huge anki decks

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Re: huge anki decks

Postby luke » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:53 pm

Cavesa wrote:I've been playing with Anki again, trying to find a way to make it work for me both for languages and my medicine studies.

You will be an amazing medical professional!
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:17 am

Cavesa, I suggest you read the Anki manual. You don't seem to know what functions are available to meet your needs, and don't seem to understand people's explanations fully (partially I know you do). You're quite specific as to what and how much you want, and I don't think you can accomplish that by skipping or just skimming the manual.
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:45 pm

Cavesa, may I make a suggestion?

Your time is short and precious, and you have a mountain of medical terminology and concepts to learn, both in Czech and in French. Do you have time to learn how to be an expert on Anki?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FgUAbin5oFl_rnRiJrUZUpik31IgbucA/view?usp=sharing

Here is my beginning Anki deck for my ASCP exam (medical laboratory certification). It provides a template that you can use, and you can see how I use it. It's like Duolingo, where you type in the answer and you see the correct answer. It's not fancy: I don't know how to time the reappearance of cards. What do I do?

On the bottom where I can chose when to see the card again, I pick "10 minutes". Again, again and again until I'm sick of it that day, then I click "1 day" option. On the next day I click "10 minutes" again and again. I advocate this method because I used it on my microbiology final, and I got 80%, and I crammed. Anki with pictures work.

Other suggestions include purchasing a greens supplement powder, and putting it in smoothies or whatnot. Most are gross, I'm not going to lie, and real food is preferred, but you know how hard it is to eat the amount of vegetables we need. My performance has improved in every aspect because of it. The other suggestion is exercise. I can link the research papers stating that using muscles releases chemicals that enhance brain function, if you want.

I'm praying for you, Cavesa. Put your focus on the bare essentials, and forget about everything else. You can do this.
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:50 am

Cavesa wrote:26 Mar 2018

How many cards? For German, I suppose 5000 of vocabulary cards could serve for a B2 level (as the active vocabulary), and my last opportunity to pass is at the end of this year. Not sure whether this is possible, but I partially know at least 2000 words.
For medicine? I make at least 10 cards per page, one textbook has 400 pages on average, and I need to get through like 20. This looks crazy. Most decks by other students have around 10000 cards, but those people make really long cards I am unable to learn. So, if I make a deck of 30000 cards (an idea), I'll need to have it learnt by the end of January. That's like 300 days, so a 100 new cards a day. I can still succeed, if I get a month of delay, so perhaps 80 would suffice?

How are you doing with these cards, Cavesa?
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:31 am

smallwhite wrote:
Cavesa wrote:26 Mar 2018

How many cards? For German, I suppose 5000 of vocabulary cards could serve for a B2 level (as the active vocabulary), and my last opportunity to pass is at the end of this year. Not sure whether this is possible, but I partially know at least 2000 words.
For medicine? I make at least 10 cards per page, one textbook has 400 pages on average, and I need to get through like 20. This looks crazy. Most decks by other students have around 10000 cards, but those people make really long cards I am unable to learn. So, if I make a deck of 30000 cards (an idea), I'll need to have it learnt by the end of January. That's like 300 days, so a 100 new cards a day. I can still succeed, if I get a month of delay, so perhaps 80 would suffice?

How are you doing with these cards, Cavesa?

Badly but thanks for asking anyways.

I am slowly and not too consistently working through the language cards (mostly one coursebook based deck for German). The medical ones came to a stop due to the Czech medicine studies interfering too much. Till lately, I had to go to school everyday AND study for the exams at the same time. This is not the standard way, vast majority of university students has some free study time before their huge final exams (by final, I mean end of studies exams). And I have to learn a lot of different stuff from the french medicine.

Yes, a lot of facts are the same. But I am forced to learn tons of rare stuff and alternative guidelines that I won't need (since I can imagine absolutely no way anyone could efficiently force m to work here after graduation). But those lots of the facts that are still the same are organised in a manner that has been impossible to keep track of recently.

Basically, I have returned to my normal study plan after my last wednesday's huge exam.
1 x

Uncle Roger
Orange Belt
Languages: Italian (Native), English (as good as you see me write it here?), Norwegian (C1?), French (B2), Swedish (B1?)

Postby Uncle Roger » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:15 pm

luke wrote:
Cavesa wrote:I've been playing with Anki again, trying to find a way to make it work for me both for languages and my medicine studies.

You will be an amazing medical professional!

Honestly, an Anki type of software should be mandatory for all medical practitioners. Medicine is a type of study that should really be refreshed and reviewed for as long as you'll be practising medicine, especially for GPs.

Apparently the Hardvard Schools of Medicine is switching to SRS for all of its students.
1 x
«If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.»
Frank Zappa

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:28 pm

Cavesa wrote:
I am slowly and not too consistently working through the language cards (mostly one coursebook based deck for German).

Do you still have to pass a B2 German test end of this year? By itself it shouldn't be super hard for you, but with medical studies at the same time I can't imagine :shock:
0 x

Glossy
Yellow Belt
Languages: Russian (native), English (almost native), French (reading: fluent, listening: intermediate, speaking: none), Spanish (reading: fluent, listening: upper intermediate, speaking: none), Mandarin (reading characters: intermediate, actively learning, listening: intermediate, actively learning, speaking: none), German (reading: upper intermediate, listening: none, speaking: none)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7920

Postby Glossy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:02 pm

I have two Anki decks. One has 23,116 cards, the other 2,834. I've done 1,642,271 reviews in the first deck and 222,359 in the second one. About 90% of my cards are language-related.

I've written about my experiences with Anki here:
https://lazyglossophiliac.blogspot.com/2015/07/anki.html

My Anki stats, not very up-to-date, can be found here:
https://lazyglossophiliac.blogspot.com/p/anki-stats.html

I'm pretty nerdy, so I actually like doing reviews. It helps to have an Aspie-like personality.

I learn things in bursts of enthusiasm. Anki makes sure that I don't forget this stuff after I move on to other hobbies. For example, during the periods when I was really excited about French I made almost 4,000 French cards. I can pick up French again any time I want to, almost where I left it. That's becuase I've been doing my reviews every day. Anki acts like a back burner.

Has it become easier to memorize things? I don't think so. Actually, I can see some deterioration in my Anki stats over time. That could be age-related. I'm 43. I'm happy to report though that I enjoy my hobbies as much as I did in my teens and twenties. And I enjoy doing reps as much as I did 10 years ago, when I first installed Anki.
5 x
Mandarin listening comprehension, hours: 1522 / 5000 (1,522/5,000)

Glossy
Yellow Belt
Languages: Russian (native), English (almost native), French (reading: fluent, listening: intermediate, speaking: none), Spanish (reading: fluent, listening: upper intermediate, speaking: none), Mandarin (reading characters: intermediate, actively learning, listening: intermediate, actively learning, speaking: none), German (reading: upper intermediate, listening: none, speaking: none)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7920

Postby Glossy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:22 pm

I'll try to answer some of the top poster's specific questions.

I've never tinkered with the algorithm. I usually add a few cards a day. During the periods when I added dozens of cards a day the number of reviews balooned by a larger amount than I expected. Which is OK, you just have to be ready for that.

I usually complete all of my reviews for the day. I remember when Anki played a celebratory animation when you did that, with appropriate music.

There were however periods years ago when I left dozens of reviews undone every day. Sometimes over a hundred. The main thing is not to let it snowball.

I'm against wholesale import of cards. I added most of my cards while reading or listening, looking up unfamiliar words one by one.
3 x
Mandarin listening comprehension, hours: 1522 / 5000 (1,522/5,000)

language_enthusiast
Languages: English, Spanish, Italian, French

Postby language_enthusiast » Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:45 am

Use premade high-quality Anki cards to save time. There are many available online.

Some people share their decks on:
https://ankiweb.net/

Or you can look into some specialized ones:
https://www.adrosverse.com/books-and-flashcards/
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”