To re-read or not to reread

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: To re-read or not to reread

Postby Cavesa » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:13 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:
Cavesa wrote:We need to read at least 10000 pages to get to the really good level, sometimes 15000, or 20 or more. The numbers may vary, but I have yet to read a success story around here with just a few books and the same end level.

I’m beyond B2 while very likely under 5000 pages. If not under, then very little beyond 5000. Does this break your criteria? Still, I do agree, more pages will assist in elevating my level further.

I was at B2 having read just one thin book in French. The numbers like 10000 or 15000 are more for the C levels, I'd say. At least in the relatively "easy" languages, I can't talk about Mandarin, Arabic, etc.

In general, I think you can easily get to B1 without any normal input, just with courses. That's what most learners in classes do. It is a bit harder but definitely doable with the B2 level, I doubt most people in classes add tons of non-coursebookish exposure to their routine.
4 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:27 am

Cavesa wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Cavesa wrote:We need to read at least 10000 pages to get to the really good level, sometimes 15000, or 20 or more. The numbers may vary, but I have yet to read a success story around here with just a few books and the same end level.

I’m beyond B2 while very likely under 5000 pages. If not under, then very little beyond 5000. Does this break your criteria? Still, I do agree, more pages will assist in elevating my level further.

I was at B2 having read just one thin book in French. The numbers like 10000 or 15000 are more for the C levels, I'd say. At least in the relatively "easy" languages, I can't talk about Mandarin, Arabic, etc.

In general, I think you can easily get to B1 without any normal input, just with courses. That's what most learners in classes do. It is a bit harder but definitely doable with the B2 level, I doubt most people in classes add tons of non-coursebookish exposure to their routine.

Thanks for the clarification Cavesa :) Read and watch/listen I shall (as I already am) ;) !
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:55 pm

Cavesa wrote:
I was at B2 having read just one thin book in French. The numbers like 10000 or 15000 are more for the C levels, I'd say.

Thanks. And I, C1 French with a 155-page junior fiction plus a similarly-sized nonfiction that I didn't finish. (No flashcards either).

Note though, your answering C levels was unfair. We have people who've read 10k+ pages who are still only B1 A2 in reading.

There are people who read a lot and reach C, there are people who read a lot and don't reach C. There are C people who have read a lot, there are C people who haven't read a lot.

PS. I like Jeff's idea that reading comfort can be a parameter.
Last edited by smallwhite on Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:15 pm

sfuqua wrote:To increase comprehension on the next book, which would be better, reading one book three times or reading three books?

My 2nd answer: depends on the books' levels.

Let the four books be books 1a, 1b, 1c and book 2 ("next book").

Scenario 1.
All easy books with frequent words. 98% of the words in book 1a = 98% of the words in book 1b = ... book 1c = ... book 2.
Better to read book 1a thrice because of certainty of word repetition, 98% of which will re-appear in book 2.

Scenario 2.
All hard books with rare words.
80% of the words in book 1a = ...
Better to read 3 different books (1a 1b 1c) because of higher chance of having encountered the words in book 2, though memory may be fainter - but you get context in book 2 to help.

That's the idea. Not sure if my maths is right, though. Are you a maths teacher? :P
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:53 am

My 3rd answer: depends on the amount of repetition that you need and that is in the 1st book.

If the 1st book is like this book for 6-ish-year-olds that I saw that has hardly any repetition:
This is a butterfly's nest. These are its eggs. They hatch into larvae. Then they form cocoons.
Then you probably won't remember much after just one read.

Whereas if the 1st book is very repetitive already, eg. Green Eggs and Ham, then you likely won't need to re-read it. So, it is better to read 2 other books instead. Very thick books that talk about very few different things fall into this category. Teenage romance, slice-of-life, maybe.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:39 pm

reineke wrote:Nation also compared reading native books to cruel and unusual punishment. He recommends adapted readers. Graded readers are your best bet if you're counting on a sciency approach.

Being told to read adapted readers only is not only a cruel and unusual punishment, but also totally unnecessary. You can use a text book or courseware to pass through the initial stage and bilingual texts to help you through the second stage, but after that you should be ready to use original native texts and not some regurgitated 'easified' stuff.
4 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:03 am

Iversen wrote:
reineke wrote:Nation also compared reading native books to cruel and unusual punishment. He recommends adapted readers. Graded readers are your best bet if you're counting on a sciency approach.

Being told to read adapted readers only is not only a cruel and unusual punishment, but also totally unnecessary. You can use a text book or courseware to pass through the initial stage and bilingual texts to help you through the second stage, but after that you should be ready to use original native texts and not some regurgitated 'easified' stuff.

I used to despise. such books.

Maria Luisa Banfi's Mistero All'abbazia (B2) features a lively little story with accompanying audio:
http://www.blackcat-cideb.com/en/catalogue/italian/

I don't know about the other books in the series but I am willing to support such efforts.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”