"Kunduran Truk"

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

"Kunduran Truk"

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:32 pm

So, my mother language is Javanese, and there is a phrase in casual Javanese "kunduran truk" which means "get hit by a truck moving backward (you are behind that truck). What I ask it, is that any equivalent in that term in these language:
1. Indonesian
2. Formal Javanese
3. English
4. Arabic
5. Japanese
Native speakers of those languages please help.
0 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

Speakeasy

Re: "Kunduran Truk"

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:06 am

Monox D. I-Fly wrote: ..."kunduran truk" ... means "get hit by a truck moving backward (you are behind that truck)...
I presume that this is the literal definition of the expression. However, in English, "get hit by a truck moving backward" would be merely descriptive. What would be the colloquial meaning of "kunduran truk"?

"kunduran truk"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:39 am

Speakeasy wrote:
Monox D. I-Fly wrote: ..."kunduran truk" ... means "get hit by a truck moving backward (you are behind that truck)...
I presume that this is the literal definition of the expression. However, in English, "get hit by a truck moving backward" would be merely descriptive. What would be the colloquial meaning of "kunduran truk"?

"kunduran truk"

I’m not a native speaker of Javanese or Bahasa Indonesia but I understand “kunduran truk” to literally mean “reversing truck”. I have never studied Javanese but as a student of Indonesian it is partially understandable - “mundur” is the Indonesian verb for reverse and kemunduran would be a noun form - so the Javanese is not greatly different. What IS different is that in Javanese it seems the reversing truck actually hits something!

I just did a quick google and there is much discusssion about this expression and how it doesn’t translate easily into Bahasa Indonesia - Monox, have you seen that discussion around the web? I haven’t noticed any native speakers of Javanese or BI other than you on this forum.

I can see that something like “tong sampah kunduran truk”’ would mean that the reversing truck hit the garbage bin - but how would you just describe a reversing truck that didn’t hit anything in Javanese?

In English it makes me think of the difference between “the truck reversed.” and “the truck reversed into something”

Interesting.
0 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:32 pm

Adrianslont wrote:
Speakeasy wrote:

"kunduran truk"

I’m not a native speaker of Javanese or Bahasa Indonesia but I understand “kunduran truk” to literally mean “reversing truck”. I have never studied Javanese but as a student of Indonesian it is partially understandable - “mundur” is the Indonesian verb for reverse and kemunduran would be a noun form - so the Javanese is not greatly different. What IS different is that in Javanese it seems the reversing truck actually hits something!

Do you have that picture in a higher resolution? I can't read what's written there.

Adrianslont wrote:I just did a quick google and there is much discusssion about this expression and how it doesn’t translate easily into Bahasa Indonesia - Monox, have you seen that discussion around the web? I haven’t noticed any native speakers of Javanese or BI other than you on this forum.

I can see that something like “tong sampah kunduran truk”’ would mean that the reversing truck hit the garbage bin - but how would you just describe a reversing truck that didn’t hit anything in Javanese?

In English it makes me think of the difference between “the truck reversed.” and “the truck reversed into something”

Interesting.

Well, that's a infamous discussion amongst Javanese. And yes, very few Indonesian people are interested in international forums. When I joined a Digimon forum in 2010, the admin was surprised that there's a non-spam Indonesian account.
Well, can we say that the English equivalent is "gets hit by reversing truck", then?

Btw should I double-post this question to the Arabic and Japanese teams?
1 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:11 pm

Monox D. I-Fly wrote: ... Do you have that picture in a higher resolution? I can't read what's written there...
I presume that the question concering the picture is directed to me. I simply Googled “kunduran truk” and came across a selection comments and images:

kunduran truk – Google Search Results
https://www.google.ca/search?q=kunduran+truk&rlz=1C1GGRV_enCA760CA760&oq=kunduran+truk&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i61l3&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Coming back to your original question, are you looking for a simple translation of “kunduran truk”, which you have provided yourself in English, or does this expression have a connotation such as “victim of a stupid accident” or something else and it is this non-literal definition that you are looking for?
1 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:52 pm

Ah, yes. That question was for you. Unfortunately this forum doesn't have multi-quote feature.

I was asking about the literal equivalent, was my guess above your post correct?
0 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt

Postby Adrianslont » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:03 am

“Gets hit by a reversing truck” sounds good to me.
0 x

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:02 am

Backed over is the colloquial terminology I would have used.
0 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:24 pm

coldrainwater wrote:Backed over is the colloquial terminology I would have used.

Do other English native speaker also use that term?
0 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt

Postby Adrianslont » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:31 pm

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
coldrainwater wrote:Backed over is the colloquial terminology I would have used.

Do other English native speaker also use that term?

It’s good but to me it suggests the truck hit something smaller than itself and actually went OVER it. I would say “backed into”

Or as I said above, “reversed into”.
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”