To re-read or not to reread

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Re: To re-read or not to reread

Postby reineke » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:23 am

Revisiting and rereading something you read a while ago is substantially different from deliberate repeated reading. Based on OP's posts, I'd say he's too much into sentences, numbers, reps and counting. I also dare say he's.overreaching with Proust & Marquez.
1 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:54 am

sfuqua wrote:
Rereading... increases comprehension in L2 contexts.
To increase comprehension on the next book, which would be better, ...?

To reread the next book. You've said it yourself, no?
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Andy E
Yellow Belt
Languages: *
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8001

Postby Andy E » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:00 am

This is what Paul Nation has to say on re-reading:

When you have read a long text, is it better to re-read the same book or read a different one?

The advantages of re-reading a book are:
1. it will be a lot easier than reading it the first time
2. it will guarantee repetition of the vocabulary
3. it will provide an opportunity for recall of previously met vocabulary to occur
4. it may help develop reading fluency
5. it will take much less time than reading a different book of the same length.

The advantages of reading a different book are:
1. some of the words met in the previous book will be met again in varied meetings
2. there will be many new words to learn.

These lists suggest that re-reading is a good idea, and that it would be good to have a mixture of re-reading and different reading in a language learning program.

Disclaimer: I don't re-read as a rule. That's not to say I won't re-read a book some time later - I do - but I do that in L1 anyway. Generally, if I enjoy an author, I will look to read another book by the same writer which may well have similar benefits to re-reading as an author generally has a style and as a result a vocabulary pool.
6 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:23 pm

Nation also compared reading native books to cruel and unusual punishment. He recommends adapted readers. Graded readers are your best bet if you're counting on a sciency approach.

Selecting extensive reading materials:

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 5&start=70
0 x

白田龍
Orange Belt
Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, French, Persian, Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese.

Postby 白田龍 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:03 pm

Whereas for the language learning aspect of it I reckon I should re read every book at least once, the second read does not feel as interesting or engaging, thus I can't get myself to do it ever.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:53 pm

Or you can read a series of books by the same author, with one story (or a set of stories), and the same characters and setting. I find this very valuable and I think it might be thanks to the combination of the new stuff (I am not bored), and the old (the second or third volume is usually easier than the first).

About a book you've already read: did you like it? If you did and wouldn't mind reenjoying it, it can only help. There is no way it could harm you. If you are not eager about it, why torture yourself? You can get to the same result with a new book too, I'd say.

I think the difference is not that significant in the long run, just like choosing "a wrong book" is not as important as people sometimes think. We need to read at least 10000 pages to get to the really good level, sometimes 15000, or 20 or more. The numbers may vary, but I have yet to read a success story around here with just a few books and the same end level. 10000 pages, that is like 33 standard books (approximately 300 pages). Or 20 standard fantasy bricks of 500 pages :-) That is a lot of space to experiment on.
5 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:08 pm

Cavesa wrote:We need to read at least 10000 pages to get to the really good level, sometimes 15000, or 20 or more. The numbers may vary, but I have yet to read a success story around here with just a few books and the same end level.

What is the end level you're talking about? What level do the 10k-page people achieve?
2 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:38 am

What about a comfortable level? No struggle. Automatic comprehension. I don't know about CEFR ranks, but in numerous topics Emk has spoken about how much easier things got after 2,500 pages, 7,500 pages and so on.
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Andy E
Yellow Belt
Languages: *
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8001

Postby Andy E » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:30 am

白田龍 wrote:Whereas for the language learning aspect of it I reckon I should re-read every book at least once, the second read does not feel as interesting or engaging, thus I can't get myself to do it ever.

For me, it's not solely down to the language learning aspect, there's simply no way I would re-read a book straight away because as you noted the second read will not engage me - probably at all - as it's too immediately familiar.

Having said that, I thought about this a little more and I realised I have no idea how many times I have read Dune in both English and Spanish over the years (and I have both physical and ebooks versions in the two languages). Next to my chair in our lounge is a copy of El Padrino - another book I have read numerous times and it's many years since my last foray into it in Spanish. I found it in a box in the loft the other way while looking for something else and decided it was time for a re-read.

I read for enjoyment which is why, although I've tried intensive reading, I just don't get on with it. It always feels like a chore.
3 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:07 am

Cavesa wrote:We need to read at least 10000 pages to get to the really good level, sometimes 15000, or 20 or more. The numbers may vary, but I have yet to read a success story around here with just a few books and the same end level.

I’m beyond B2 while very likely under 5000 pages. If not under, then very little beyond 5000. Does this break your criteria? Still, I do agree, more pages will assist in elevating my level further.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”