Spanish Learning - Next step

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
BOLIO
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish Advanced
Mandarin- Beginner

Re: Spanish Learning - Next step

Postby BOLIO » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:32 pm

James29 wrote:
If your long term Spanish goal is to have advanced Spanish skills you should do FSI. It is not "fun" but it is well worth it. It is a necessary step in the most efficient journey to advanced Spanish.

This Xs 1000.

My next language will be one of Portuguese, Russian or French. Either way, I will do all my heavy lifting with FSI/ DLI courses. I hear DLI Portuguese is better than FSI basic Spanish and if so, it must be one incredible course.

Es difícil pero vale la pena.

BOLIO
3 x
Reminder to myself: Perfection is useless and harmful. Just keep moving forward.

harikishore
White Belt
Languages: Tamil (N)
Telugu (N)
English (Fluent)
Spanish (Beginner)

Postby harikishore » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:07 pm

@lavengro & @James29
Thank you for the showing the confidence in the usefulness of FSI Basic Spanish. I'm doing a review of the other course. I'll start FSI as soon as I'm done with it (Probably end of this month). Just one last question about FSI Basic Spanish - I read in the other thread (FSI German: Too Old) that FSI German had too old vocabulary etc. Does Spanish course suffer from the same?

@Brun Ugle
I think I should do the same too. After a couple of months of FSI, I should start watching Spanish TV shows and pick up El Principito and accumulate vocabulary.
0 x

James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Postby James29 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:52 pm

harikishore wrote:@lavengro & @James29
Thank you for the showing the confidence in the usefulness of FSI Basic Spanish. I'm doing a review of the other course. I'll start FSI as soon as I'm done with it (Probably end of this month). Just one last question about FSI Basic Spanish - I read in the other thread (FSI German: Too Old) that FSI German had too old vocabulary etc. Does Spanish course suffer from the same?

@Brun Ugle
I think I should do the same too. After a couple of months of FSI, I should start watching Spanish TV shows and pick up El Principito and accumulate vocabulary.

The Spanish in FSI is totally fine. The "story line" is a bit dumb but the program and content are still first rate.
2 x

harikishore
White Belt
Languages: Tamil (N)
Telugu (N)
English (Fluent)
Spanish (Beginner)

Postby harikishore » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:00 pm

James29 wrote:The Spanish in FSI is totally fine. The "story line" is a bit dumb but the program and content are still first rate.

Thank you.
0 x

philip
Languages: English (N)

Postby philip » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:16 am

Have you tried Justlearn?
0 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:31 pm

philip wrote:Have you tried Justlearn?
The OP is about FSI. Stay on topic, please.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Gordafarin2
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Current focus: Mandarin (A2), Italian (A2)
Maintaining: Persian (B2), Esperanto (B2), Spanish (rusty B1-2)
Dabbled: ASL, French
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17156

Postby Gordafarin2 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:08 am

MorkTheFiddle wrote:
philip wrote:Have you tried Justlearn?
The OP is about FSI. Stay on topic, please.

The OP didn't mention FSI at all, they were just looking for suggestions for next steps after finishing a course... I don't know anything about JustLearn but it looks like a tutoring service; tutoring is certainly a viable suggestion for a next step in the OP's learning journey.

That being said, the OP is from 3 years ago, so hopefully OP has managed to progress past El Principito by now :)
4 x
Persian... 10 novels: 4 / 10

Mandarin...
4000 words: 4000 / 4000 / 2000 characters: 1640 / 2000

she/her

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:49 pm

Philip just joined LLORG and that was his first post. It looked more like unsolicited advertising to me and had little or nothing specific to say about Spanish. Throwing in the age of the OP adds to the suspicion. Perhaps Philip can join in here and give their own defense.

Edited one time to correct spelling.
4 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Pikaia
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (a bit), French (a bit less)

Postby Pikaia » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:43 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:Philip just joined LLORG and that was his first post. It looked more like unsolicited advertising to me and had little or nothing specific to say about Spanish.

Agreed. Coincidentally, a quick search tells me the CEO of the company in question is also named Philip. :roll:
6 x

munyag
Yellow Belt
Languages: Shona (N), Spanish (Beginner), French (Beginner)

Postby munyag » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:23 am

harikishore wrote:
James29 wrote:The Spanish in FSI is totally fine. The "story line" is a bit dumb but the program and content are still first rate.

Thank you.

Hi Harikishore

Did you finish FSI?How is your Spanish now?
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”