Free-form and/or journal writing: Advice, tips and suggestions

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Free-form and/or journal writing: Advice, tips and suggestions

Postby Cavesa » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:37 pm

Jbean wrote:I saw this video a few days ago and I am planning on trying it today:

https://itsnachotime.com/cien-palabras/

This Spanish teacher recommends writing a short passage in your L2, translating it into your L1, making the translation as high a level as you can, and then using a translation program like Google Translate to convert it back to your L2 so that you can look for richer, more idiomatic ways to express yourself.

I am not sure I understand. The teacher suggests that the Google Translate result will be richer and more idiomatic and you should learn from it? :-D
Last edited by Cavesa on Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:28 pm

I do something like the scriptorium exercise, though without reading the texts aloud. But I see that more as a way to slow my reading down and leave myself time to look things up etc., which I would have skipped during extensive reading. Writing in target languages is another essential part of my language learning (and not least maintenance!), and doing it in the form of a multilingual (b)log is an excelent way to do it, both because you will be slightly more careful with your language when others are going to read it, and because your log will drop down the pages faster than an anchor at sea if you don't write fairly regularly. I had more readers at HTLAL during its heyday, but the numbers are unimportant - the point is that you write for others and not solely for your paper bin.

And I rarely have problems finding something to write about. I read about many topids on the indernet and watch TV (with or without sound) and sometimes get temporarily swallowed up by my hobbies - which leaves less time to study, but more topics to comment on. And finding suitable pictures is part of the fun.

As for the 'Spanish method' mentioned by jBeany I fully concur with the scepticism expressed by Cavesa. If you want to find out how to find a parallel to a certain expression in your L1 then use a dictionary - its suggestions will in all likelihood be more to the point than those of Google Translate. If you can't find it in your dictionary (and you have the time) then you could check the suggestion of Google T by looking it up in Google Search (with "" around the expression) and check the hit numbers. But to do this you don't have to pass through several translation stages - it is much more relevant to spend the time on expressions you would like to use in your own creative writings.

Using Google Translate to get summarily through a text in a L2, L3 or L27 without spending most of your time looking things up is quite another matter.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:22 pm

Yes, there are many better tools. Just the Google search bar is an excellent opportunity. We are usually not the first to use or look for a certain expression. Sometimes I get results leading to normal websites, sometimes even books, sometimes to language forums, or to context dictionaries.

Google Translate does have some uses, for example as a dictionary (Readlang uses it. I would prefer a different dictionary but cannot choose). But sounding natural is exactly the opposite of what it does even in related languages. Some members of this forum use it to get approximate translations of texts above their level from L2 to L1, if I remember correctly. But even that is already difficult to trust GT with.

Just earlier today, I read an investigative article about not existing Russian women looking for foreign boyfriends on the internet and wanting 3000 euro. They left there the original Google Translate based communication, which was hilarious. And as a follow up, a girl speaking Slovak was calling from a polish number,. The Google Translate romance was absolutely incredible :-D
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:28 pm

Beyond imitation – Five L2 writing teaching techniques that work, yet few Modern Language teachers use

December 18, 2015

"Some teachers train their students to compose in their native language first and then translate the L1 output thereby generated into the L2. This cumbersome process, however, must be utterly discouraged by teachers if they want students to attain some degree of fluency in target language writing and become more ‘spontaneous’ writers. Moreover, as Kobayashi and Rinnert (1992) found, this approach does indeed lead to more complex L2 output, but also lead to making many more errors than composing directly in the L2, for obvious reasons: the sentences language learners create when composing in their native language are usually too cognitively challenging and linguistically complex for their existing levels of L2 proficiency. Hence, the translations are bound to be inaccurate. Finally, it is this kind of approach which encourages less resilient and committed students to ‘google-translate’.

None of the above focuses the learners explicitly on the process of writing intended as the transformation of concepts or ideas (or ‘propositions’ as cognitive pyschologists call them) into words and syntactic structures...

Another strategy is to engage students in L2 reading in the belief that the language items in the articles or narratives they read in class or as assignments will be internalized and eventually resurface in their written pieces. This is not an erroneous assumption if students do read frequently and extensively in the target language.

Our take on the above is that these approaches usually work with the more talented, committed, self-reliant and highly metacognizant language learners, especially those who are highly proficient writers in their first language."

https://gianfrancoconti.wordpress.com/c ... 2-writing/

Six writing research findings that have impacted my teaching practice

"1. Baudrand-Aertker (1992) – Effects of journal writing on L2-writing proficiency

21 students of French in the third year at a high school in Louisiana were asked to keep a journal over a nine-month period. They were required to write two entries per week at least and were not engaged in any other type of writing tasks for the whole of the duration of the study. The teacher responded to the students’ journal entries focusing only on content – not on form. Using a pre-/post-test design Baudrand-Aertker found that:

The students’ written proficiency improved significantly as evidenced by the post-test and their own perception;
The students felt that the journals helped them improve their overall mastery of the target language;
The students reported positive attitudes towards the activity;
The vast majority of the students did not want to be corrected on their grammatical mistakes when engaging in journal writing.
Although this study has important limitations in that there was no control group to compare the independent variable’ effects with, I find the results interesting and I intend to give journal-writing a try myself next year.

Cooper and Morain (1980) – Effects of sentence combining instruction
The researchers investigated the effect of grammar instruction involving sentence combining tasks on the essay writing of 130 third quarter students of French. The subjects were divided into two groups: the experimental group received 60 to 150 minutes instruction per week through sentence combining exercises whilst the control group was taught ‘traditionally’ through workbook exercises. The experimental group outperformed the control group on seven of the nine measures of syntactic complexity adopted. Although the study did not look at the overall quality of the informants’ essays but only at the syntactic complexity, its findings are very interesting and has encouraged me to incorporate sentence combining tasks more regularly in my teaching strategies. Here is an discussion of the merits of sentence combining instruction and how it can be implemented:
https://gianfrancoconti.wordpress.com/2 ... chers-use/

Florez Estrada (1995) – Effects of interactive writing via computer as compared to traditional journaling
In this small scale study (28 university students of Spanish) Florez-Estrada compared a group of learners exchanging e-mail and chatting online with native-speaking partners with another group of students engaged in interactive paper writing with their teachers. The researcher found that the computer group outperformed the control group on the accuracy of key grammar points such as preterite vs imperfect, ‘ser’ vs ‘estar’, ‘por’ vs ‘para’ and others. The findings of this study were echoed by another study of 40 German students, Itzes (1940), which involved students in chatting via computer amongst themselves in the TL. A notable feature of this study is that the students chose the topics they wanted to chat about. These two studies confirms finding from my own practice; I often use Edmodo or Facebook to create a slow student-initiated chat on given topics in which the whole class is involved, every students sharing their opinions/comments with their peers with the assistance of the dictionaries. I have found this activity very beneficial even with groups of less able learners.

Nummikoski (1991) and Caruso (1994) – Effects of extensive L2-reading on L2-writing proficiency as contrasted with written practice.
Both studies investigated if L2 learners who are engaged in extensive L2-reading (with no writing instruction/practice) write more effectively than L2 learners who are involved in writing tasks but do no reading. The results of both studies show a significant advantage for the writing-only condition. These studies, which are by no means flawless, do challenge the commonly held assumption that we can improve our students’ writing proficiency by engaging them in extensive reading.

Martinez-Lage (1992) – Comparison of focus-on-form with focus-on-form-free writing
The researcher investigated the impact of two writing-task types on the writing output of 23 second-year university Spanish students. The same students were asked to write (a) typical assigned compositions and (b) dialogue journals in which they were told they would not be assessed on grammar accuracy. The surprising finding was that the syntactic complexity across both task types was equivalent but the focus-on-form-free task type (journal writing) was grammatically more accurate. I concur with Martinez-Lage on this one as I have tried this strategy myself with many of my AS groups over the years."

https://gianfrancoconti.wordpress.com/c ... 2-writing/

How about editing? Some insights from proofreading research

Proofreading theories and research provide us with the following important insights in the mechanisms that regulate essay editing. Firstly, proofreading involves different processes from reading: when one proofreads a passage, one is generally looking for misspellings, words that might have been omitted or repeated, typographical mistakes, etc., and as a result, comprehension is not the goal. When one is reading a text, on the other hand, one’s primary goal is comprehension. Thus, reading involves construction of meaning, while proofreading involves visual search. For this reason, in reading, short function words, not being semantically salient, are not fixated (Paap, Newsome, McDonald and Schvaneveldt, 1982). Consequently, errors on such words are less likely to be spotted when one is editing a text concentrating mostly on its meaning than when one is focusing one’s attention on the text as part of a proofreading task (Haber and Schindler, 1981). Errors are likely to decrease even further when the proofreader is forced to fixate on every single function word in isolation (Haber and Schindler, 1981).

It should also be noted that some proofreader’s errors appear to be due to acoustic coding. This refers to the phenomenon whereby the way a proofreader pronounces a word/diphthong/letter influences his/her detection of an error. For example, if an English learner of L2-Italian pronounces the ‘e’ in the singular noun ‘stazione’ (= train station) as [i] instead of [e], s/he will find it difficult to differentiate it from the plural ‘stazioni’ (= train stations). This may impinge on her/his ability to spot errors with that word involving the use of the singular for the plural and vice versa.

The implications for language learning are that learners may have be trained to go through their essays at least once focusing exclusively on form. Secondly, they should be asked to pay particular attention to those words (e.g. function words) and parts of words (e.g. verb endings) that they may not perceive as semantically salient.

Bilingual written production: adapting the first language model

Writing, although slower than speaking, is still processed at enormous speed in mature native speakers’ WSTM. The processing time required by a writer will be greater in the L2 than in the L1 and will increase at lower levels of proficiency: at the Wording stage, more time will be needed to match non-proceduralized lexical materials to propositions; at the Presenting stage, more time will be needed to select and retrieve the right grammatical form. Furthermore, more attentional effort will be required in rehearsing the sentence plans in WSTM; in fact, just like Hotopf’s (1980) young L1-writers, non- proficient L2-learners may be able to store in WSTM only two or three words at a time. This has implications for Agreement in Italian, French or Spanish in view of the fact that words more than three-four words distant from one another may still have to agree in gender and number."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gianfranco ... count/amp/
Last edited by reineke on Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:01 pm

reineke wrote:Here is an discussion of the merits of sentence combining instruction and how it can be implemented

Where is the discussion?
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:13 pm

rdearman wrote:
reineke wrote:Here is an discussion of the merits of sentence combining instruction and how it can be implemented

Where is the discussion?

https://gianfrancoconti.wordpress.com/2 ... chers-use/

The above blog posts contain some typos: "Itzes (1940)" etc.

Bonus

Conclusions
Taking into account the results and conclusions of the accompanying in-depth review
on the teaching of formal grammar (Andrews et al., 2004) the main implication for
policy of the current review is that the National Curriculum in England and
accompanying guidance needs to be revised to take into account the findings of
research: that the teaching of formal grammar (and its derivatives) is ineffective; and
the teaching of sentence combining is one (of probably a number of) method(s) that is
effective.
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/do ... 1&type=pdf
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”