Opinions on this intermediate approach?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Cartouche
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Speaks: French, Italian, Japanese
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Opinions on this intermediate approach?

Postby Cartouche » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:02 pm

Hi, I'm studying 3 languages at the various intermediate levels - French, Japanese, and Italian. I keep a monthly schedule of my study activities, and I happened to notice that I'll be finishing my current materials in all three languages the last week of May. I thought it would be interesting to dovetail all three together and use the same materials concurrently for all three languages.

Currently, I'm using French in Action (all materials), Ultimate Living Language Italian (beg-int), and yet another review of the Japanese Genki 2 textbook. Also, I have chat partners for all three on Skype. I'm curious, what would folks here think of doing only Assimil and chats in all three languages starting June 1? I've seen the incredible 6 Assimil courses at once experiment thread, but this would be different, as it's languages I'm already familiar with.

My overall goal is to get to working with native materials (readers, podcasts, FluentU/youtube, continue chats) rather than active studying, drills, etc.

My initial idea is to do Assimil for all three, then a combo of Glossika/FluentU after that.

So my questions....
First, opinions on this course of action? Does it sound productive?

Also, after finishing French in Action, is going to Assimil a bit of a step back? I've done a fairly thorough job - videos, oral exercises, written, etc. After FIA, it is just time to leave the courses behind for native materials only? I'm wondering if Assimil French with Ease would be merely a repetition/reinforcement of what I already know. (Not necessarily a bad thing.) Maybe start with Using French instead of With Ease?

I appreciate any and all input.

**By the way, here's the courses I've already used..French (MT, Pim, FSI), Italian(MT, Pim), Japanese (Heisig, MT, Genki 1/2)**
Last edited by Cartouche on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Re: Opinions on this intermediate approach?

Postby tarvos » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:21 pm

Textbooks don't really work at the intermediate level unless they're dedicated coursebooks. Assimil is to start off with, not in the intermediate stage.
1 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”