Time Needed for Speaking Practice

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Time Needed for Speaking Practice

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:57 am

My own experience is that activation can be pretty quick if you really have a B2 level already as far as grammar, vocabulary and receptive skills go. Also, if you don’t like talking to other people so much, you can do a lot on your own. I’m the same way and often do one or two tutoring sessions and then have a three month gap. However, I’ve noticed a lot of improvement from doing the Output Challenge. It took me a while to get used to recording myself, but now that I have gotten over the initial discomfort, I find my fluency improving a lot. Writing helps too because then I have more time to think and look things up if I’m unsure. I would say that if you can find a good tutor, it would be good to do the occasional session in order to get feedback, but my experience is that I get relatively little feedback from tutors, unfortunately.
8 x

eamon0989
Languages: English (N) Spanish (C1) French (B1) Portuguese (Conversational) Italian (conversational) Mandarin (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6208

Re: Time Needed for Speaking Practice

Postby eamon0989 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:19 pm

I've actually done something similar, I have a C1 in Spanish so when I started learning Italian and Portuguese I could understand almost everything quite quickly, but of course speaking is another story. I highly recommend Glossika's GSR program, just repeating out loud so many sentences and doing it automatically it really boosts your speaking skills rapidly. I've had a few tutors be very surprised by how little time I'd been studying for how well I could speak. It's not because I'm very good it's just that Glossika forces you to produce without giving you time to think so it becomes automatic very quickly. A few weeks of that combined with lessons and you will improve very quickly. Hope that helps.
2 x
Language Enthusiast, Spanish (B2/C1), French (Conversational), Portuguese (Conversational), Italian (can get by) Twi (A1)

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”