A listening question about volume, headphones, background noise, etc

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: A listening question about volume, headphones, background noise, etc

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:21 pm

I remember topics about listening to low volume audio, in heavy traffic, sped up audio etc. I know that I've mentioned listening to foreign language audio on my MP3 player while taking walks in the town (including the noise from the cars), and Iversen has said that teenagers on a bus are the most difficult to understand. Whether in the same thread or not, I don't know. I haven't found any of them.

Does this ring a bell?
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Postby NoManches » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:56 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:I remember topics about listening to low volume audio, in heavy traffic, sped up audio etc. I know that I've mentioned listening to foreign language audio on my MP3 player while taking walks in the town (including the noise from the cars), and Iversen has said that teenagers on a bus are the most difficult to understand. Whether in the same thread or not, I don't know. I haven't found any of them.

Does this ring a bell?

No me suena.... It's not ringing a bell.

I think the author of that thread had the idea of actually distorting audio to make it harder to listen to...or maybe somebody had suggested doing that using the program Audacity or something . I'll have to do some more searching, if there is more discussion on it I'd like to check out what you and Iversen had to say as well. Thanks!
0 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:20 pm

Well,I could just say it again: teenagers on a bus are among the most difficult ones to understand because their speech tend to consist of grunts and farts and snippets of words, uttered more to make their comrades aware that they still exist than to communicate any factual information. But often the problem will solve itself because they are too busy reading stuff on their phones to communicate with people in the same physical space. In that case you only have to contend with the noise from their headphones.

On a more serious level: I am totally against the use of substandard sound while you still have trouble understanding clear and crisp speech. You can understand speech in your native language under dismal conditions because you are able to fill out the holes and make sensible guesses based on years of experience, but if you don't have that background you can just make wild guesses or skip most of things that are said - what's the point in that, except establishing some bad listening habits?
3 x

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Postby NoManches » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:10 am

Found the link!! Actual @coldrainwater found it for me.

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... 5025&PN=18

There are some familiar names in that discussion so it must be a good one. I'll give it a good read in the morning when I'm not so tired.
1 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”