previous recordings. How exactly are working on your pronunciation? Are you making sure you can pronounce all the individual sounds correctly? Are you repeating native sentences? You didn't leave a script again, but it might be useful for you to have someone here record it in native English.

Well, yes. I'm repeating native sentences and practicing each sound individually. But the problem arises when I have to speak. I think it requires practice and time to change some habits. Some members have already pointed out my mistakes, but I keep uploading the audios in case other mistakes appear or just to hear other points of view, while I try to improve what I already know I have to improve.

And, if I keep making the same pronunciation mistakes, I would also like to know it, because it helps me to evaluate if my exercises are helping me or not.

Thanks.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”